“Holiday Inn Express, Walla Walla, WA”

Holiday Inn Express Walla Walla
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Walla Walla
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Holiday Inn Express at Walla Walla, WA is well located relative to downtown, and in a very quiet
and safe appearing area. Our check in was very well handled by Phaythoune, and we
would give her five stars for her help.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe J
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Walla Walla

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel was very nice, we only stayed one night, and it was very relaxing. The room was comfortable, clean and roomy. The beds were comfortable and the water pressure was great. It was a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Grand0420
Reviewed 17 March 2014

After 30 years of traveling I experienced a first at this hotel. A trip's value can be diminished by one person with a bad attitude. Last Friday night my wife and I checked in for two nights at this hotel. On the hotel's own Holiday Inn Express web site they highlight the fact that they are catering to people who are traveling to the area to enjoy the wine country. Or so they say.......

We had purchased a bottle of wine from a local winery. As you know, it is difficult to travel with a wine glass, or carry a wine opener if you are not checking luggage. Most hotels, if fact all that I have asked, always are accommodating and have a cheap opener to loan and a couple of glasses. When we asked the desk clerk if she had two wine glasses and an opener to loan, she said "no, we only have water glasses." My wife then said to her (without raising her voice, using expletives, etc.), that perhaps you could consider doing so since you are advertising the hotel catering to tourists to the wine country.

I don't know what type of day the desk clerk was having, but she immediately answered back in an angered tone, " you are making a personal assault on me, and indicated we were being abusive". We were stunned! All we did was suggest that they have a couple of wine glasses on hand!! We then asked her about an opener, and she said she would look in the kitchen. She walked into the kitchen while we waited. Two minutes later, she walked out of the kitchen directly past us without saying a word or acknowledging us, went behind the front desk and answered a question from another guest. We waited, 20 ft from from her, she never acknowledged us again. If it wasn't so late we would have checked out immediately.

My wife and I are Platinum level members with IHG, of which the Holiday Inn chain is apart of. Because this is the highest membership level, while not guaranteed, you are eligible for an upgrade on any nights stay. Our stay was a Friday and Saturday night, March 14 & 15. We asked the same desk agent while checking in, if any upgrade was available, and she said no due to a renovation. By looking out my window, I could see that the parking lot was less than 1/3 full, the hotel was mostly empty. There was no visible construction on our floor or the first floor. They did appear to be starting an addition to the hotel adjacent to the hotel. We have stayed at a number of IHG hotels this year, this is the first to not offer an upgrade. There was also no advance notice while reserving this room that the hotel was under renovation.

I would suggest that the manager/owner have an in-service on customer service. I'll donate a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People, because their service at the front desk, on the night we were there was disturbing. There is a great Hampton Inn in Walla Walla, perhaps the desk clerk we talked to could learn a lesson by spending a night there and seeing how professional and courteous desk agents behave. On future trips to Walla Walla, that is where we will be staying. I don't need to pay money to have a front desk agent insult me!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 1oldmanriver
tluthi_gm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walla Walla, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

The Staff and I at the Holiday Inn Express-Walla Walla would like to express our sincere apology. Our goal throughout this renovation has been that, you our guest, feel little to no impact during your stay. With that being said I recognize the need to accommodate our wine travelers and appreciate your recommendation for wine glasses to be available at the property.
We know that with becoming an IHG Platinum member you are not only traveling throughout most of the year, but you are also loyal to the IHG Brand. We regret that we were unable to offer you an upgrade during your stay but were indeed sold out on the night of your arrival. Although we did not have our construction crew on site during your stay, we did have a large number of guest rooms out of service. We are remodeling all of our guest bathrooms and sincerely hope that we get an opportunity to show them to you once completed.
We hope that you were able to enjoy your time in Walla Walla and have taken your recommendations to heart.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

With most Holiday Inn Express locations you know what to expect. Nothing extremely fancy, but nice clean rooms with a friendly and helpful staff. That's what you are going to get in Walla Walla. The entire staff, especially Phaythoune, will go above and beyond to assist you in having the most pleasant stay. The rooms are always clean, bright and properly stocked with supplies. Coffee is always hot and the evening cookies are a nice way to wind and relax after a long day of work and/or wine tasting! I look forward to staying here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the north get better light.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014

All staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful. Housekeeper Maria Cecilia Ortiz did an exceptional and through job of cleaning and refreshing my room. She was friendly, professional and very polite.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

From the moment of check-in, I couldn't ask for more. The desk agent, Phaythoune, was so welcoming and helpful. She gave me a room far from any disturbances which was important since I was working nights. Another lady gave me shuttle service. I have rarely been treated as well.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had a great stay at the motel. Very clean and excellent, friendly customer service. We were helped by a lady named Phaythoune, and she was very easy to talk to and even helped us by letting us know the great restaurants nearby. Very thankful we stopped there.

• Stayed: February 2014