“Nice atmosphere for a wine tasting”
Review of Henke Winery

Henke Winery
Ranked #69 of 197 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: Winery produces a range of fine bottles including Sparkling Wine, Chardonnay, Seyval Riesling, Vidal Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We arrived for a wine tasting at 4:45 on a Saturday to an empty parking lot. We were seated in a cute sunny room. We were aware that wine tastings are not available from six to nine on Friday and Saturday. Wine tastings are $1 each or seven for $10 to keep the glass. We ordered the cheese and sausage plate which came with a few grapes and was the size of a salad plate. It was $10 and included a basket of a few bread slices and Ritz type crackers. There is a pretty large Henke wine list and you may choose any for the $1 tastings. We all enjoyed all the wines that we tasted. The only issue was that the server would pour one taste for us and then, because she had other duties, we had to wait a long time to order the next taste and for her to get it to us. Much better if there had just been a wine flight delivered of several tastes at once. It did become busy as it got closer to six o'clock so we decided to leave after our cheese tray and four tastings were completed. This is a perfect place for a couple to go for a mid afternoon tasting. I like the place and hope to return for the Wed. night special that was advertised for $22 that included entree, salad, breadsticks and a glass of wine for two people.

1  Thank tlynn63
in 3 reviews
"seyval"
"ohio"

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We were nicely greeted by a gentlemen when we first walked in. He found our reservations, took us to our table, lite our candle and told us to enjoy our meal. (Off to a great start!) A few moments later we we're greeted by our waitress with waters and a hello. She asked if she could bring us something to drink, I stated that it was our first time, what would she recommend. She replied 'We have our two for twenty deal tonight, you can pick from the bottom two wines on that side and the bottom one over here. I'll give you a few minutes.' and walked away. Baffled by the lack of explanation, my husband and I picked two wines and hoped they were the right ones.
She returned to take our order and my husband and I ordered our wine, luckily picking the right ones, and then my husband asked for the restroom. She looked at me in question, I explained that I would order for us, if she could just point him to the restroom. She did and I ordered. I told her I wanted to add chicken and the mushroom to my husbands salad and the up-charge was fine. She didn't seem to understand so I explained I wanted the side salad with ranch, he wanted the side salad with honey dejor and an add on of chicken and mushroom. She replied 'Wow. (wide eyes) That's a lot. But okay'' She later returned to ask my husband if he wanted the deluxe or a salad, confused and overwhelmed already by everything, he said ' the one with chicken and mushroom.'
The salads came out and mine was a normal side salad and his was larger, so I knew then she didn't understand but it wasn't worth the frustration, so we just enjoyed our salads.
We then asked to do a wine tasting, and without an explanation on how you all do your tastings, we were brought two glasses, a bowl and a container of water. Honestly, I was the only one wanting to do the wine tasting, but the lack of explanation was confusing us on how the process was going to work.
We had our first glass and enjoyed that greatly. Then our pizza arrived. Perfect and beyond delicious.
One wine glass taste later, we had an emergency call where we had to leave quickly.
She brought us the bill and I explained I wanted one souvenir glass to take with me. As she brings me over the glass, I start to pay the bill and see we we're charged $12.95 for the salad after all. She tells me my glass is $5 a glass. Just frustrated at this point we just wanted to leave, so I paid in cash, added in the $5 for the glass and told her to keep the change. As we get up to leave, I see my husband has two glasses wrapped in his hands, even though I asked specifically for one, I didn't want that to come out of her tip so I left more cash on the table and left.
I myself am a server and have been for ten years. I hold no experience to any higher standard then any other guest that walks through a restaurant door but this experience was beyond disappointing. The server ruined what could have been a great experience and a great tip on her end. We weren't needy or rude, but a little explanation and time spent with us would have been nice. There were only 2 other tables in our room and they seemed to be regulars, she was not being pulled and needed by half the room, some time and explanation would have been nice to be spent on people who could have become real regulars.

1  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Recently met friends for dinner. The Chardonnay was very good but skip the pizza special. A better choice can be found on the regular menu

1  Thank KKB224
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Henke Winery is one of the gems of Westwood. The award winning wine is excellent, the food is wonderful, the service is great, and the atmosphere is relaxing. We try to have a "date" night on a regular basis and find that most of the time we end up at Henke Winery because it is just such a special place! If you are visiting Cincinnati, a native west-sider or even from the east side, Henke Winery is an enjoyable experience.