“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in Cincinnati
Fort Thomas
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

Stayed here for one night for a reception the following evening. Brand new, very clean. Lobby is beautiful! Large circular area with flat screen and comy chairs surrounded by floor length jewel colored sheers; quite unique. Bar in lobby also. Very good breakfast served every morning included in room price. Eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, pastries etc. Room had 2 queen size beds which were very comfortable. Living area had desk, sectional sofa, fridge, microwave. Colors are all rich jewel tones.....beautiful All accesories and fixtures are very contemporary and nicely done. Nice view of the city also.

Located right on I71, but did not notice any noise from the interstate. You do need a car if you are staying here or I suppose you could just use local taxis. Nothing close to walk to but only a stones throw from both stadiums and downtown, not to mention Eden Park, Mount Adams, Newport on the Levee, major hospitals, University of Cincinnati and several nice shopping areas such as Kenwood Towne Center and Rookwood Commons.

I live in the Cincinnati area and definitely have any of my family or friends stay here!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

I was nervous about staying here after reading previous reviews. Plus, I was wary of the location after looking a bit at the surrounding area. But I kept my reso because of it's proximity to University of Cincinnati (the place I was visiting). Once we arrived, I was thrilled. The hotel is fresh and new, uniquely decorated in the public areas and the rooms are quite contemporary with colors, furniture, and fixtures. I do agree that the toilet/shower areas (I don't quite know how to word them) are unique. I also agree that the toilet stall is odd because it is small and the door is a rolling type that comes out of the wall, rather than the typical hinge-type door. Rooms feature a muted turquoise color, along with a few other subdued hues.

I really liked it here and felt safe. Business buildings are located close by and the historic Mt. Adams is only about a mile up the hill. Mt. Adams has wonderful restaurants and shops--all are unique, no fast food at all. Great city and river views can be had from up there. It's only about 5 minutes from the University and freeway access couldn't be easier. It also seems easy to access the stadiums close by.

Staff was fantastic. All were friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast wasn't anything different from what other hotels of this calibre offer. But it was well presented, the areas clean and well stocked.

If I return to the area, this will definitely be my 1st choice. I recommend this hotel definitely for business travelers or for families traveling with older children.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Illinois City, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

Stayed here 2 nights so we could attend Reds Game. Hotel still smells new, but they hired a bad architect. Strangest thing is the bathroom which has been split into 2 "closets". One with a shower & sink and other with a toilet & sink. Both have pocket doors that private no privacy. The shower closet has a fogged door so when the wife took an early shower the entire room lit up. No one liked the toilet closet which was 2 feet from the beds with a pocket door that was 2" from the wall & did not lock. More privacy in a public stall. Just strange. As others have stated $8 for parking that anyone can access is a scam. The front desk hammers you when you check in to see if you brought a car because they can wait to add $8 to your bill.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cel1964
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Very new property and very clean. We had a very pleasant stay overall. The staff was generally helpful and the maid was amazing. She was probably one of the best I've expierenced and was really customer focused.

This is a little different room layout than other Springhill Suites with a more modern look. But overall it is the same room you get at the properties throughout the US. There were some maint problems, door handle fell off, sliding glass for computer desk was stuck, and the shower leaked on to the floor when the door didn't seal correctly.

The fitness area isn't all that great. One of the treadmills is impossible to run on due to a weak motor, the weights are limited, and there isn't a universal machine of any kind. Pool is small, but useful. There isn't a hot tub which seems odd.

Location is about a mile or two from Downtown. The area around the hotel is fine. There is a nice park across the street which was nice to run in. There is also a college bar area really close, which I ran across while running. It is a perfectly safe walk to the downtown area if you want to do that, but you definately will walk through some low income spots.

Breakfast was done very nicely and they kept is well stocked. The workers were staying on top of refreshing all of the items. We eat early, so there wasn't much of a crowd. Also we stayed over a weekend and this is primarily a business hotel, so they didn't seem very busy.

My biggest complaint is the price for the room for a weekend stay. We got a discount through Marriott, so it wasn't a bad price. However, their standard price compared to a downtown hotel like the Hyatt isn't worth it. For business I wouldn't mind the price and location, but with my family I will pay less next time and stay downtown.

Overall a good hotel with an enjoyable expierence, but there are several areas that should improve to make this worth the money.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

I echo previous reviewers in saying this hotel has more style than one would expect from the brand. It is located near Eden Park, which apparently is Cincinnati's crown jewel of parks....if you can ignore the rough neighbourhoods nearby.

That said, this is not a hotel to stay at without a car. There is absolutely nothing within safe walking distance. However, with car, this place is a very good value, especially for folks who don't want to be downtown, but rather close-in.

The rooms are modern in design and decor, with eco-friendly touches, a euro-style bathroom (where the toilet and a hand sink is in a separate area from the shower and main sink). The bathroom has a wonderful large walk-in shower, and a nicely lit vanity, perhaps one of the best I've ever seen from Marriott.

I found the room pleasingly quiet, despite literally adjacent to I-71 (the hotel is in an office park, mainly with Humana Offices, 2 or 3 Meters from the the highway!). There's probably more noise from the HVAC unit than the highway, which was surprising.

Fitness center is moderately equipped, with several cardio machines, some dumbells, and a chair bench. The hotel could add some abdominal equipment, and I'd be happier. An indoor pool is small, and the draw seemed mainly for families. Speaking of that, it is very close the the Cincinnati Children's hospital campus, and an excellent option for those needing to be nearby.

Internet was wireless, free, and flawless, and the work area was comfortable and ergonomic. I particularly enjoyed the big sofa to relax on, when winding down the workday. The beds were average, but comfortable.

Hotel's misses:

Breakfast was bland, but basic. I suppose you can't complain for the free price, but this hotel also commands rates similar to full-service hotels nearby. I did expect more fruits and hot options for that price.

Parking is $8? Are you kidding? Clearly the hotel's way of adding on extra to the room rate without being honest about it. This should be free, especially in this part of town.

Hotel bar is so-so. They have bar-food, but nothing very palatable. I would suggest nearby downtown restaurants, of traveling North on I-71 to exit 6 for a variety of places, including a Whole Foods store. On the plus side, the drinks were reasonably priced for a hotel. The rooms at least have refrigerators and microwaves, which might come in handy if you arrive late (hotel has frozen meals in their lobby store).

Stay here for comfort and if you have a car. If you're without a car, or want to do a lot of the tourist options on foot, or enjoy a full-service restaurant, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Bowling Green, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

This new Springhill Suites just opened on April 15, 2009, according to staff. I'll sum up my family's favorites and give a couple suggestions for improvement. We stayed 3 nights, June 18-21, 2009.

HIghlights:
1) The hotel has a lot of style for a hotel in this class. It really has a trendy, boutique hotel feel. I felt like I could have been in a small Manhattan hotel. The lobby has nice sitting areas and places for hanging out, decorated very stylishly. Everything has the feel of being very new and clean, which it is.
2) The staff is ultra-friendly. Check-in was a breeze, the rooms were cleaned very well and we were left extra towels without asking. When we called for extra blankets, they were brought up promptly. The front desk staff gave my kids free lollipops every time we passed through the lobby.
3) The rooms are very unique, not your standard Springhill Suites rooms. No, they aren't truly what I would call suites like you see in an Embassy Suites, but they were plenty large for my family of 5. The bathroom was actually two rooms, one with the shower/tub and one with the other facilities. Sliding doors and unique light fixtures gave it almost an Asian feel. There were reading lights attached to both beds' headboards. The shower had three nozzles which was kind of fun. Just a lot of little extras you would expect in a higher class of hotel.
4) The indoor pool was a lot of fun for the kids. Small and nothing special, but not crowded and they had fun. We didn't use the exercise room, but it is open 24 hours.
5) Free breakfast. Waffle station, fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. We had a nice breakfast all three mornings at the hotel and this saved us some money for a family of 5.
6) Free high-speed internet throughout the hotel. Everyone else seems to charge at least $9.95 for this perk any more.

Suggestions:
1) Parking in the structure beneath the hotel lot is $8 per day, but there is plenty of free parking just outside the hotel's front entrance. We didn't realize this, because you come to the garage entrance first. I never thought about driving on up to the front door, because there is a sign that indicates the garage is "hotel parking." The front lot is free and more convenient.
2) I called before booking to ask if the hotel was walking distance to Great American Ballpark (where the Reds play). I was told it was about 1/2 mile and a 15 minute walk. Upon arriving, it was obvious that it was further. Turns out it is almost a 2 mile walk through some areas you might not want to walk through. One of our friends is expecting, and we had small children ages 2 on up. So a 45-minute walk was not an option. We had to call cabs, which the hotel called for us. The cabs were late and it took a second call to get them there at all. It was an adventure catching a return cab as nearly 30,000 people exited the stadium. If you want to walk to the ballpark, better choose some place that is truly downtown (Netherlands Plaza, etc.). Or even across the river would have been closer.

Overall, we were more impressed by this hotel than we expected to be. We would stay here again unless we wanted to be near the ballpark. Also, if you're looking for late-night fun, downtown would be better. The bar/appetizer area at the hotel closes at 11, and there's really nothing else nearby that I saw.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family