“History lesson”

William Howard Taft National Historic Site
Ranked #33 of 183 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Birthplace of America's 27th president, now a museum containing momentos of Taft's personal life and political career.
Cincinnati, Ohio
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 186 helpful votes
“History lesson”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The William Howard Taft Historic site visit starts out in a building beside Taft's boyhood home with a 14 minute video presentation which was very interesting. The site is run by the national park service and a ranger walked us next door to the home after the video. She took us through a few of the rooms and answered many of our questions. We were then left on our own to explore the top floor which held many pictures and information about Taft. It hold my interest and I enjoyed the visit. The site is free of charge and there is also free parking in back of the visitor's center. We were there about 90 minutes.

Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Nice historic site”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

It is a nice stop and does not take too much time. The home is very well preserved with lots of exhibits on the second floor and in the Visitor Center. Taft did alot of good things I did'nt know about. Great educational site.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Jacob M
Louisville, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth a Stop”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Since we went in the middle of the week it was just me and my husband, which was nice because we got a private tour. Our guide was knowledgeable, but it seemed like she memorized what to say in each room and what was memorized was geared towards children. I would like to feel like I'm being spoken to instead of spoken at, but that's being nit picky. I also think it was unnecessary to use the mic since there were only two of us, but again, nit picky. Overall we had a nice time and learned a bit about a president we hadn't heard too much about (except the bathtub).

Visited October 2013
Orlando, Florida
284 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 314 helpful votes
“Nice Museum and Home Tour”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The site is located in a busy neighborhood. The site is on the smaller side, but well worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
Indianapolis
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“A Great Presidential Site, Sort of Hiding in Plain Sight”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

One great thing about the Taft home is that unlike a lot of presidential sites, you don't have to drive to the middle of nowhere to see it. But I also don't think it's very well known, so you might go past it many times without even knowing it's there. And it's a national historic site!

In my hometown, Indianapolis, we have the home of President Benjamin Harrison, and for some reason it seems to get a little more press than I gather the Taft home gets. Its location may be one reason for that. You have to use your imagination somewhat, because though the Taft home has been very carefully restored to its appearance during Taft's boyhood, it is closely surrounded - even tightly hemmed in - by a buzzing, modern urban neighborhood that includes the UC campus, Mount Adams and unfortunately, right behind the house where the Tafts' pasture once was, a sprawling judicial center.

But if you can get yourself inside the house with the door closed behind you, you are transported back to the time of Taft's boyhood. The guides are friendly and knowledgeable and the tour is quite extensive. Best of all, it's free, and probably much closer to whatever else you happen to be doing in Cincinnati than you realize.

A couple of tips. First, my visit was on a humid day in July, and the house is not air conditioned. It was bearable, but just a bit uncomfortable for me. So I agree with those who said that this would be a good Winter or cold weather day visit if you are sensitive to heat and humidity.

Second, several have commented on the tiny, insufficient parking lot next to the house. It IS tiny, and probably full when you get there. But there is a much larger auxiliary lot just behind and northeast of the house, accessed around the corner on a side street. If you know that additional lot is there, it's easy to get to, free, and connected to the house by a walkway. The tour entrance to the house isn't very well marked, but I found that you just want to go to the front door, and just walk right in.

Getting back to that large, modern judicial institution building that looms directly behind the house where the pasture once was - it occurs to me that it's strangely appropriate there. That's because Taft valued his career as a lawyer and judge, and his service as Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, much more than he valued being president. And he left a lasting positive legacy on the U.S. judiciary. So Taft was something of a "large judicial institution" unto himself. I guess that big building back there behind the house is strangely appropriate, after all.

I highly recommend this site!

Visited July 2013