“Great find”

Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located on the corner of 7th & Race Street, Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Arrived at my hotel at 9pm on a Monday night and left in search of dinner. Came upon Monday night jam session and heard a good set while I had a very good cheeseburger. What a great find when traveling on business. Very small crowd. Waitress said that they are thinking of changing Mondays to Salsa night. Club is clean, staff is friendly and musicians were having a great time.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Although we did not eat at the Blue Wisp, we did go there for the music. SPecifically, we went to hear Jamey Aebersold, the well known jazz educator. We consider ourselves well versed in jazz. I was very impressed with the setup, acoustics and general venue layout. I was disappointed in how little attention/regard the patrons gave to Jamey and his trio. Too much talking and not enough listening.

1  Thank Larry C
Reviewed 11 December 2012

The food was good, and not really expensive. The music was terrific. $10 cover charge on the Saturday evening that my wife and I were there. The Jamie Ebersold Quartet was definitely worth the cover charge. But, if you want to have dinner, and entertainment "on the cheap", go from 6:00 to 8:00 on Saturday evening, have dinner, and listen to the "Young Lions" (local high-schoolers finding their jazz future). The "Young Lions" work for tips only, so take that into consideration (budget a little something for their tip). Service, unfortunately, was not great that evening. They seemed to be understaffed; I don't know if that's the norm, or not. But we plan to go back to hear the Blue Wisp's Big Band that performs every Wednesday evening. I'll let you know how the service is that night.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We ordered a cheese pasta plate (very large serving) and a blackened tuna. Main dishes and dessets were exquisite. We ate in the music area, with a live 4 members jazz band. Few people in the room (Tuesday night) excellent service, excellent music and excellent food. would definitely go back.

1  Thank MoneyPenny811
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I attended a Fred Hersch concert at Blue Wisp's old location a while back and enjoyed it a great deal. Recently, I returned to the new location on a Wednesday night to hear their house big band. It was disappointing - bleating, muddy, and stodgy, rather than fun, improvisational, and interesting. Also, why was the pianist placed with his back to the audience? This odd placement meant the piano music was not reflected toward the audience.

I preferred the cozy atmosphere of the old club. The seating arrangement at the new location is as stiff and stodgy as the band. I might return, but not to hear the house band.