“An incredible evening!”

Ranked #128 of 1,953 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Price range: US$84 - US$84
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Cincinnati Dinner Train features dining on three finely restored 1950's era dining cars. Also featured, the Queen City Tavern car, which is equipped with a full service bar with music and two open side doors for viewing as we travel through Cincinnati. The public dinner train operates every Saturday throughout the year, with the exception of January and February. Tickets are sold in advance and will be held at check-in the day of the excursion. Tickets are available in the dining cars and the coach car.
Dayton, OH
“An incredible evening!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

The tickets for this dinner train were purchased for my wife and I as a gift. Although I am a train buff I had never heard of this dinner train and was looking forward to the evening. Your main course and dessert choices are made in advance via their website.

We were told to park in the BBQ Review parking lot and were pleased to find plenty of close parking. The fact that you park in this lot is not a coincidence as the food is provided by the BBQ Review and most of the staff works there as well. You'll have your photo taken just before getting on the train. The photographer will come around after your meal to give you the opportunity to purchase a color print.

As we boarded the train we were pleased to find the 1940s era passenger cars had undergone a beautiful restoration. Seating is four to a table (two on each side). If you are there as a couple there is a fairly good chance you'll find another couple seated across from you. However, the train was not full during our visit and we had the table to ourselves.

The staff immediately came to our table, got our drink orders and confirmed our choice of entree and dessert. Your meal with begin with crackers and cheese and will be followed by a basic salad. My wife had salmon and I had the prime rib. We both agreed the food was excellent and the portion size was good. Throughout the meal the staff was friendly, fast and very helpful. As an example, when my wife took the last pat of butter more was brought to our table in less than a minute. It is also important to mention the tip is not included in the ticket price.

The train trip itself was pleasant. Travelers should be aware the train goes down the track for about an hour and a half and then returns the way it came. Some may be dismayed by the lack of scenery, but my wife and I found it somewhat enjoyable. It is important to remember this is a dinner train and not what one would call a scenic train ride.

This is a unique experience and I believe everybody should do it at least once. However, I believe young children will become bored with the experience unless part of something more elaborate such as a birthday party.

• Visited July 2012
6 Thank Alaska_Railroad

“Unique Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have been one the Cincinnati Dinner train twice and have thouroghly enjoyed it both times. Dinner is good, the staff is friendly and what an experience to be able to ride a train. I am young enough for train travel to have been replaced by airplanes by the time I was born so the evening was a thrill!

2 Thank ABPtraveler
“Must see if you like trains and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I found this experience here on trip advior. I was amazed when they mention they dont advertise as the cars were packed. We bought our tickets same day and arrived a little after 5. You should know the meetup spot is in a BBQ parking lot and does have a road sign.
Once on the train we went to the bar car and had a drink and mingled with other passengers. Everyone (including the staff) were so friendly. The train takes off promptly at 6 and you will find "snacks"at your table;cheese and crackers. The owner comes around and introduces himself while also telling great stories along the way. Very funny and personable. Ask him how he got into the business. Truly an American "can do" attittude.
We had chicken and prime rib. We thought prime rib was a bit cold but the chicken was delicious. Not a fan of the veggies.
The view on the first half was not great but wait for it...it gets better.
Overall a great experience and I would recommend highly for anyone visiting or a great date night.

5 Thank RealMrsStraub
Columbus, Ohio
“More of a dinner date than a train ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

No opportunity to get out and view the train nor is it a very scenic route. Perfect venue for a different dinning experience, adult birthday, wedding anniversary, etc. but not a train ride. As it is this is not a good choice for families small kids will get bored stuck on a train listening to the adults talk for 3 hours. Might be better if they served dinner on the way to the park stopped let you get out and explore the park for a while and then served desert back to the loading point. Food quality, presentation and portion size were all good.

Here again souvenir photo should be geared more towards the train (or even somewhere in the park) and less about the over grown weeds beside the tracks.

Above all I would have to say the staff is what makes this a very good experience. They all give a 100% to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying your trip. Hopefully the management recognizes this and rewards them appropriately.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank jeff d
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Christmas Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I do a dress up dinner every year around Christmas time. We chose the Cincinnati Dinner train this year and were quite pleased!

You have to book WAY early since reservations fill up quickly.

It was just the two of us and we got lucky because we got an end-table where they only sat the two of us. Please note that if there are only two of you, unless you get one of the two end tables or you pay for the other two seats, you will be sat with another couple, since all the rest of the tables are 4 tops.

The ride was 3 hours, start to finish. The food was spaced nicely and very tasty. We would have liked some Christmas music, but they played music from WGRR oldies - to their credit, it WAS oldies night, as stated on the website, but it was one of the only nights availible for us.

The service was great. Be aware that soft drinks are not included and you cannot make food substitutions. The menu will be what you pre-select before the ride. The cost is $74.50 a person for the ride and dinner. A bit pricey, but you are paying for the experience of the whole thing.

Ladies, bring a sweater if you go in the winter months. It was a bit chilly. And the train does rock quite a bit. Walking to the restroom was interesting!

It was dark out for the whole ride, so there was not much to see, but when we passed something of note, they told us over the PA system. Neat history!

We had a nice time, just us two, but it also would have been a fun thing to do with another couple.

• Visited December 2011