Kingsgate Marriott Conference Center at the University of Cincinnati
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Phoenix,AZ
“Close to UC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

We stayed at the Kingsgate Marriott over Alumni(UC) weekend. We very much enjoyed our stay. The College of Medicine had their breakfast ,lunches, and meetings here as well as walking tours that started and ended here and a shuttle service to another hotel for the Sat. night reunion. The hotel was very clean and looked to be only 1-2 years old. Check in was a breeze,very friendly staff. We had a corner unit, I believe room 501, it was at the end of the hall as far away from the elevator as possible. It is a handicapped room, not sure why we received this room as we did not require this,but it was a great location. Room over looked the front of the hotel and fountain. Self parking in the garage at press time is $15. for overnight/night. The Bearcat lounge was very nice,we had a few drinks and appetizers upon arrival. We recieved a very good room rate of $118. + tax. TV is very large, but not many channels, bed is comfortable with lots of squishy pillows, but 1 firm pillow was in the closet. There is lotion, makeup wipes,shampoo, and conditioner provided. Would recommend this hotel for cleanlinest and friendly staff.

• Liked — How clean it was
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

I got this hotel after I booked through Priceline. I got a great rate ($75 for Memorial Day weekend). This hotel is a typical Marriott in terms of quality----nice rooms, nice beds/linens, friendly, competent staff, nice workout facility. The hotel is spotless and well-maintained. It is located on the University of Cincinnati medical campus, only a 5-minute drive to the lovely UC main campus (which has been beautifully rehabbed/redesigned in recent years; I am a 1996 graduate of the school and I didn't even recognize the place, it had changed so much in 12 years).

The hotel is a good bargain for weekend stays and much nicer than many other comparable hotels in Cincy, since Cincy as a city and its many hotels are all getting very rundown and dingy. The main drawback of this hotel is the parking garage, which costs $15 a night (!) for parking. And there are really no other options for parking unless you want to park 2 blocks away on the street in a very bad neighborhood. (The dangerous Avondale neighborhood that borders UC is very, very bad). So even if you do get a good rate for the hotel, the cost of parking can cancel out any savings. But this was not a big deal in my case, since I am a Marriott Rewards member and a frequent guest at Marriott properties, which are almost always head and shoulders above their competition.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Jillsephine
Morgantown, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2008

I stayed at this hotel for three nights while attending a conference downtown, choosing it over other Marriott properties due to previous reviews and its proximity to campus (U of Cin is a nice urban campus).

Check-in was painless, and other than forgetting to include parking fees upon check-out (fees are $15 a day, which seemed a bit high for not being in the downtown area), the front desk staff was pleasant and helpful.

The 7th floor room was typical Marriott quality, and done up in light colors. The fairly new, large screen LCD television was a pleasant suprise. The bathroom was particularly small. The room and grounds were very clean; as a university hotel that hosts many functions, I suppose that helps!

I utilized the restaurant and bar a few times, in part because you aren't close to other eating options without getting in your car and driving. Food quality was good, prices were what you might expect for Marriott ($12- breakfast buffet, $14 lunch buffet, $6-$12 for some bar food items) and the service was execellent. As noted in an earlier review, Elite Rewards members receive the breakfast buffet for free, so remember to tell them!

The hotel is a relatively quick ten-minute drive to the downtown area of the city (the concierge recommends taking Vine street all the way in - save yourself the trouble and use I-75), and there is a shuttle that runs every 20 minutes or so for those who lack a car and want to get around to the campus.

In summary, this is a nice option for Marriott fans who have either business on campus or who want to be close to downtown without being downtown. It doesn't have much character, and you are a bit limited without a car, but the facility and staff compensate for these shortcomings.

• Stayed March 2008
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

Clean, newer hotel. Great breakfast in the morning. Bar was nice. Very nice lobby.

Check in staff were very helpful and quick.

The rooms were nice. Bathroom was a bit small which surprised me considering it was a newer property. I prefer larger bathrooms. Bed was very comfortable and everything was clean.

I was suprised, for a newer place, at the lack of Wifi but they had free plug in internet which was fine.

It took a long time to get a taxi to come out there to pick us up.

Overall, good stay.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2007

spent 2 nights at this marriott. location was convenient. room was very clean, great bed, great pillows. bath had great rain shower. room had clock radio with ipod dock.

had breakfast buffet.. it was good but overpriced at $12
there are many great restaurants just down the street on ludlow ave, less than a mile from the hotel. also, the hotel has a free shuttle within a 2 mile radius.

parking was expensive.

overall, very happy with hotel. front desk staff was excellent every time we talked to them.

try to get a corner room. you get almost 2X the square footage, and a fridge.

• Liked — great room, great bed, free wifi
  • Disliked — parking is pricey
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank NavTrav
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2007

Having wanted not to be driving on New Years Eve after indulging in libations , I booked this hotel in advance of New Years by 3 weeks. I live about 25 minutes from this hotel, and took a taxi to and fro my parties destination in the city of Cincinnati. I would not have picked this hotel, but due to the fact that this particular weekend was the infamous Bengals/Steelers game, all rooms according to hotel web sites that I normally would stay( 4 star or higher) were already taken. This was the highest star rating available that night for 3 1/2 stars. I booked this hotel directly through its' web page. I am a(or thought I was) a Marriotts rewards member, but I will tell you later of this. First, you can read the many travels and hotels I have stayed, and feel I am a pretty good source for this sort of information. So, I booked the hotel, and right away got a conformation of 1 room, higher floor, and a guaranteed king bed. As my girlfriend and I prefer a king, but a queen is fine, but since I had a choice, I picked a king. 1 week prior to our arrival, I received an email from this hotel, asking nicely if I had any requests. There were many boxes I could choose from, such as a morning paper, more towels, wake up calls, or even an area to write them back a request that didn't conform to the pre set checked box format. I checked that more towels box, and wrote back in the section, that I need transportation from the hotel to a local sushi club, that was having a high end New Years Eve party. Pressed the magic send button, and got a confirmation that it went through. I thought this was a nice touch from the Marriott. It was nice, but upon arriving, no one outside to valet the car.I was in a tux and didn't want to use the self park. No big deal, I parked it out front, locked it, and checked in, and they later had the car in valet. Upon checking in, they stated there were no king beds only 2 queens. Told them that the conformation stated "guaranteed king", even showed this to her, but to no avail. Not a big deal, but I felt if you guarantee it, and advertise it, one should expect it. I said ok, and was now up to the room. The hotel itself is in the middle of University of Cincinnati campus. Not the nicest neighborhood, but ok if not walking anywhere. I had mapquested directions, and figured I had an idea where it is, as I am from Cincinnati. Got lost twice trying to find this hotel, even had my navigation told me where it was and it was not taking me to this hotel, but got us close. I pulled over, and called the hotel, and stated I needed directions, and they got me there. There is a sign, no bigger than 4 by 10 feet by the hotel telling you"this is a Marriott". Hotel is spotless. Very friendly and nice business type bar. Typical rooms, closet space. No safes or mini bars but, the room and beds were very comfortable. I had answered their email prior to coming that I would like more towels, but no extra towels in room. Asked if my transportation was there as I had responded to their email concierge. Stated here are two cab companies,(handed my a one inch piece of paper with 2 cab #'s on it)that we could call.So...while standing in fron tof the front desk check in ...I used my cell phone and made the call. Front desk never acknowledged any of my requests, or never thought to say that they would at least call us a cab, as they dropped the ball from their solicitation of me in a kind email, but seems their concierge email was fluff. Nothing I had requested was even acknowledged. Got up the next morning, very good nights sleep as beds were comfortable, and bill under door. No big deal. All was correct, but the $25 valet surprised me knowing that this hotel is not to the class or area of the Omni's, Westins downtown. I just felt $25 to valet in a hotel 10 minutes from the city, tucked inside a college campus was stiff, but this was no big deal, nor did I say anything. Check out went fine, but told her to make sure I get Marriott rewards points for stay, and they informed me I wasn't a member. Told her I was, and have been getting emails as a Marriotts reward member for a long time. I don't carry my rewards number with me, so basically, she told me there was nothing they could do. Again...no big deal, but was getting frustrated. I am not one to complain, and if you read most of my reviews, you will fine this true. I am not hard to please, but was dissapointed in the service here. The hotel was nice for a business traveller, and was spotless. Very nice, and would probably stay here again...but would triple check everything before I left.

• Liked — How clean the hotel was
  • Disliked — Service was spotty
  • Tips/Secrets — Book this in confidence, but be aware to check over specifics well
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank brent a
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2006

Very convenient to the U Cincinnati medical campus. Typical Marriott ambience including nice bedding. Extensive breakfast buffet that is free for Marriott Rewards members ($10.95 otherwise). Clean, comfy, large room. On-site gym, spa, and guest laundry. Free Internet.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business