“Spacious but outdated.”

Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Lexington, Kentucky
“Spacious but outdated.”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The Garfield has spacious rooms and is very conveniently located in downtown Cincinnati. However, when I walked into my room, I stepped back to 1970. The room was clean, but outdated. One of my co-workers wasn't as fortunate and had to ask for a new room due to cleaning issues. Her second room was cleaner, but was so dirty that she slept in her shoes. Also, the roof was leaking in the lobby and I was dripped on while standing at the Front Desk. I informed the desk clerk of the leak and the puddle in the floor and she said, "Okay". I had to go back to the desk 15 mins later, the puddle was larger and I was dripped on again. Despite its proximity to my company's office, I will never stay at the Garfield again.

• Stayed December 2013
GarfieldSuites, Director of Sales at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at the Garfield Suites Hotel. We are happy that you found your suite to be clean. We also extremely grateful for your taking the time to offer us your constructive feedback. It is feedback such as this that provides us the opportunity to improve the hotel for all of our guests. We are aware of the water leak in the lobby and this is being addressed and fixed. We take great pride in our hotel's cleanliness and condition but in rare instances we fail to meet expectations. We are also aware that the hotel's furnishing are indeed due for an update.

The good news: The hotel is now under new management and ownership and plans are underway for a complete renovation of the hotel from top to bottom! Very soon, we will not only offer the largest suites you'll find anywhere in the world, but we will also offer the newest renovated suites in Cincinnati! Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime with additional input, questions or special requests.

Mick Douthat - Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend for the first time visiting Cincinnati. The rooms were large and clean. The appliances were a little out if date, but the refrigerator and microwave worked fine. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. Close to restaurants and shopping. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are very happy that you enjoyed the cleanliness and spaciousness of our suites. We offer the largest hotels suites that you'll find anywhere in the world!

We are also aware that the furnishings are ready to be updated. Good news! We are now under new management / ownership and renovations are planned to start very soon!

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback . Please feel free to contact me anytime with questions or special requests for your next visit.

Mick Douthat - Director of Sales
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The lobby is decent, but I was shocked when I got into my room and it looked like a 1970s apartment. It was roomy, but the furniture was so old, I didn't want to sit in it. There was also a metal plate over a big hole in the road outside the hotel. As cars and trucks ran over it (all night), it sounded like someone was pounding on my door. Really hated it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer us your feedback. We are happy that you liked the lobby area and sincerely apologize that the furnishings did not meet your expectations. I am pleased to report that the road construction and associated noise that you experienced is now complete and the street has been completely resurfaced. We are in the business of providing a good night's sleep, and unfortunately, in rare occurances like these we fall short of expectations. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

The good news is that the hotel is now under new management and ownership and plans are underway to renovate the entire hotel! Very soon, we will offer not only the largest suites that you'll find anywhere in the world, along with a great restaurant, free wi-fi and attached parking but also newly renovated accommodations in the heart of Cincinnati's business and entertainment district.

Please call me anytime with additional feedback, suggestions or special requests.

Mick Douthat - Director of Sales and Marketing
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 November 2013

To begin I really don't want to sound like the property was entirely bad. The only reason we went up here and stayed was because we entered in a contest and won a free stay. The free stay was for only one night. I do want to start with the best part of this stay and, that is saying a big thank you to Mick Douthat the director of sales and marketing for graciously at no charge upgrading us to a 3 bedroom governor suite. Our contest we entered was only for a two bedroom suite but, mr. Douthat graciously upgraded us to a bigger suite. It wasn't a real issue and, I never brought it to their attention but, I was told in email that I we were in suite 901 but, we checked in and are in 401. I didn't really feel that was a reason to bring to their attention because 401 and 901 are identical to my knowledge and we got the room type that we were promised by Mr. Douthat. There was a issue with the room and yes it was our fault for not bringing it to the staffs attention which is what I am doing now. The heater unit does not appear to work in the living room. Being that we were only there for one night and checked in later in the evening we didn't really care because the three heater units in the bedrooms all worked well and kept us warm. We actually meant to say something to front desk upon checkout this morning but, rushed out. That would be my main issue with the room. I had one other minor issue and thats the beds weren't as comfortable as I hoped but, you could sleep on them. I am going to now talk about some pros of this place. The do have the cafe martin in the lobby it is pricy in my opinion but, the food is awesome in there. I loved their food. It cost us a family of five 58.00 and some change to eat dinner which this day in time especially in downtown cincinnatti isn't bad. Another plus to this hotel was the balcony not all rooms have balconys if you prefer a balcony state that when you make a reservation. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful when we had a question. I do like the location of this older hotel. Next plus was the shower it was good and hot. I never used it but, took a look at the skyview gym. The skyview gym is a nice two floor gym with lots of equipment and has a nice view of downtown cincinnati. One thing about the hotel is the very modern look the lobby had then you get on the elevator and in my opinion its like you step back into the 80's with the elevator walls which I suppose gives a modern and old feel at the same time. The room I kinda felt like was dated but, nonetheless it was a a spacious suite. The elevators all though they were older looking they ran well probably never had more than a 45 second wait which is good for two elevators serving 16 floors. Lets see what else can I mention parking; I believe even though this hotel is older you will find its garage probably has the cheapest parking of all hotels in the city. We arrived shortly after seven friday night and left shortly after 11 this morning and only had to pay six dollars. Some things I disliked about the garage were the elevators and the rather long twists and turns in the breezeway you had to make to get into the lobby. The elevators in the garage seemed to be iffy well one of the right side is anyway. Everytime you would step on you could feel the elevator relevel itself with the floor. The breezeway or whatever you want to call it had you go through a door down some steps turn up some steps turn and down some more steps and through another door and your finally in the lobby. I think thats how it went anyway its something similar to that if I didn't quote it just right. One big pro though throughout that whole breezeway is all the security cameras. They have high security with their cameras here. Once you reach the final door that goes into the lobby they have a camera there with a doorbell and they have to buzz you in. I thought that gave it a nice touch considering the fact where they can see you with a camera they won't let just anybody in the hotel through the breezeway area. Anyway think its time to conclude this review. I probably would not pay to stay here one main reason is there isn't a pool. I mean most people don't have to have a pool but, if I ever were back in the area I would probably pay somewhere that has a pool not to be mean towards this place but, thats just me. One last question I have for you all there at the hotel "I was told this place was once an Apartment Building converted over into a hotel". Its not nothing that bothered me over it I was just curious about being told that and wondering if there is truth to that or not and would appreciate someone replying back soon to me about that. I have something that could be useful tip for you all in the future. I would look into redoing the room numbers on the doors no offense to you all but, they are rather small and hard to see until your right up on them. By the way I thought it was a nice touch having door bells on the doors. Again thanks to Mr. Douthat for everything he did.

Room Tip: I didn't get to look at them but, if you want to go for something spacious I would choose one of...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at the Garfield Suites Hotel!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! This definitely the most feedback we've received in a single review and we agree that there is a lot to love about our hotel!

We really do have some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and I will make sure to read this review at our staff meeting today. We will make sure that this excellent customer service is recognized.

We are happy that you enjoyed our large, spacious suites. We offer the largest hotel suites that you'll find anywhere in the world! It's true!

It is nice letters like yours that make us all work hard to remain friendly and motivated. It really makes our day!

Please call with any questions, additional feedback or special requests.

Mick Douthat - Director of Sales
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed in the Garfield Suites Hotel about a month ago randomly and liked it so much that I suggested it for a girl's get away weekend the next month. The place is dated but very clean...I felt like I was staying in an apartment instead of a hotel, which was a bit freeing! I adore the staff there...on my first visit I realized that I left my saline solution at home and the woman behind the desk actually offered to bring me some from her home. So down to earth and funny! On the second visit, staff remembered me and were so welcoming! The free shuttle was great and the proximity to fun night life was a bonus. I will certainly stay there again...we are planning another get away in January.

Room Tip: Get a double room with a balcony...just a little more and worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are truly fortunate to have some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and I will make sure to read this email at our staff meeting today. We will make sure that this excellent customer service is recognized.

We also appreciate your recommendation of our hotel to your friends. Thanks for the opportunity!

Holmes Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I were in town to catch one of our favorite bands....We were especially impressed with the shuttle driver, I believe his name was Randy?? He really made us feel at home and accommodated. Thanks Randy!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed in the Garfield Suites Hotel for 3 months for a business trip and never had a problem with the services. The room was like a small apartment with a kitchen, dining area, bathroom, living room and a huge bedroom. The kitchen was complete with a ref, dishwasher, oven and stove and is perfect when your staying in Cincinnati for some time. The bedroom had a huge closet, comfortable bed, and TV. The bathroom had hot and cold water and was really spacious and clean. It is also one of the best options since it's only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the business district and there are lots of restaurants and malls nearby. You can also do your laundry inside the hotel, they have 2 laundry rooms and use of the washing machine and dryer is affordable.

They have a restaurant at the ground floor which serves delicious comfort food and is open until midnight (I think) which is convenient for the late night food cravings.

What I love about this hotel is that they are very customer centered. You can check with the management if they could give you a discount if you are planning to stay for a long time. They also have afternoon drinks and finger food (I think it's every Wednesday) free for the guests where the manager and staff meet and talk to the guests. The staff is really accommodating and always willing to cater to the guests' needs

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel and would recommend staying here when you are in Cincinnati.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business