“Camelot.... A Fantastical Masterpiece”
Review of Cincinnati Ballet

Cincinnati Ballet
Louisville, Kentucky
197 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Camelot.... A Fantastical Masterpiece”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I will admit that I may have a bit of an obsession when it comes to things of the Arthurian persuasion. I have read all of the books. I have watched the movies... more times than I dare to take note. I have even traveled across the Great Pond to visit sites in Cornwall and Glastonbury that pertain to Arthurian legends. Yes, I think this all qualifies as an obsession.

So it is with great anticipation that I climb the steps at the beautiful Aranoff Center in downtown Cincinnati. At this moment, I have no idea that I am about to be transported so deep into the realms of Camelot that I will regret not wearing flowers in my hair.

This is a very special night, as that it happens to take place during the grand celebration of the Cincinnati Ballet's 50th year. As if this accolade is not enough, this is not just the opening of King Arthur's Camelot, but it is the World Premiere.

I typically find the right words very quickly, but I actually find myself struggling to provide the description that this production deserves. However, a string of single words spring forth immediately. Brilliant. Breathtaking. Dramatic. Unforgettable.

The designs are completely inspirational. The sets by Joe Tilford, the lighting by Trad A. Burns, the costumes by Sandra Woodall, and the projections by John Boesche produce a stunning, realistic backdrop to this remarkable tale. The ease of immersion into this fantasy world is unbelievable.

The principal roles of King Arthur (Cervillo Miguel Amador), Guinivere (Janessa Touchet), Lancelot (Patric Palkens), Mordred (Rodrigo Almarales), and Merlin (Liang Fu) are beautifully cast, and the choreography by Victoria Morgan electrifies the entire stage with its passionate prose.

The scene of Guinevere and Lancelot's betrayal, culminating in burning at the stake, is completely heart-wrenching. The emotion is so high that one can actually feel it pulsating throughout the entire theater.

RUN to the box office to purchase tickets, or you may also do so online for your added convenience. You may also visit the Cincinnati Ballet to view upcoming productions.

Visited February 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Romeo and Juliet was beautiful”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was quite impressed with the Cincinnati Ballet. I am from Chicago, and while it does not quite measure up to Chicago ballet, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the choreography. Three things I was displeased with: 1) a second intermission, which made the program too long, and 2) the way-too-lengthy discourse about upcoming events by the Ballet's director. She needs a lesson in brevity.
3) there were people in the balcony adjacent to our seats that were talking quite loudly during the second act. They were drinking, and everyone could hear their conversation. I had to say something to an attendant and I shouldn't have had to do that. It was quite distracting. The theatre attendants should have taken care of it immediately.

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Nutcracker is outstanding”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We don't go to the ballet too often, but the Nutcracker that they perform is really out of this world. The decor, the costumes, everything is so well done. It had a complete overhaul 2 years ago and some people weren't pleased, but I think most people thought it was spectacular. It's great to have such wonderful dancers here in CIncinnati.

Visited March 2013
Houston
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great venue”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I have been to the Cincinnati Ballet twice. The venue is very nice and clean. I like that you can purchase souvenirs, snacks, drinks (alcoholic/non) and then take them into the theater. I absolutely love that there is a chocolatier in the lobby selling some of Cincinnati's best!

Amelia, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Cincinnati Ballet - Top Notch Productions”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

As always, the Cincinnati Ballet finds ways to please their audiences. A recent production of Romeo and Juliet was just another in a string of recent successes that shows the professional quality of the company under the direction of Victoria Morgan. As a music teacher, I have heard the music of Russian composer Prokovief before, but this ballet performance was so perfectly timed with the music that each musical accent had a movement or emotion displayed by the dancers. I was able to see and hear the emotions that the music and the dance played together so clearly. This was one of the best productions of this ballet story I have ever seen. I cannot say enough about the Cincinnati Ballet Company. I have seen their productions for over 40 years from the time I took my students until now when I usher for their productions. I have seen the company grow and develop. They are outstanding !