“Very pleasant & welcoming”

Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
New York City, New York
“Very pleasant & welcoming”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed here back in January while in Cincinnati for business and I have no complaints. The lobby is warm and inviting (pretty fireplace and comfy sofas) and I wound up sitting there to answer emails when my meetings were finished. Before too long, someone came over and asked me if I'd like a drink or snack. I actually didn't as I needed to go up to my room at that point, but I was very impressed by the service. Later I popped down for dinner and there was a complimentary buffet and lots of socializing going on. I didn't stay very long because I knew I'd have to get up early the next morning to travel to the airport, but -- again -- it's just such a nice touch for the business traveler. The next morning at 4:15, I had trouble getting hot water, but since I had no meetings, just travel back to the east coast, I didn't worry too much. I did mention it to the fellow who checked me out, though, and he couldn't stop apologizing. By the time I got home, I'd received an email from the manager with yet another apology and a gift of Marriott points. All in all, this is why I stay at Marriott properties whenever possible. There is a consistency of service and quality which you don't always find with other hotel chains.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Casey128685
DavidMeisner-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel. I do apologize again for the hot water issue you experienced. Hot water is a basic of any hotel stay and we absolutely hold ourselves to a higher standard and I assure that the issue you experienced has been rectified. It is great to hear though that you found the other parts of your stay to be enjoyable including our service and our hotel amenities. We strive for perfection with each and every guest experience and I assure we will continue to push ourselves to provide that exceptional experience.

We hope when your travels bring you back to Cincinnati that you will once again choose to stay with us.

david.meisner@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed here for just one night on a short get-a-way to downtown Cincinnati. Hotel is VERY convenient to P&G, US Bank arena and Great American ballpark, but not as close to dining options as are other hotels. The Inn is fully equipped for an extended stay with suite, full kitchen, living area. The rooms are quite nice. Breakfast was adequate and typical for this type of hotel. Park across the street and just out the front door offers nice green space options if the weather cooperates. Staff was helpful and friendly (courteous, kind . . . for you former boy scouts). Will stay again if overnighting in downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Familyjourney5
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you found your suite to spacious, well quipped and that it met your needs. I am also very pleased that you found our team to be friendly, helpful and courteous! We take the service we provide to our guests very seriously and it is great to know we are still hitting the mark.

We hope to see you again on your next get-a-way.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Wow. Beautifully restored old building in a quieter, quaint section of Cincinnati. Walking distance to US Bank arena and baseball stadium. Across from Taft Museum. Stained glass in bar area - yes a bar! Beautiful rooms, better than average fitness room. Very friendly staff. Hands down best R.I but for a downtown hotel - I can't think of a nicer property for the price.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank moonstream11
DavidMeisner-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you for the amazing review of our hotel. The team is truly excited that you enjoyed the hotel and our service as much as you did. We assure your we won't let up and we will continue to push ourselves to provide this high level experience for each and every guest, each and every time.

Thank you!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I just got back from staying here. I don't normally stay at Residence Inns so I didn't know what to expect. The hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was larger than I needed, clean and comfortable. The staff (everyone from the front desk, to the manager, to the bartender, to the breakfast staff to the doormen) were friendly and helpful. They really seemed happy on their jobs!

I agree that the location is a little off the beaten path. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the quiet, and lack of homeless people in my face. I did walk to Fountain Square and back twice. In daylight and mild weather that was fine. The location worked for my business meetings so this wasn't a downside at all to me. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynn026
DavidMeisner-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for the rave review! Our goal is absolutely to exceed all guest expectations and I am glad we were able to accomplish that with your stay. Our staff truly enjoys what they do and it is exciting to hear that shined through.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed for two nights. Upon check-in, they upgraded our room to a two bedroom suite. Staff was warm and welcoming. The rooms are very comfortable and the complimentary breakfast is the best we've had. This hotel is a little removed from city center but close enough to be able to walk to most places.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tut-tutt
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our spacious two bedroom suites and that you found our service both warm and welcoming, two things we definitely strive for. I will also be sure and share with our breakfast team that you enjoyed their breakfast as much as you did, they absolutely take a great deal of pride in their work.

Thank you again and we hope you choose to stay with us again if your travels ever bring you back to the city.

Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I had the privilege of staying in this hotel for about two months while working a contract in Cincinnati. And, I've got to say, this is by far the best Residence I've stayed in - and I've stayed in a lot.

Here are the pros:
- Extremely friendly staff
- HUGE rooms
- Decent-sized kitchens in the rooms
- Comfortable beds
- Above average fitness center
- Quality breakfast

Here are the cons:
- Windows are older, so they're a bit drafty and let in freeway noise
- No easy options for self-parking

The cons aside, I'd definitely stay here again if I'm brought back to Cincinnati.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim M
Thank you for your great review of the hotel. A two month stay can seem like an eternity at a hotel and I am very excited to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and the rooms to be comfortable for a long term stay. I will absolutely take your comments about the windows into consideration and see what can be done to rectify that drafty issue as well as minimizing traffic noise.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the city.

boston
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The Good: Great spot if you want to walk to downtown or to Newport. A longer walk but still generally doable to the stadiums. Large rooms, clean. Good breakfast and generally very friendly/helpful staff, especially the morning staff/doormen/breakfast people. Gym was better than average for a Residence Inn but the machines are showing some age and have a funky dual set of controls for the TVs which makes it a little unwieldy. Not a deal breaker though.

The misses: .Not much in close location unless you want to eat at the bar, where service was only OK at best, prices are sort of high and selection is limited. Other dinner eateries are at least several blocks away or you need to walk across the river. Only two smaller elevators for this 10 floor building also means you may be waiting a while, particularly in the morning rush. About half the rooms overlook the very busy main highway, and while windows were pretty good, you will still hear trucks all night if you end up on this side. Computer stations are archaic and burdened with this all-in-one package of hardware and limited software that make any substantive work cumbersome. Worse, the music loudspeakers tend to blare into the little computer cubby making it difficult to hear anything through the tinny speakers, and are not adjustable so the staff could not balance the noise elsewhere.

Biggest issue though was the lack of water bottles provided in the rooms. I guess I have gotten used to city hotels recognizing that many people will not want to drink the water. Water bottles are available in the little shop, and are generally provided free to guests who ask. But be advsied, not everyone gets the message, so if you prefer not to drink the city water or in your coffee, be prepared to be accosted by the rude mall cop and night desk staff. Once I pointed out the as a platinum i was entitled to free water it was finally provided, but not without a hassle - and no amount of water would wash away the bad taste i got from that experience. Some desk staff need remedial hospitality training, one guy even shouted out my room number.

Frankly, I would consider other places. People gush about the quality of the lobby finish work, but that only does so much for me. If you are a Marriott person, look across the river at the Marriott river center, If you don't follow the brands, there is a Westin and a Hilton closer to the parks and dinner

Room Tip: Get a mid level floor away from facing the highway.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank moparmaniac
DavidMeisner-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the hotel. It is absolutely the feedback of our guests that continue to keep us moving forward and focused on improving on all fronts. There are definitely a handful of experiences you had that are disappointing to me and are unacceptable and I will personally address them. The business center computers and music volume will be addressed to ensure we provide a better experience while our guests utilize that area. The consistency of experience we provide through each staff engagement is key to the consistency of the overall guest experience. I assure you I will personally re-inspect that each team member is focused on providing the same high level service to each and every guest at every engagement.

My sincere apology that we were not able to provide a better all-around experience for you but I assure you your feedback will be used to improve our hotel, our service and our product.