“The Best In Cincinnati”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Precinct

The Precinct
Reserve with OpenTable
The Precinct is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,953 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Price range: US$0 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Columbia Parkway
Transit: There is a public transit stop across the street from the front entrance.
Description: For Jeff Ruby, this is the steakhouse that started it all. In 1981, The Precinct was born in the former Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. This turn-of-the-century, Romanesque-style structure would hold what is now the longest, continuously running white tablecloth restaurant in the city. Recently named one of America's Top 10 Steakhouses by USA Today and Gayot.com, The Precinct is frequently recognized as having Cincinnati’s best steaks, seafood and service. This consistent high level of quality and overall guest experience over 3 decades has endeared Precinct to celebrities, businesspeople, families and loyal diners alike.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best In Cincinnati”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is by far the best steakhouse in Cincinnati. The food was fantastic and the service was beyong belief. We never wanted for a thing all evening. It is a pricey place to eat, but worth every penny. I would recommend it to anyone celebrating an occasion or just wanting a special night out.

• Visited June 2014

“Always a favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I am a steak eater, period. I have had the pleasure of eating in very good steak houses all over the country. The Precinct is always in my top 3. The quality and service is always consistent. The steak, and it does not matter what you choose, is always fabulous!

• Visited April 2014
Charlottesville, VA, United States
“Family Favorite Steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is our family's all time favorite steakhouse. A very special night out. Service is top notch. Food is superb. Atmosphere is fun. Building is historic.

• Visited December 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Time after time, the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great steaks, great Bananas Foster, great service, fair prices. This is our go-to place for special occasions (and not so special occasions).

• Visited May 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Sole Review of BAR at the Precinct”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Jeff Ruby’s Precinct was originally the Cincinnati Police Patrol House Number 6. Jeff Ruby opened the Precinct in 1981, and to this day, it is the longest-running white-tablecloth restaurant in the city.

But in the bar - Officially called, “BAR at the Precinct” - the atmosphere is more casual and relaxed. So we decided to eat in the bar.

Reservations for the Precinct are recommended, but if you want to dress casual and sit in a more relaxed atmosphere, you won’t have to make a reservation if you choose BAR at the Precinct.

Jeff Ruby’s Precinct is located in the Columbia-Tusculum area of Cincy, on the corner of Delta Avenue and Columbia Parkway. If you’re coming from the West side, take a right on Delta, then take a right on Walworth Avenue. You can either park on Walworth, or there are lots across the street. My recommendation is if it’s your first time, take a right on Walworth, then pull into the back of the Precinct for the valet parking. If you can afford to eat here, you can afford to pay $5 to valet park!

When you enter Jeff Ruby’s Precinct, you are standing in this beautiful anteroom, and greeted by the hostess, who is drop-dead gorgeous and impeccably professional. By the way, the entire staff is the same…all are beautiful, and all are extremely cordial and professional.
It’s easy to find the bar, with the hostess pointing you in the direction, and the beautiful signs to lead the way.

Please walk slowly to the bar; there is so much imagery to see. I wish now that I would have brought my big camera, but I didn’t want to be “that person”, taking pictures inside of a restaurant. Next time I will throw my cares out the window!

The BAR at the Precinct is gorgeous. Dark wood, dimly lit, but light enough to see everything. The ambiance is perfect. They have the door open to the outside and the Spring breeze made for a perfect atmosphere.

And something I would have never guessed…the BAR is brand new! They did a fantastic job adding it to the building, which is over 113 years old.

Recommendation: Get to the bar anytime between 4:30pm and 5:45pm. We were literally the only people in the whole bar. By 6pm, there were 4-5 people at the bar, and folks at a booth. By the way, the booths sit 6 people, so the 2 of us had plenty of room!

The reason we chose the BAR at the Precinct, and the reason we chose 4:30 was to take advantage of Happy Hour. That way, we could get a good taste of the Precinct food without the high cost.

Complimentary bread and butter was delivered. You had 2 varieties of each; Sourdough and I believe the other was a Rye. One butter was plain, unsalted, and the other butter was a mushroom butter, which I thought I would like, but I did not like it.

My friend Jane took advantage of the Happy Hour drink prices and got a good-sized Fat Tire for $3.00. I opted for water since I’m in the middle of a daily goal of 72 ounces of the H2O.
I looked at the bar menu ahead of time and had my meal picked out, until the server told us that we were permitted to order anything off of the full menu. So I opted for 2 side dishes that were specialties of the restaurant: Jeff Ruby’s Baked Macaroni & Cheese and Truffle Creamed Corn.

Both of these items are considered “Sides to Share”, so there is enough for you and your friend (or 2 friends - I had a lot left over).

Let’s start with the Jeff Ruby’s Baked Macaroni & Cheese. Priced at $9.75, this big dish of macaroni is made with 6 imported cheeses. Since it’s baked, it has a wonderful crusty topping. Jane and I each had a few servings and I was able to take one serving home with me. My verdict: It was good, but it wasn’t fantastic. The (Mac & Cheese)2 - get it without the chicken - at the Yard House is still #1 in my book. The #2 spot is the Grippo’s Crusted Mac & Cheese at the Incline Public House. This only takes the #3 spot because the verdict is still out about the Angry Mac & Cheese (without the shrimp) at Moerlein Lager House.

The Truffled Cream Corn looked soooo good, with it’s mushroom garnish. And it WAS good. But it wasn’t great. My aunt Patty’s creamed corn is still in the #1 spot, followed by this creamed corn, only because I haven’t tried any other creamed corn elsewhere.

Jane ordered off the Happy Hour menu, grabbing the Steak Freddie Salad for $16.75.

I asked her if she liked it. “I really, really like it”, she replied. Then she offered me 2 slices of her steak, which I totally took, so that I could taste a Jeff Ruby steak.

Can I just say RIGHT NOW….those 2 small slices of steak may have been the best tasting steak I’ve ever had. Now I know why his steaks on the menu cost $50-80!

We topped off the meal with Strawberry Cheesecake for $10, but I immediately dug into it, so no picture is available. But again, it was just okay. I’ve had better cheesecake elsewhere. $10 is a little steep, but it filled Jane and me to the brim, and we couldn’t eat the last quarter of it.

Our total bill was $64, and that included tip. I don’t think you can get much cheaper at Jeff Ruby’s Precinct, than at the BAR at the Precinct, during Happy Hour.

Tip: Save something to take home because you get an actual cloth bag!

I will use this bag from now on, so I can finally fit in at my “hotty-totty” Kroger!

Verdict: If you are born and bred in the 513, you HAVE to go here at least once. Pay the $5 for valet, then take advantage of the casual atmosphere and Happy Hour prices at the BAR. Get the Steak Freddie Salad so that you can taste the awesomeness of a Jeff Ruby steak. Spend your time taking in all of the beauty of this building, while you receive impeccable service from the beautiful staff.

• Visited April 2014