“A special stay”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Walla Walla
Walla Walla
“A special stay”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Normally I would not pick an old motor inn style motel. We were reading trip advisor reviews and decided to go for a new experience. We had the last two rooms on the end. It was quiet and clean. Not luxury but comfort, like staying with family. Laid back, park in front of your door. A nice feel overall. I am glad we stayed there. The owner visited with us and offered ideas and opinions on local food, driving routes and tourism. She let us store our bikes in the storage. Came away thinking I might just try out other local motels in places,I travel in the future. There is something to be said for old fashioned and personal hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the size room to fit your family. There are several choices.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Springfield, Il
Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a wonderful find in Walla Walla. We traveled with our daughter a few weeks ago to visit the winery's. We stayed at the Colonial motel a couple nights. What a unique place. Family owned by two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. It's an older motel with parking directly in front of your door. A beautiful setting in the center yard with flowers and a small waterfall. We enjoyed sitting there in the evening enjoying the peaceful setting and our newly purchased wine. I would recommend staying at the Colonial to anyone. Very clean with good beds. For breakfast, head down the street to Mr. Ed's. Good food with huge servings!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard C
Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Colonial motel was the best place I stayed on my road trip, and I stayed in Marriots and Holiday Inns as well. Carolyn was helpful, funny, and very sweet. The room was big, clean, and a cool throwback into the old style motels. The location was pretty great as well; it was only a 5 minute drive down the road to the center of Walla Walla. If I ever get the chance to go back to Walla Walla, there is no doubt I will be staying at the Colonial Motel again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
St. Francis
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The owners were extremely kind and have owned this place for many years. Grounds were very well maintained. Our room was a double queen room and was very roomy with knotty pine walls. Beds were very comfortable and everything was extremely clean. Reasonably priced an we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The Colonial is probably how a lot of places used to be out there on the road. Good people. Good value. No frills. Perfect. I was passing through for some wine tasting with the wife and kids and this place totally fit the bill. Super clean, spacious and not too expensive. Don't miss Mr. Ed's Diner next door. Same vibe. Owners are super nice folks too. Great spot and high stars are merited.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Eastern Washington
Reviewed 12 August 2013

By not cheap I mean its clean, the owners were wonderful, and it has a wonderful garden with a little waterfall, several different seating areas, including one with a barbeque. The rooms are very small, but well appointed - we had a refrigerator and microwave. If you need more room, there is the "big room" with a kitchenette. Its in easy walking distance to a nice restaurant (Mr. Ed's). The air conditioner was a loud, but kept the room cool even in August in Eastern Washington!

Room Tip: The "big room" (#17) has a kitchenette and a seating area if you want more room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I am still trying to figure out why u can't book this room online. It's almost like they want you to call so they discriminate against you and then tell you they don't have a room available. I am extremely baffled by the rudeness of the female owner. One of the reasons why I was even considering staying in this motel was due to the excellent reviews and all the comments on how the owners a husband and wife were so friendly, needless to say I saw a different side of both. I called to see if they had a room available for 8/9. She was a bit hard to understand, and there was a gentleman also speaking in the background which made it harder to hear her . She asked if I need 1 or 2 beds, but then right away before I could respond quoted me for the 2 bed 84$ not bad, but I was trying to o inquire about the price for a 1 bed. She continued to talk as I was asking her what event if any was going on this weekend. She still never answered me , but started referring me to a different motel. Not sure why tho. I was also trying to inquire about their cancelation policy and at whay point if I booked now would be too late to cancel. She still didn't answer me . So I said so if I booked now, and something changes like things do . Would I be able to call early am and cancel to avoid a charge. I travel for work quite a bit, but things change at the last minute. She instantly said oh I can not help you I can not help you. I couldn't even respond before she hung up. I was so surprised and taken aback I called again. This time her husband answered politely and as I began to speak. I heard the wife in the background telling him to hang up. So outloud still on the phone with me he says, oh dont answer? Apparently they have caller id. I was in no way shape or form rude one bit to either one of them. Apparently mybusiness or money was not wanted , and I still don't know why. I have never in my life been treated so rudely by an estabestablishment that I would be doing business with. I am still appalled and may stop in there to chat with them in person. How can you treat people this way and still have any business. They think they can be completely rude to people when I am trying to bring their business money. I am still baffled, but I booked at the Hampton.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Nikita S
tricky81, Son of owners, marketing and maintenance at Walla Walla Garden Motel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must apologize for your bad experience trying to communicate with my mother who manages the daily operation of the motel. She is 79 years old and her hearing is getting worse. Based on your description I can only conclude that she could not properly hear you and was making assumptions about what you were saying and responding to what she thought she heard. This is becoming more of an issue as time passes and is very frustrating for her. As for not taking reservations online, my parents are totally incapable of any computer operation past the most basic functions so there is no way we can move to a computerized system. Secondarily, we won't move to an online reservation service because they take too high of a percentage. We would have to raise our prices 10% - 20% to cover the increased costs. Making you call is the only way we can offer you the best price and value.
A new management arrangement is in the works which should remedy some of these issues and let us move into the 21st century.
If you are here on a regular basis then just stop by and say hello and see what we have to offer.
- Rick Tuttle