Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel was beautiful and most important clean! Check in was very smooth, When we arrived at the room we realized we didn't get the room we actually had reserved with two beds, but a King Suite. We called down to see if we could get the suite with two beds but they were booked, but the sofa was a sleeper plus we also had a nice bar area with another sink and mirror. The management did call back up about 15 minutes later to see if we wanted to move to a two bed room, but we decided to stay we actually liked the upgrade. The housekeeping staff was awesome, they greeted each time we passed by or while in the elevator, they took the time to see how our stay was, I thought that was a nice touch. It seemed the front desk staff didn't really have any suggestions concerning local attractions, they did mention the zoo which we had already done, and also informed our son that had went down to ask, that there was a great Casino near by. HA. We were looking for maybe local fireworks since it was 4th of July, but they didn't know of any in the area.
Breakfast was typical for Hampton, love the oatmeal. Overall we would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hotel staff was phenominal, hotel itself was mediocre. Lighting in room was not sufficient for working, internet service was very very slow. Beds were far away from nightstand which held the lamp and alarm clock. No overhead lighting above bed. Bathroom was clean. Within walking distance on University of Cincinnatti

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Winfield, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had to take our child to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for and evaluation.
Hampton Inn was located just a very short drive to our particular building location which was extremely nice. The staff was efficient and helpful, which made the trip a little less stressful. Thanks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Detroit, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great Location if you are in the Downtown Cincinnati Area! Plenty of restaurants and things close by to do. I was in town visiting and the environment was safe and secure. I would highly recommend this location to people. The staff was very helpful and parking was affordable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at this Hampton for one night after transferring from the downtown Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, due to the HCNP being oversold for the last night of my meeting. This is a newer Hampton, and the property is clean and tidy. Pros: The guest room is what I expected from the Hilton family of properties: comfortable bed, updated decor and furnishings, and a roomy bathroom with plenty of counter space. I did not interact much with staff, and found my check-in to be efficient. The included breakfast was very good, fresh, and included the typical choices found at properties of this sort. I appreciated the free wifi, and was glad to see that even though the hotel was busy, I did not encounter slow service or get kicked off due to a strain on bandwidth. The small business center is adequate, and allowed me to check in to my airline and print my boarding passes the evening before. Cons: there aren’t really any restaurants within walking distance of this hotel, but there are several delivery options - college food mostly.

Overall, clean, quiet and comfortable. Recommended.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Portland OR
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Second trip to the city in a week and the first time at this hotel. The facility and room were clean and within easy walking distance of the University of Cincinnati. Understandably, the Hilton downtown was much nicer, but the Hampton was fine given the price and location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Winchester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I travel often and have come to like Hampton Suites, so I read the TripAdvisor reviews prior to my trip to University area of Cincy and decided on Hampton instead of Kingsgate Marriott. Upon arrival around 2PM there were a number of people lined up at the front desk with one person behind the desk running back and forth between the desk and the "back room." He finally announced he was unable to check anyone in and the reason had something to do with the system and the manager (apparently the only one who can re-start "the system." I had to be in my room for two back-to-back conference calls starting at 3:00, so he suggested I check my bag and run across the street for a quick sandwich and the the system would be back up in "15 minutes." I came back 30 minutes later, wishing I had booked the Marriott, and there was a long line, still one person behind the desk taking forever to check in the 3 people in front of me. By the time I got my room key it was only a few min before my call so I ran upstairs rather than asking the sole assistant to go on a search mission to get my bag (and keep others waiting). I made my call, and had another one immediately following. My cell and laptop batteries were running low and my rechargers were in my bag so I called the front desk and asked them to bring it up. Nope. Too busy. Really? Well, he said, someone could leave it by the elevator if I came down and got it. Wow.
Redeeming factors were the room - it was large, very clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast had tons of healthy choices and the location of the hotel was very convenient. Had it not been for the inane front desk, this hotel would get 4 stars. The parking fee (around $10) was ridiculous for an area that was obviously not parking limited and takes another star away. I would not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Unfortunately you arrived at 2pm before normal check in time of 3pm; during a period in which the Hilton Reservation System was being repaired by Tech Support which shut our system down momentarily. This is something the hotel has no control over but we do our best to be as accommodating to the guests during this down time as we can be provided we have notice in advance. This time we did not.

As I too was working the check in area and back office area to bring our system up, I am aware that there were many guests trying to check in early that we could not accommodate. There is always 2 Front Desk Agents at the desk however this day they were allocated to assist in tech support.

It is possible that you misunderstood when you were told that there was not a team member available to bring your luggage to your rooms immediately as it is standard procedure to do this within a 10 minute time period upon request - however, again - this day was atypical in technical isues that affected many departments.

As for the parking fee of $9 - it is widely advertised that our parking facilities are owned by the City of Cincinnati and therefore the fees go direct to them. Our parking fees are comparable to the Marriott Conference Center and in fact we are cheaper than they. This again, is something the hotel or owners have control over and therefore must charge this fee to our guests.

We hope that you choose our hotel again and give our staff another chance to make a better impression.

Should you visit our hotel again, you are more than welcome to park street side where parking is free but not monitered.