“Wonderful stop and walk through history”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Whitman Mission

Whitman Mission
Ranked #2 of 101 things to do in Walla Walla
More attraction details
Owner description: This National Historic Site marks the location of the Waiilatpu Mission, a Presbyterian mission ministering to the Cayuse Indians from 1836 to 1847. The mission, a way station for Oregon Trail pioneers, ended tragically with the killing of missionaries by the Cayuse.
Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Wonderful stop and walk through history”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great view of the area at the top of the walk by the memorial, and very well narrated thanks to the plaques along the way. I knew nothing about this little piece of history before we went and I learned a great deal. Would definitely stop again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank travelerwannabe32

Omaha, Nebraska
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Gives a real sense of history”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I first visited the Whitman Mission fifty years ago as a freshman at Whitman College. The visit was part of freshman orientation and gave a real sense of history of the college's name sake. A visit continues to be a priority for me, because although Marcus Whitman was a great doctor and attempted to heal the native people, he was credited by the natives with bringing a fatal, communicable disease, and the native punished Whitman and his family and friends with a massacre. The mission is in a beautiful setting outside of Walla Walla, and each time I visit, I am struck by the peaceful setting as the resting place for these good people.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Tim D
United States
“Tragic Story”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Another reminder of the commitment that these great missionaries had by giving their lives in order to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Indians. Unfortunately the visitor center was closed the day we were there, but we had a nice stroll through the old settlement.The old ruts made by the covered wagons of 150 years ago remind you of another era when life was so very different.

Visited June 2014
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful insight into history”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The weather was not so good but the local was wonderful. The Ranger was very interesting and had lots of amazing information to share. Well worth the visit - just wish the weather was nicer. Oh well, we'll make a point to return.

Green Valley, Arizona
208 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 476 helpful votes
“Enjoyed My Visit”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you want to go here, my first recommendation is to check their hours and days of operation. I thought they opened at 8AM , but they do not open until 9AM. They also are only open five days a week-now it is Wednesday through Sunday, but the ranger told me that can vary depending on the season. In my case having the wrong time was a benefit as the grounds are always open and brochures were available outside the main door. I took the trails which are a large part of a visit here. Not only did I have the place to myself, but if you are a birder there was lots to see. A flock of white pelicans hung close by and a pair of Canada Geese with their five goslings entertained me.

Back to the trails. The one where the actual buildings were is completely accessible and very well done. The actual outline of the building is shown on the lawn and an interpretive sign tells specifics. At the main house you can see the outlines of the various rooms indicating how large the building was. Another trail leads up to the Great Grave and Whitman Memorial but it is steep and not accessible for those with mobility issues.

Inside the Visitor Center artifacts, photos,various exhibits, and video tell the story of the Whitmans who along with the Spauldings were the first American families to cross the continent overland. The tragic day on which Narcissa Whitman (the only woman) and her husband and other men were killed while the rest of the women and all the children were taken hostage is a small, but tragic, portion of the story as told at this historic site. To me learning the reasons for the conflict between the Whitmans and the Indians put the Whitmans in a less favorable light and helped me understand the basis for the attack. I was moved by my visit and glad I stopped.

Visited June 2014