“Beautiful spot, good service but disappointing food.”
Review of Palace Restaurant

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Cross street: 6th and Vine Street
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Beautiful spot, good service but disappointing food.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had the Mother's Day brunch there yesterday and, for the price charged, we were shocked at how little was available at the buffet. We were expecting a cornucopia of gourmet food and were offered normal brunch food and food that was not available. They ran out of lobster and whipped cream. The tenderloin was cold. The crepe station had only one burner running so there was a line. The service was courteous and professional but they have to step up their game by quite a lot if they wish to be competitive for Sunday brunch at the price they are charging. Even mimosas were 'extra.' We will not be back.

• Visited May 2014

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Friendly service, but not much more...”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Ate here as part of a group event (about 20 people). The friendly bartender and servers, along with the talented musicians, were the highlight of our visit. The restaurant is accommodating to groups such as ours: space for private reception and dining. While the exterior of the Cincinnatian Hotel is impressive, the inside appears to have been completely gutted and replaced with geometric shapes covered with pastel veneer more appropriate to a 1980s office building than a fine hotel and restaurant. While the staff was friendly, the service itself was horrible - it took about two hours for our meal to arrive. Thankfully the wine and cocktails kept flowing, but at some point the conversation is done and everyone just wants food. Many ordered the skirt steak (which was quite good), but it came with a side of french fries (really?). The word all around our group was that the desserts were lacking - they were aesthetically unpleasing (I had what appeared to be crumbs of sponge cake covered in vinegar - I didn't finish it) and either too rich or too bitter. I felt particularly sorry for the anniversary party happening in the room next to ours - their service was as delinquent as ours. How unfortunate for such a special event to be spoiled. All this wouldn't be so bad except that the Cincinnati natives in our group described this as perhaps the finest (price and ratings-wise) restaurant in the city. Obviously something went horribly wrong in the kitchen to deliver entrees with sides of french fries hours late, but one would not expect such major fails by a restaurant of this level. To their credit, it's my understanding they did discount the bill for our group organizer. I will look elsewhere for fine dining next time I visit the Queen City.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Porchsitter
Nashville, Tennessee
“Exquisite meal crafted for our table!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I chose to celebrate my birthday at this restaurant as I had some familiarity with the head chef, Joe West. (My family and I had traveled to Kansas City, specifically to dine at Blue Stem from where he hails)

We opted for the 10 course experience and chose to only experience fish/seafood. How glad we were that we did! There weren't many diners on this Friday evening and it was almost like a private seating. From the amuse bouche to the outstanding finishing dessert course, every single item was beautifully presented, seasoned perfectly and very flavorful and inventive.

If you love food and creativity, I highly recommend trying this restaurant. Yeah, I know Over The Rhine is the new hotbed of restaurants and bars, so eat here, then go drink there!

• Visited March 2014
Leesburg, Ohio
“Yuck!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stay at the beautiful hotel (The Cincinnatian) but don't eat at the restaurant. The night my wife and I dined the restaurant had a special anniversary menu that was quite limited in choice. The portions were very small and the food tasted bad. The service was friendly but slow. You'll enjoy Morton's or Jeff Ruby's much more especially if you like steak.

Visited September 2013
Rochester, New York
“Breakfast was tasty”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Great menu selection and food was well prepared and served promptly and all the portions were hot when served.

Visited September 2013