“Wonderful”
Review of Clifton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Clifton House
Ranked #2 of 16 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were on tour playing concerts throughout the mid-west and while in Cincinnati we had the good fortune to be put up at Clifton House. What an amazing place! I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it. The rooms were beautiful, the breakfast was delicious, and Nancy is the consummate hostess. Big recommendation for this place.

Jim Gelcer
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visit Cincinnati at least once a year, and ever since we stayed at Clifton House, it has become our "home". Nancy is one of the best-innkeepers ever. She is gracious, charming, helpful, wonderfully hospitable. The location is perfect, quiet, beautiful neighborhood, yet close to everything. Nancy´s guests are always very interesting, breakfast innovative and delicious. Can´t stop praising Nancy and her BandB.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carol Stream, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I took my wife here as a getaway trip to celebrate our first child coming in the next few months. We were both very pleased with the room and the entire house itself. We stayed in the "romantic room" It was very comfortable and has its own bathroom attached. The hospitality was outstanding. Nancy, the owner of the house, was gracious and accommodating. She always had brownies, cookies, and wine available at all times. There was coffee ready outside of our room each morning as well. Breakfast each morning was outstanding. The house is in walking distance to Ludlow street which has shopping, restaurants, bars, and entertainment. It is a short drive to downtown Cincinnati. I would highly recommend the Clifton House for business or pleasure. My wife and I cannot wait to make a return trip.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Romantic Room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
midwest
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Yes, the Clifton House is a beautiful house, built around 1908. Yes, it's very convenient to the university, and centrally located in Cincinnati. Yes, it's near the Ludlow Avenue gaslight district. The breakfast chefs are from Cincinnati State's culinary institute. The owner, Nancy Niehaus, is friendly and knowledgeable. There's a billiard table, a workout room, and a library. None of this is surprising for $140-160.

We've stayed two other places in Cincinnati, The Mariemont Inn and The Netherland Hilton. And in dozens of homes, as I was born and raised there. Clifton House feels like the home stays, and is better than the Mariemont Inn or The Netherland, which are priced about the same if you get a deal.

The strength of this B&B are its common rooms and its owner. To stay with Nancy is to experience Cincinnati. She's been there six decades, and knows the history. The architect did a great job: the house accommodates lots of people, but does not feel too big when there are only four people on the premises. The living room, dining room, and library are all places that invite a long read or conversation. Previous owners painted woodwork where they should have, and left it natural where that was needed. The library holds not only a lot of books of interest to visitors, but the works of authors who've stayed there. And then the aesthetic queens of the building are the entryway, the foyer, the oak staircase, and the large window seat on the stairwell landing. Again, these are not just visually impressive, but give a homey feeling rare in mansions.

We stayed in the Garden Room. Many B&Bs have to squeeze the things people expect into a space that isn't quite up to it. The bedrooms in this home built for a banker's family easily accommodate a large bed, dresser, and sitting area. The Garden Room has an understated, informal feel. This suits its bathroom, which is vintage 1908. Every subway tile on the wall has small fissures from age. A tile near the floor is cracked. The medicine cabinet looks original, except for the hinges. The sink drain didn't work too well when we were there, so I wondered about the shower. The conventional-looking showerhead is very high up, not usually a good thing. Take a shower and it washes away all memories of lodging where you had to stand in a mist five minutes just to get your hair wet. Maybe the best inn shower ever. My wife loved the bathtub fixtures, with a high faucet, which she used as a water massage.

If you don't like tile with cracks in it, or want the totally modern bathroom experience, ask Nancy ahead. There are at least two rooms with new baths.

Many won't notice it, but the 1908 central heating system works wonderfully (which is why they won't notice). It's not an easy thing to balance a 7000 square foot structure and get even heat throughout. The radiators look original. I walked the entire house, and never felt a drafty spot, never felt hot, or dried out. There is nothing like radiant heat that is well designed. We were comfortable at night, never felt stuffy.

We've all met outstanding B&B owners. Nancy stands even a bit above them. Hard to articulate, but she's totally real, no pretenses. And maybe it's because she has done it all, doesn't have a business partner. She knows the house and the job of innkeeper like she knows the city -- through and through. Made us feel totally at home, and I basically never feel totally at home in a B&B or hotel.

Room Tip: Take the Garden Room if you want an original Cincinnati bathroom feel. The website represents the ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lakewood, OH
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I ventured to Cincinnati to visit a family member who is currently teaching at UC. She mentioned this lovely b & b that she walks by on her way to Ludlow which is the charming central street in the Gaslight District. We had a lovely 2 night stay and there is not one thing we would have changed; the Tuxedo room provided a wonderful respite for us and the house in general is repurposed meaningfully as a b & b with some lovely touches such as the piano top covered in books by author's who've stayed there, a well stocked beverage pantry downstairs and kitchen island laden with scones, brownies, and fresh fruit. The breakfasts were out of this world delicious. Nancy is a wealth of knowledge with respect to the house, the Gaslight District, and Cincinnati in general. We highly recommend the Clifton House!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HeidiLakewood_OH
subway_kayak
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I decided to treat myself to a 1st-time visit to Cincy after a week of business in Indy. I was debating whether to stay in the Gaslight District or downtown, and having chose the former, I had a really fantastic stay. First, the neighborhood is suburban and so has ample street parking and a couple minutes' walk to Ludlow St. which has a fun funky youthful vibe with eateries, a cool historic movie theatre & even a CVS (for convenience!) As for The Clifton House, I felt as though I was stepping back in time into a grandiose turn-of-the-century home (although I'm not sure of its history!) The interior is beautiful, with solid-wood furnishings, beautiful marble and classic tub in the bathroom and overall impeccably clean. The proprietor was very hospitable, leading me right to a fresh platter of brownies and some very good red wine upon my arrival. Breakfast was delicious and gourmet. Highly recommended!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank subway_kayak
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We just stayed here last weekend. The house is beautiful, and Nancy was very welcoming, pleasant and nice. I will say after staying at a few bed and breakfasts I was a little disappointed with a few things. The first was the cleanliness of our room. It was extremely dusty and our entire family kept sneezing all night. My son woke up with a nose bleed, I believe from the excess sneezing. My son's toy car went under the bed, and when he reached under to get it, he pulled out a dirty sock and his arm was covered in dust.. Ewwww!!! There was also a used towel hanging on the back of our door... You could tell by looking at it it was clearly dirty. The second floor fridge was not stocked as noted in description. There was no bottled water offered any where that I saw. Again.. Just from my previous stays at other bed and breakfast that is just the norm, everyone offered bottled water. This is clearly my fault for not asking in advance. I guess we have just been spoiled, as in the past inn keepers have just gone above and beyond and just take care of us. I should have asked /requested a different breakfast for our kids. We had been given permission to bring them, so I naturally thought the breakfast may have a child friendly options. While I in no way expect a whole menu of kid food, french toast, pancakes, crepes or fresh fruit would have been appreciated. The kids very politely excused themselves from the table. We left shortly after as the kids were hungry and we needed to get them breakfast elsewhere. Again let me say the inn keeper was nice and the house is beautiful. We appreciate her allowing us to bring our kids. I definitely think this inn has a few opportunities for improvement.. but was very nicely decorated and our suite was very spacious. I guess I feel strongly that at $187.00 per night, I expect a clean room and maybe some bottled water.

• Stayed September 2013