“Great music, nothing else worth mentioning...”
Review of The Blue Wisp Jazz Club - CLOSED

The Blue Wisp Jazz Club
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located on the corner of 7th & Race Street, Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I went down to Blue Wisp to celebrate my brother's birthday with he and his wife. Got there about 7:00 pm on Friday night. Had to pay a cover, which surprised me as there was no mention of it when we made the reservation but not a big deal, don't mind paying a cover for good music. The thing I do mind is crappy service. While the music was great, I can't think of one other good thing to say about the place. We were approached about 20 minutes after we arrived by a waitress to whom we told that we would be ordering drinks and dinner. Another 20 minutes or more go by an no drinks. Ended up going to the bar to get our own drinks. That took about 15 minutes. Finally got them, it was $30 for a double jack, one coors lite bottle, a bourbon/coke and two diet cokes. Wow, that seemed like a lot for drinks I had to go get myself. Went back in, listened to some more music. The drinks we had ordered before finally showed up. Drank those and left. The bill at the table was only $17. That seemed more reasonable. This is what I don't get, it was a friday night. They took reservations for the show so they knew how many people would be there. There was a Reds game in town which would lead one to believe that there might be a little extra traffic. Why would you not have more than one bartender for the entire joint? We didn't bother to order dinner, it was clear that wasn't going to be a good experience. We left at 9:00 and went to the Casino for dinner. Not sure how Blue Wisp has been around for this long with this kind of service. Must be a city full of sober music lovers.

1  Thank Karen C

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Went to this Jazz Club as part of a group (about 70 in the group) so the food was in bulk and OK but nothing special......

BUT, the Trio playing for our group were great! Best music I have heard in a bar environment for a long time and I could have stayed much longer.
Not even sure of the name of the trio but they played on Tuesday August 27 so ask for who was there on that date and try them out!

1  Thank burtfp
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

During our stay, we wanted to go somewhere that was unique to that area. We actually took our kids (11 & 7). The waiter was very good having the orders adjusted for our two picky eaters. The food was very good... Basic pub food... Hamburgers and fish sandwiches. They had live music which was very exciting. It was a relaxing scene. Give it a try if you are in the area.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I stopped in looking to try somewhere new. The atmosphere was very relaxing with a jazz band playing next to the bar. We both ordered the steak medallions and they are amazing. I am not much of a steak person but they were one of the best that I have had. Service was great and prices were reasonable. We will be back!

1  Thank Lauralee1391
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The new location is much better than the old one - great space for this type of establishment.

Went with a party of 9 friends. We were seated quickly, but our waitress had a little trouble being as attentive to us as she would like. She was covering tables in two different rooms, and the other room (the music room) was crowded due to a CD release event. She was very friendly and doing her best, just had a lot of ground to cover.

Food was good and came out in a timely fashion, prices were reasonable. Bar service was quick and friendly. Place seemed clean and well-run.

Music scene in this place is great. In addition to the CD release party I mentioned, the main bar area had a one-piece act playing blues and jazz.

I think I'll have to put this place on my regular "to do" list as far as entertainment goes.