Garfield Suites Hotel
  • Fitness centre
  • Breakfast included
Cincinnatian Hotel(Cincinnati)
  • Room Service
All reviewsliving roomfull kitchendowntown cincinnatibalconystove
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife, a friend, and I stayed at the Garfield for a night after a wedding. I will openly admit that it was a great place to stay when the privacy of two bedrooms is needed, and you'd like to split the cost with someone else. The floor plan of our two bedroom suite was relatively open. It had a spacious living/dining area, a functional kitchen complete with utensils and cookware, two small bedrooms that served their purpose, and a full bath. That was all wonderful.
On the other hand, EVERYTHING from the wallpaper and the carpet to the appliances and the furniture was very dated. 1990s decor doesn't seem that old at first, until you realize that it's approximately 20 years old. So, when I mention that the whole suite seemed a little worn and dusty, you'll understand.
One very strange thing to me - perhaps this is my anal art school background - was how low the "artwork" was hung. Artwork should be hung at approximate eye level. That being said, there was a reproduction hung above the desk at what would be eye level if one was sitting down. Weird. I can almost forgive that one. However, the reproduction behind the couch was also hung to be viewed while seated. But who sits backward on a couch? I dare you to not find it strange. But I digress.
The front desk staff was friendly enough, but it should be noted that our room wasn't ready by check in. We waited in the lobby (which was sharp and contemporary at first glance, but dirty after inspection...furniture in particular) while guest after guest received their room keys.
Another oddity was the maze from the parking garage to the hotel lobby. I felt like some treasure hunter navigating some Cincinnati catacomb. Bring a compass because your GPS may not work down there.
Overall, the Garfield served it's purpose comfortably enough for the price and the location (two blocks from fountain square). Although I'd still like to see some updates, I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had my Wedding next door at the Cincinnati Club and I got bitten all over my body by bed bugs. My wedding was ruined. The place is a dump. We waited 2 hours for our room to open up when we arrived and check in time was at 3 pm. I was late to my rehearsal dinner. Our room smelled like cigarettes. I will never go back. Run for your life...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank katiegirl18
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were very impressed by the size of the room and the location. I found Cincinnati to be a great city for getting around by walking. We happened to be there while Oktoberfest was on and also a Bengals v Packers game, so the place was definitely in party mode. The (in house) restaurant was excellent, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful...especially the manager who gave us excellent advise about the public transport...which we used to visit the zoo, what a great experience.... thank you.

Room Tip: I cant complain about any aspect of the hotel
1  Thank michael-paulsen
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3rd anniversary and also to see the Reds/Pirates game. The hotel was in a awesome location to walk to about everything.

When we arrived we were greated by a sort of friendly desk staff and clean lobby. After finally finding a parking space in a connecting pay garage we went up to our 1 bedroom suite on the 15th floor. We walked in and the room didnt seem to bad. It was fairly clean, but had a rundown appearance. There were water stains on the ceiling that might indicated it was leaking, the walls was in need of painting and the furniture was scratched up and in need of replacing. The tub in the bathroom was stained up by something unknown. The kitchen was nice and had full size applainces with included pots and pans, plates and glasses. The view wasnt too bad from the 15th floor if you could have seen through the clouded up windows. In the living room I was afraid to move the curtains since the rod was coming away from the wall. A accident ready to happen.

After settling in we decided to try the free WIFI internet and get directions to the resturant we wanted to eat at. After putting in the password we were unable to connect. We called down to the desk to make sure the password was correct and then tried again. After several attempts we contacted the desk once again and the guy at the desk gave us a number to call the provider to have it fixed. I think that was a unacceptable answer. I was not going to sit on the phone trying to get their product fixed. Oh well we didnt want to use the internet after all.

The mattress in the room was very uncomfortable and evry once in awhile when lying on it you could feel the springs.

Overall the hotel wasnt too bad, but wasnt worth the money paid. I could have stayed somewhere else for the same price and would have been more comfortable. The staff was for the most part very friendly especially the night crew. I guess the best partof staying at this hotel was the location and most everything within walking distance.

I am not too sure if I would reccommend this hotel to my family or friends untill the due some remodeling.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We celebrated our anniversary again this year by going downtown to catch the Reds/Cubs game and did a little gambling at the Horseshoe Casino. We had a room reserved at the Garfield Suites, which is in walklng distance to just about everything downtown. It was a day game, so we had to check our bags at the front desk (10:00 am). When I told the friendly people at the front desk that we had stayed last year with them for our anniversary and loved the place, they immediately checked to see if they had any rooms that were clean. They had sold out the night before. They upgraded us to a 2-bedroom suite for the same price (very reasonable) we were going to pay for a 1-bedroom suite. How nice! My husband was driving around trying to park, but their garage was full. When I asked the people at the front desk where we could park as their lot was full, they had my husband park in front and took our keys. The manager sent us on our merry way and parked our car in their garage as soon as someone left. Very considerate! Of course, they offered to take us to the game, but we enjoy walking.