“Interesting bit of Ohio and U.S. history”

Harriet Beecher Stowe House
Ranked #88 of 189 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Former home of the author who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I thought I was knowledgeable about Harriet Beecher Stowe, but I learned a lot in my short visit to this house. The tour guides were friendly and well-informed, making it a particularly worthwhile experience. They shared a lot about the family history and their ties with Oberlin University, which was new to me.

6  Thank NanjingBob

Reviewed 4 January 2013

This house was on the same complex as Mark Twain's house. We had a different guide and he was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Well worth a visit. I never realized the book Uncle Tom's Cabin was one of the causes for the Civil War. SO interesting.
Sally.
The gentleman who took us round was so concerned that he might bore us and nothing could have been further from the truth. Absolutely charming.

8  Thank Sally C
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I went a few years ago as part of a college history class field trip. It is interesting to find a great slice of history in Cincinnati. As others have said, it is not located in the best part of town, confirm your route in advance. The home is not what I would have expected. The first floor rooms have a few pieces of furniture. There are information panels in the rooms to give you information about the Beecher family and their place in history. The second floor has been turned into a contemporary art gallery which I found totally out of place in this home. I understand they operate on a very limited budget but I found the gallery really out of place. I enjoyed the gardens around the property. They needed some upkeep but you could get the feel of the grounds and what it must have been like in the 1800’s. It is worth a look for people who like history. The National Underground Railroad Museum is in downtown Cincinnati a few miles away. About an hour away is the Rankin House and The John Parker house located in Ripley, Ohio. Well worth the trip. You can get a real feel for what it must have been as a slave escaping to the North and the struggles once across the Ohio River. For all of these sites the operating hours are very limited, so be sure to check first. Also while in Ripley, Ohio check out Cohearts Riverhouse, great soups and sandwiches.

3  Thank tj3js289
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This was very interesting as we were traveling around for historic homes and Cincinnati history. Amazing what history is to be found outside our own doorsteps.

2  Thank Egoldy12
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Great way to learn about Harriet Beecher Stowe's life and experiences before moving to Ct. I visited her home in Ct. last year and after planning a zip lining trip to Cincinnati area, realized she had lived here as well so I stopped in. It was well worth the visit. Area around the house is a little seedy but don't let it deter you. Picked up a pamphlet there on Maysville Kentucky. The original Underground Railroad Museum is located there. Along the way to that museum I stopped at the Rankin House(also a stop on the UR). The John Parker house is also on the route to Maysville. Would recommend them all.

5  Thank lucia2230