“OK but not Great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cross street: Race
Southport, North Carolina
“OK but not Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I ate here recently with 5 members of my family. The restaurant was highly recommended by a "friend of a friend". Here is my overall impression of this restaurant. It is pretentious and tries hard to be a top level restaurant but doesn't quite make it. The service we received was average and the food was okay but nothing to get excited about. I ordered a caesar salad which, when it arrived, was swimming in dressing. I pointed this out to my waiter who seemed annoyed at receiving this information. He said that he would bring another with less dressing. A few minutes later someone (not our waiter) brought another salad which had slightly less dressing but was still inedible. At no time did our waiter ever return to ask about my salad, nor was he the one who cleaned my uneaten salad from our table. Next food mistake - two of us ordered meals that included fries. I am guessing that the same person who handles the salad dressing is also responsible for placing the salt on the fries. A large helping of industrial strength salt was lying on top the fries. Once these were removed from the plate the remainder were quite good. The steak that I ordered was okay but nothing to rave about. All in all a very disappointing dinner. I will not be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Cincinnati, OH
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Been here a couple of times and love it. The food is delicious and we love the fact that it's sourced locally and made mostly from organic ingredients. One of our favorite spots downtown!

Visited August 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Food, Impeccable Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Went to dinner with family yesterday and had a wonderful time. Had an amazing server. Knowledgable and friendly, but also discrete when taking away plates and didn't act like she had to be our entertainment for the evening.

Food:
I had the squash soup to begin with. It was delicious and well plated. I had never had squash soup with ginger and the ginger flavor added such character. As an entree I had the Hill Farm chicken. The chicken was very tender and delicious with a chicken jus and wild rice. As my father said "Always try the chicken in a restaurant. If they can do something interesting with a meat that can tend to be uninteresting, you know the chef is good". Well, I will 100% say the chef is good! Two members of the group had the Porkopolis, which is various cuts of pork on a bed of spinach and beans. Also very well presented. The last member of our group had the Steak Frite. Again cooked to perfection and the fries were delicious. The portions are a good size, but aren't overwhelming and the ambiance is laid back, but still elegant. Would highly reccommend this restaurant to anyone: from a family gathering to a date or dinner with friends.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Food - Great Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I were in Cincinnati recently and booked a reservation for Local 127. We made such a great decision - we really loved this restaurant!

We stated our meal with a drink at the bar. In addition to a good selection of beers on tap, they have a good menu of unique cocktails.

This may seem like an odd thing to comment on, but we really liked that the tables were well-spaced so it didn't feel like we were on top of any other couples/groups at the restaurant. Because of the spacing, we were able to talk at a normal level and really enjoy our meal.

Before our main courses came out we each got a piece of homemade corn bread (on the house). So delicious!

I had the meatloaf, which the waitress said would change my life, and she might have been right. It was easily the most delicious meat loaf I've had at a restaurant, and the crunch potatoes underneath were delicious. My husband had the "porkopolis," which he really enjoyed. It was a plate filled with different types of pork products. We split the mac and cheese side, and it was incredible. Normally I don't love homemade mac and cheese at restaurants because I find it to be too rich, but this was perfect.

We skipped dessert (because we had to go to Graeter's), but our meal at Local 127 was really perfect and I couldn't recommend it more!

Visited October 2013
IL
“Close to all the action”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Quaint little restaurant steps away from the Hilton downtown. I ordered ahead and got take out. Talk about HUGE portions..could not finish everything. The Waldorf salad is to die for! All food is organic.. Burger was cooked to perfection. and cheesecake was brilliantly arrange in a canning jar? Nevertheless I will actually sit down for the next trip .

Visited October 2013