SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Midtown
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$235
US$199
US$193
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati(Cincinnati)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$387
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewseden parkclose to downtownshower roombrown sugartoilet areaparking chargeseparate roomslarge tvfront desk staffart museumshort drivevery clean hotelpull out couchstayed here for one nightroom facingfree breakfastsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Although this hotel was recommended by Christ Hospital, they would not provide a special rate for us. It was $189. The handicap room on 3rd floor did not have enough room for wheel chair to maneuver around the beds. Bathroom was appropriate size and well equipped.

Room Tip: A higher floor is needed due to a lot of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sade37664
SpringHillCincy, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are very sorry you found it difficult to maneuver around the beds in the room, we certainly don't like to hear that. As for the rates, we are glad to offer the Christ Hospital rate as long as it is available but actually there are some dates when that rate is not available although it does not happen often.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your experience with us.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My group of 5 women stayed at the Springhill Suites over Memorial Day weekend in May 2014. The hotel is located just outside the central downtown area, although it's not within easy walking distance of any shops or restaurants. It is however just a short walk away from Eden Park. It's not a particularity picturesque area, being part of an office complex with Humana and some other large office buildings, but it's a safe, quiet area. In general I found the hotel to be clean, well-maintained, modern, and conveniently located. I did have some minor issues that I wanted to mention, but overall I was satisfied with my stay.

First, the basic layout: The room had 2 double beds and a full-size pull-out sofa bed, separated by a desk with a tall hutch made out of frosted plastic. The sofa had a chaise at one end and came with several throw pillows, and each bed had 4 pillows. A large TV was placed between the sitting area and the sleeping area and could be swiveled to face either area. Instead of a closet, there was a wardrobe with a full length mirror on the front and an iron, ironing board and hairdryer inside. There was a long wooden bench along the back of the room under the window. There were 2 separate bathrooms, one with a tub/shower and vanity w/sink, the other with the toilet and a small pedestal sink. The kitchenette area included a microwave, a mini-fridge (no freezer compartment), and a coffeemaker that brewed directly into the provided foam cups.

The bathrooms were a good size, and the tub had a curved shower rail with double curtains. Water pressure was fine and the controls were easy to operate. The vanity area was spacious and had a large lighted mirror. The provided toiletries included Paul Mitchell shampoo & conditioner and generic face & body bars. The main problem I had with the bathroom was inadequate towel hangers. The bathroom had one single robe hook and no towel bars, so if you wanted to hang a robe and a towel, or multiple towels, you had to layer them together on the same hook, so they couldn't dry properly. There was also no shelf or rack to hold your clean clothes; you could put them on top of the vanity but you would have to dry the counter first as it was often wet. There was a small glass shelf about 4" deep and 16" wide which could be used to hold toiletries but wasn't useful to hold clothes or towels.

The toilet room had a weird mirror; since the sink was in the corner, the mirror was made in two pieces that joined in the corner. Since the mirrors were angled, they reflected not only your face but also each other, so you would see a distorted version of yourself. It was too disorienting to use for styling hair or makeup, but OK for checking to make sure you didn't have toothpaste on your face.

Both bathroom doors were sliding doors that did not lock or even latch closed. There was a very small gap between the door and the wall, but you couldn't see into the bathroom unless you went right up to the door and peeped through the crack. Speaking of peeking, the toilet room door was made of solid wood but the shower room door was made of translucent plastic. It wasn't transparent enough to see more than a shadow moving behind the door, even with the light on, but combined with the non-latching door, some people might feel insecure about it.

For storage, there were two drawers in the TV stand and 3 drawers in the wardrobe; the wardrobe also had a clothing rail with about a dozen wooden hangers. The long wooden bench easily held two small rolling suitcases, and we also used the top of the drawer unit that was inside the wardrobe as a luggage rack. The nightstand had only open shelves, no drawers. I wish the room had had some wall hooks; with 5 women in one room, there was nowhere to hang purses or shopping bags.

The hotel advertised in-room high speed internet, but when I tried to connect wirelessly I was unable to do so. Three people in my group all tried to use WiFi in the room and were not able to connect. However, we found that once we went down to the lobby we could log on, and then when we went back to the room the WiFi worked without a problem. In the room, the desk had an ethernet cable for wired connection, and it also included both a desk lamp and a rather annoying florescent light that was built into the desk. The room did not have a safe for valuables although I believe one was available at the front desk. There was a workstation in the the lobby with two computers and a printer.

There was a large turnover of employees at the front desk; some smiled and greeted us when we walked by and some would ignore us. The housekeeping staff was polite, especially one male housekeeper who made friendly conversation both times we saw him in the hall. Housekeeping was a little hit-or-miss; out of the 4 times housekeeping serviced our room, they neglected to replace used cups and coffee packets 2 times, and did not replace used toiletries or the ice bucket liner once. Other than that, the beds, bathrooms and floors looked clean & well-maintained. The sofa smelled a little musty but that was to be expected.

I was quite pleased with the breakfast buffet, which offered many choices. There was regular or decaf coffee, tea (assorted bags + hot water), orange or apple juice, milk (fat-free or 2%), and iced water. Scrambled eggs were served with optional toppings of shredded cheese, spinach, salsa, or hot sauce. Oatmeal came with a variety of toppings: raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, sliced almonds, brown sugar, chocolate chips, honey, and agave syrup. Cereal choices included Cheerios, Kashi GoLean, Corn Pops and Kellogg's granola. The baked goods included croissants, 2 kinds of bagels, wheat bread (toaster was available), pound cake, apple cinnamon muffins, and spreads: butter, margarine, cream cheese, peanut butter, Nutella, and assorted jellies. Fruits included apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, and pineapple chunks. Rounding out the offerings were boiled eggs, 3 kinds of yogurt, sliced lunch meat and sliced cheese. Every day a different hot meat item was served: the first day we had pork sausage patties and make-your-own waffles, the second day was sausage gravy with biscuits, the third day was turkey sausage links, and the fourth day was a hash made of sausage, potatoes and peppers. One nice thing about the buffet was that they provided plastic takeaway containers if you wanted to take your meal to go.

There was plenty of parking, and although they charged $8 a night to park, I am used to paying much more for hotel parking in the city so I was not upset about that. Something that I did find rather disappointing was that the hotel had no recycling facilities. I wasn't expecting an in-room recycling bin, but it would have been nice to at least have a station in the lobby for newspapers, plastic bottles, and soda cans. Hotels that do not offer recycling facilities always seem rather old-fashioned to me, and not in a good way.

Would I stay here again? Hard to say. While I was overall satisfied with my stay, if I were to visit Cincinnati again I might want to stay somewhere further downtown, in a building with more character that is within walking distance to shops, restaurants or attractions, even though a hotel like that would certainly cost more than Springhill Suites (for which I paid the very reasonable price of $150/night). Springhill Suites' biggest pluses in my opinion were: (1) good price for room & parking; (2) room accommodated all 5 of us without having to pay for a roll-away bed; (3) great breakfast buffet; and (4) clean, comfortable and convenient. The biggest minuses were: (1) no walking to shops or restaurants; (2) lack of towel bars in bathroom or hanging hooks in room; (3) no recycling; and (4) bland atmosphere with no real character. However, despite the drawbacks, I don't think I could have gotten a better room for the money I spent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tessarat
SpringHillCincy, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We appreciate your thorough review of our hotel and thank you for staying with us on your visit to Cincinnati. It is great that you took the time to share your thoughts about our property. In response to one of your points, yes we have received feedback regarding the towel racks in the bathrooms and would be happy to look into changing that situation. Next, very glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We are proud of our menu offerings. Also, thank you for your comments about the internet, staff and layout. All these things will be looked at further to see what we can do to improve our service.

Thank you again for your stay with us and your comments!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My children attended Xavier University and this has been our go to hotel for the past 3 years. We love the attentive staff. On one stay upon receiving our room assignment and realized it was near the bar we went to the front desk and they gladly moved us to another room.
Our last stay was to watch family members run the Flying Pig Marathon. The hotel was great. They even had food out for the runners at 5am. Even though they could not promise late check out for marathon day, when we arrived at the hotel 15mins prior to check out they told us it was ok to take our time and they would not charge extra.
We love the 2 separate sinks since it makes getting ready for events like graduation easier for 2 or more people.
It is easy on and off to I-71 so you can get to downtown in minutes.
I will be staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review! We love our Xavier families and are so glad you stayed with us during the Flying Pig as well. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Springhill Suites Cincinnati Midtown the next time you come to visit your Xavier student. Go Muskies!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went to Cincinnati for a Saturday ball game and stayed the night here at the suites. The room was double of a standard sized room with updated furnishings and bathrooms. Pool was ok for getting wet but a little cold for indoor pool. Has a little bar that opens around 5 pm til 11. Outside was well taken car of and a fairly secure lot with hotel about 5 minutes from ball park. Cab ride under 10 bucks. Good choice for weekend stay

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank love2travelIndy
SpringHillCincy, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thanks for your review, we are so glad you stayed with us. We will check the temperature of the pool as it is heated. It's nice to hear you came to enjoy our city. We'd love to have you back!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here last night with my family. I am a Marriott Rewards member and specifically chose a Springhill Suites. The room was clean and a nice size, even with two kids. The pool was small but adequate for our needs. My only complaint is the staff. We needed extra pillows and an additional blanket. We called the front desk at 10:15 pm. Thirty minutes later, when my kids were falling asleep, my husband walked down the hall (we were on the first floor, just down the hall from the front desk) to the front desk to get them himself. There was one security guard and one person at the desk. This morning, my husband went to get breakfast. The hotel staf was sitting around eating the breakfast that was being prepared for the guests. I've never heard of hotel staff eating in front of the guests. To make matters worse, they were all complaining about all they had to do that day and yelling to the front desk. It was very unprofessional and not the type of actions I expect from a hotel that is $159/night. I think they need to have more staff training.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank HoosierMama40
SpringHillCincy, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

We appreciate your comments in your review, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. You indicated in your response that your experience with our staff was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns about the staff so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.