“Disappointing evening”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to Whitehouse-Crawford was very disappointing. Service was decent and we enjoyed the onion appetizer. My halibut was nicely presented but over-cooked and nothing special. This place was highly recommended, but I doubt we will return or recommend it to others.

2  Thank WSU7377

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Walla Walla is known for their sweet onions I guess. We got the fried sweet onions starter and basically ate every shoestring despite it being fried. I saved the crumbs for our halibut that we shared. The fish was perfectly done but the snap peas stole the show.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I were visiting Walla Walla, WA for my wife's birthday. It was Friday night and we were looking for a place that offered excellent food, service, and an authentic Walla Walla experience. After looking through various restaurant guides, we unfortunately stumbled upon Whitehouse-Crawford (WC) and decided to give it a try. Well, as advertised in the guide it supposedly offered "a quintessential Walla Walla experience" and boy were they fabricating anything but the truth! We should have better consulted the negative reviews before rolling the dice on this one. We were appalled by our experience.

When we arrived at WC around 6:00PM the restaurant was empty. We didn't have a reservation, so we asked the greeter if there was availability, she said she could sit us along the wall, which was okay because it had a view of the kitchen. She wasn't overly friendly, but we were enjoying ourselves at this point.

Next, the water server came over and poured us water, there was no "hello," "hi," "how are you," nothing... I first thought to myself "maybe he's our server" but then based on his demeanor, I thought "nope, probably not."

Then our server came over. She wasn't too friendly or warm, and had no polish. To be honest she made us feel a little uncomfortable, like it was a burden we were there. We were especially surprised, since we have come to expect more when we are dining at a place where everything on the menu is well over $30.

We ordered a cheese plate for an appetizer, which was nothing special. Two drinks from the bar, which were blah. At this point, our experience was luke warm and mediocre at best, but then everything took a turn for the worse.

When our server came back to take our order for dinner, my wife ordered a salad. As an aside, like other online reviews have stated, the menu is quite drab and limited, nothing on it really sounded all that appealing. Anyway, I asked for the duck. Our server responded "I think we're out of the duck." At this point I was thinking... "Well are you or aren't you out of the duck?" She said "we're out" and just indicated that I needed to order something else. So I chose the beef tenderloin. Our server said "ok" and left.

Well, thereafter I overheard a couple sitting in an adjacent table very close next to us order the duck successfully from their server. I said to them "that's funny they told us they were out." They replied "that's weird" and they told their server when he returned.

Shortly thereafter, our server returned to our table and told me that she did have one duck left and that I was "getting the duck." Not wanting to make an issue of it, I said "okay, that sounds fine," however I was thinking "what about the tenderloin it's been like 20min."

After 10min or so the duck arrived. The duck tasted as if it had been in the freezer for years and that they just defrosted it just for me, it was utterly disgusting. At this point, I was pretty shaken by the whole ordeal, I couldn't eat any of the disgusting meat they called duck. I told the server I couldn't eat it. In response she took the plate away, and didn't offer any alternatives.

Next, a very very rude woman came over to our table, introduced herself as the manager, and said "you didn't like the duck," I replied, and then she just dropped the bill at our table. When I opened it, the duck was still on the bill, all $29 of it. I didn't even touch the gross duck.

At this point I talked with the manager again when it came time to discuss the bill. She said there was nothing she could do. Then the chef/owner came over, I told him what happened and he said he would remove the duck and comp our next visit in an attempt to mitigate the damages.

Funny thing is, there will not ever be a next visit.

Please stay away from this place. They have some major issues at bay here, and reading some prior reviews, our experience is not unique. The service was abhorrent, the food was worse, and the management doesn't care.

Steer clear of this disaster and go to a real restaurant like Saffron or T. Macaronne's.

5  Thank CalitoWash
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Do not miss this restaurant! They change the menu regularly with local fresh produce so I will only mention one. One the night I was there the special was morel mushroom soup with truffle oil and a handful of fresh green peas. Wonderful!

Everything else very well done too. Lovely wines -- but some above my price range ($200).

Thoughtful, careful service and very fine food.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our third dinner here in 3 years. The food is all very good, but the menu is fairly limited. Our group of 10 tried most of the appetizers and both salads and we enjoyed them all, however the foie gras appetizer was so cold (almost frozen) that the flavor was muted. The halibut and filet entrees were both amazing. I have to credit our server, who managed a group of 10 split between 2 tables, and managed to get 5 separate checks correctly on the first try even with some of us switching places a couple times (yes, we were a server's worst nightmare!)

1  Thank Katie H