“For the young and young at heart”
Review of Rhinegeist Brewery

Rhinegeist Brewery
Ranked #25 of 202 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We believe in the power of beer to bring great people together, foment fantastic ideas, and build a community that values craft beer and one another. Rhinegeist means "Ghost of the Rhine," and refers to our place here in the historic Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati. Within these unique and historic walls, we brew 20bbl batches of beer that sing with flavor.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went with another couple. Parking across street and not far from bus line. Stairs to upper level where you find several games to play while enjoying brews. There is a short, free tour (tips appreciated). Brewery is still expanding and I would suggest very casual clothing and comfortable foot ware. Food limited. Flights available on the main floor only. Someone had a private event. More steps to the roof (ids checked before ascending). Beers but No flight available on the roof. City view and lots of seats. Not the cleanest place I’ve toured and very industrial. Small gift shop with brewery memorabilia. Very young crowd.

1  Thank reddskyy
"open room"
"bottling plant"
"fresh beer"
in 3 reviews
"hanging out with friends"
"industrial building"
"pretzels"
in 13 reviews
"cool space"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Such a neat place that I could spend hours at! We arrived later in the evening, and it was packed. I didn’t get to explore as much as I wanted, so I will be returning! Many activities for anyone wanting to have a good time!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Rhinegeist is interesting to say the least. First off I will admit the beer is really good usually and I am a fan. I am from Harrisburg Pennsylvania and not many from my area ever heard of Rhinegeist. I would say it is one of the better mid to larger producers in the Cincinnati area based on quality and selection plus it has an awesome logo.

The brewery is in what appears to be a semi-seedy area but aren't many breweries. We were leery about parking at night there but we felt better when we saw the entire street and building were filled with what appeared to be preppier people, the semi-rich and two wedding parties! Apparently no one was afraid of a carjacking. And maybe the area was not as bad as I thought getting there (I was not driving but just viewing). The whole vibe felt like some leftover college party for those who never got over college ending. Everyone was drunk including me (we had been drinking prior). Parking was limited and on the street but we found a spot a block away. The area looked like a deserted movie set with vacant store fronts, a mix of eclectic apartments, some new-wave stores, like it was a work in progress toward modernization and a new art scene. Walking into the brewery we ascended maybe two flights of steps as many young sexy people were descending in high spirits (we were getting there fairly late). Our company described the entrance as something from a horror movie where you think it is a fun game but you are being lead to your demise. I personally enjoyed the eclectic nature, as I am an amateur artist myself. All of the walls were filled with graffiti and it had a kind of dirty-intellect to it. Though later I thought it was odd the owners let their place be destroyed like this. Note to self: carry hand sanitizer.

At the top of the stairs, we entered a huge cavernous area that reminded me of a futuristic scene from "Blade Runner" or a Phillip K. Dick short story. It was like 10 wedding parties happening at once in an underground Berlin nightclub that doubled as a college party hall. Turns out there were two wedding parties there. It is just one big high-ceiling open room full of echoes and chaos and just enough light to find your way. We hit the bathrooms first and they are certainly not going to win any awards. The bar area was hopping as expected and the menu is a huge blackboard. We got waited on in seconds. These are sparse digs and not fancy in any way. In the center of the room were "tuns" or "fermenters" that were still in use and at the far end resided the newer brewing equipment in an expanded area. You can sit there on picnic tables and overlook it. That was the more quiet area. There are two bars there I think (I and time were a little hazy) but one was not serving the same stuff as the other. The center of attraction is the massive game area where Corn Hole was the main game. I think they had other stuff like darts and or pool but we only played Corn Hole. There were maybe six courts. I recall thinking they had the boards way too far apart but I am not sure of the regulation distance since that game is new to Central-Pennsylvania. All I know is that the females in our group had a hard time making the lengthy throws. Plus it was a little dark to judge distance easily. It was all for fun anyway. At the end of the room was a dinosaur display and dinosaur bone area. Like a mini-museum of I am not sure real or fake dinosaur bones and signs describing it all. Did I dream this? What was going on here?

I have been to many breweries in my time. Hell, I saw the start of the entire craft brewing era. Rhinegeist is certainly a unique brewery to visit and I am glad I did. I highly recommend at least one visit and also drinking their beer even if you don't visit as it is well rated and deservedly so.

1  Thank markjordan999
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We attended a specialty VIP tour of Rhinegeist. The tour was fascinating with several new beers to sample as we learned about the history of brewing beer and how Rhinegeist is meticulous in its methods. Our tour guide John was knowledgeable and personable, but the highlight of our tour was meeting Luke, the barrel master. He spent much of his own time answering our questions and telling us the history of the brewery. We can't wait to go back!