“Nice Location, Not So Nice Price”
Review of Clifton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cincinnati
Clifton House
Ranked #2 of 16 Cincinnati B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We spent four nights at the Clifton House, a charming old Victorian home in a lovely, leafy residential area. The location was wonderful--within easy walking distance to the funky Ludlow commercial district and a short drive into downtown. Our host, owner Nancy Niehaus, was extremely friendly and helpful, offering advice on what to see and how to get there. Our room with adjoining bath was comfortable and quiet. We had hesitated in choosing this B&B due to the price (we paid $160 per night), but decided to splurge based on the desirable location and in the hope of finding accommodations a cut above the norm. Unfortunately, the Clifton House did not measure up to our expectations. Our room, although large, was not well equipped. We did have a nice four-poster bed, but there was no closet or wardrobe--only a hat rack for hanging up our clothes. Most unforgivable was the pathetic 15-inch tube TV, which was barely watchable from the bed. At this price there is no excuse for failing to provide a more suitable TV. In addition, only basic cable stations were available, although we did have free internet access in our room, both wireless and via ethernet cable. The breakfast was adequate, although we were not offered any cereal, fresh fruit, bread, pastries, or any other additions to the set menu, which typically consisted of some sort of fruit cocktail and a breakfast main course which changed daily. We were told that my wife's wish for a vegetarian meal would be accommodated, but that accommodation turned out to be the removal of any meat with no substitution. On the plus side, Nancy did offer brownies and wine in the evening, which was a nice treat. All in all, we enjoyed our stay but would not return unless either the prices were drastically reduced or the level of accommodation were substantially raised.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chiguy50

Reviewed 26 December 2008

My husband and I could not have been more satisfied with our stay at this phenomenal bed and breakfast. We chose the Clifton House for our anniversary getaway. We love bed and breakfasts, and had never been to Cincinatti togather, so based on the reviews here on tripadvisor, we decided to give it a try. From the moment we first spoke with Nancy, the host, we felt at ease. We had to call on the way up and let her know we would be later than we thought. She was so understanding and hospitable, giving us instructions on where to find everything in the event she stepped out for a moment, and telling us to drive safely, and not to worry! If some B&B owners knew the difference kindness and a friendly voice makes! We have called to inquire about other B&B's before, and didn't book, just because of the indifferent and sometimes rude attitude we found on the other end of the line. We take that as a bad omen for the property. Nancy couldn't have been sweeter, more helpful, or more accomodating! When we arrived, it was dark, but we could tell that the B&B was situated in the middle of a neighborhood of old, historic homes. Right up our alley! We love old homes! The neighborhood of Clifton is called the gaslight district, and the B&B is within walking distance of a lot of cute little shops and restaurants. Nancy had stepped out for a moment, so we didn't see her when we arrived, but everything was just where she said it would be. We found our room, and the wine and brownies Nancy had said would be waiting! We stayed in the New Orleans room. It was so charming and CLEAN!!!!!!! That is one of the big three for us! A B&B has to have three things:
1. A CLEAN room
2. Friendly staff
3. A great breakfast!
Well two of the three were already fullfilled, so we were excited! The bed was sooooooooooo comfortable! We decided to watch a little television as we changed clothes for dinner. We made our way downstairs, and as we were leaving, Nancy arrived. She recommended a couple of places for dinner. One of those was a pizza place that she said was popular in the Cincinatti area. That sounded great to us! AND IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best I have had! They had a great salad too! It was a special seasonal salad, called the Harvest salad. Ask Nancy about this place, as right now the name is escaping me. The next morning, we had breakfast with the other guests. It was incredible! I was a bit hesitant to eat with people I didn't know, but we found it surprisingly delightful! There was a couple there from England, and one from California, and a gentleman from Arizona. We really enjoyed getting to know them! I am always cautious of reviews that are completely glowing about a property, so if I have to mention one negative thing, to make this review credible, I would say that although the breakfast was outstanding, I wish they had an alternative (and maybe they did, I was too shy to ask) to the eggs. I have a food allergy to them, and can't eat them without alot of stomach pain. I'm sure with how helpful and aiming to please Nancy was, that she would have provided something if I had asked, I just didn't want anyone to go to any trouble for me We had planned to go to Kings Island, but fell so in love with the gaslight district that we decided to sightsee instead. We drove around admiring the old homes which were huge and incredible to take in! We also ate at Ohio's famous "Skyline Chili". It was great! I recommend you have it over spaghetti! We also went downtown and shopped! It was sooooooo cool, and we enjoyed it so much! Overall our stay was fantastic and we can't wait to go back! You can't go wrong with the Clifton House, so book without fear!!! You will be glad you did!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gracielove
Reviewed 7 December 2008

This is the third year I've stayed at The Clifton House in Cincinnati, Ohio when visiting my extended family nearby. This bed and breakfast is situated in a quiet neighborhood, with a variety of restaurants, stores, a park and a movie theater within walking distance. The Clifton House is a beautifully renovated house filled with antiques. The elegant staircase leads to comfortable, well-appointed rooms. There is also a separate carriage house. Delicious breakfasts are prepared by a local chef and served in the dining room. There are plenty of cozy spots to settle in with a book during free moments. Coffee, tea, cold drinks, wine and freshly baked goodies are available during the day. Each time I go, I feel like I'm coming home for a visit. There's always a warm welcome from Nancy, the owner. We end up sitting around the large butcher block table in the kitchen, talking and sipping wine with other guests or neighbors that have stopped by. It's truly a lovely place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2008

Nancy the owner welcomed us and you could see the joy that she takes in running her B&B and making it the best place and experience it can be for you. The house is very large, in an elevated part of the city, and has an interesting history. She gave us a wonderful tour, showing us nooks and crannies, and also showiing us the guest cottage outside for those who want a little more privacy. The house was very clean, and our room was nicely appointed with a great tub/shower and windows with good views. We had a beautiful poster bed in an oversize room with high ceilings on the second floor - check out the wooden staircase - wonderful detail everywhere. Player piano downstairs - owner demonstrated how it works for us. Kitchen was warm and inviting for casual chit chat with other guests and the owner. Good views from the porch that wraps around one corner of the house. The area is 'Clifton' that has several stores and restaurants - these were within a short walking distance (two or three blocks), and has a nearby park where people walk their dogs. Breakfast was great, loved the coffee. Nancy made brownies and other things that are always available for guests. You can snack all day long on the things that she loves to make. complimentary wine is always available - that's platinum hospitality! The guest book showed clear evidence of guests who return again and again, especially mid-week business traveleres, and we will be back as well. Free wireless internet a big plus too.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 16 August 2008

All I can say is "Wow"!!!

If you are looking for an out of this world relaxing experience, the “Clifton House Bed & Breakfast” is most definately, positively, absolutely, without a doubt the place to go. When visiting Cincinnati please look no further! If you want to experience the most relaxing, wonderful stay you’ll ever have, then book at The Clifton house B&B Cincinnati Ohio. You will not be disappointed.
It’s almost impossible to put into words what it feels like to stay at the Clifton house Bed & Breakfast. From the ambiance, to the exquisite breakfast cuisine (kudos to fill in chef Terry!), to the property itself, which is completely charming, to the overall cleanliness, not to mention the incredible warmth & generosity, of the owner’s Nancy & Gus, to the attention to the very smallest of details......It’s all perfect. absolutely perfect.

We had the pleasure of staying for 4 days in the tuxedo room which was spacious, beautiful & very comfortable…..Did I mention the great oversized bath tub? Again so much to tell you so little space.....
You can tell every little detail was well thought out when Nancy & Gus opened the door to this wonderful place. I will most definitely return, as soon as possible…..In fact I did ask them upon leaving if they’d consider adopting me so I live there forever…I’m presently awaiting their answer :-)

Seriously you’ll be blessed beyond belief!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2008

We are not from the local area and selected the property based on reviews (thanks Trip Advisor!). What a very pleasant surprise! The Clifton House was a great choice. We stayed in the cottage and were not disappointed, all of the previous reviews being spot on. The cottage is highly recommended if you are looking for a well-appointed space with lots of room and privacy. It is stocked with water and soft drinks.

In the main house, there is a supply of wine and brownies Breakfast was certainly above a lot of the fare served in B&B’s and some may feel it approached a gourmet offering. If you ask the staff, they will serve you breakfast in the cottage should you prefer.

Clifton House is located near a small commercial center with a grocery store, drug store, movie theater, ice cream store, bakeries, restaurants, churches etc. Getting there is a short walk on mostly level ground with sidewalks and clearly marked crossings. We felt safe walking around the neighborhood.

Location is very convenient with close proximity to the University of Cincinnati and other colleges as well as a number of local hospitals.

The staff was very attentive without being intrusive; each making sure all of our needs were attended to during our stay. Parking was provided directly in front of the cottage.

Please note that the cottage is two floors; the living room with fireplace and bath with Jacuzzi on the lower level and the bedroom on the second connected by a full flight of stairs. This is not a hardship; except of course if stairs are a problem

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2007

The Clifton House was WONDERFUL! The people were very accomodating and always went the extra step to give us a truly amazing experience. We stayed in the 'cottage' and it was like stepping into a beautiful little seaside cottage in a Bronte novel...that is, a British cottage with a jacuzzi tub, two floors, an easy to use fireplace, etc.... The breakfasts were delicious, the neighborhood is historic. I stayed with my 60 year old mother and she loved it, in fact she thought she'd stepped into a Martha Stewart Living Magazine piece.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business