“Get what you pay for...”

Garfield Suites Hotel
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cleveland, Ohio
“Get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

For a $129+tax/night room, when all other hotels in the immediate area range between $200-500/night, I'd say this place was "as expected". The rooms are very large, as most every reviewer states, and kept well-cleaned. The fully equipped kitchenette is ideal for a long-term stay. The staff I encountered were all between quietly polite and pleasantly friendly. I did not take advantage of the hotel-provided shuttle, instead choosing to walk to several bars/restaurants and The Great American Ballpark. There are abundant dining and entertainment options within a 5-10 minute walk. The direct access, covered parking garage is a nice perk during inclement weather.

Now for the other shoe: the furnishings and décor were the cheapest possible options when they were new...30 YEARS AGO!!! Routine wear & tear over the past couple decades only serves to amplify how low grade the rooms really are. Any suite hotel that still has picture tube TV's immediately gets downgraded to "dinosaur" status. The old TV was in the living room, but the flat screen in the bedroom was equally worthless without the proper HD hookups.

As I said at the top, you generally get what you pay for in this world. So while the furnishings and décor were clearly outdated, the location, cleanliness, and decent staff easily held up the other end of the value equation. Would I stay here again? Yeah, probably. But I'm just as likely to pony up the extra dollars for more in-room comfort and posh.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a much better view of downtown Cincinnati and/or the Ohio River.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value in the heart of the entertainment district of downtown Cincinnati. We are pleased to hear that you found your suite to be clean and spacious and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We are also happy that you enjoyed our 42" plasma TVs that are indeed in every living room. We will soon be adding newer TVs in the bedrooms too! We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Reviewed 6 April 2014

1 Elevator was broke, had to wait the min of 15mins to get crammed into the other, all you heard was loud parties, seen a bunch of drunk people and smelled pot throughout the halls,not really my idea of a good time

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Khirst3044
Thank you for writing your first TripAdvisor review. The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value. We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. We are very interested in learning what suite that you stayed in and your dates of stay so we can address these issues individually. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat

Travellers are raving about these Cincinnati hotels

Bloomfield Hills
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed overnight on a Saturday in March 2014 in a two-bedroom suite with another couple. The suite was comfortable and roomy. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony, which was nice. The beds were comfortable. Yes, the decorating is dated, but it is clean. We liked having the kitchen. The concierge staff was great in giving advice on where to go for dinner and catching the shuttle to the casino. The elevators are slow, so allow time to wait your turn.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow. Allow extra time.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! We are happy to hear that you found your suite to be comfortable and roomy. We do indeed have the largest suites that you'll find anywhere in the world!. We are also pleased that you found the beds to be comfortable. They are Serta Perfect Sleepers, so hopefully you slept perfectly! Yes, the decorating is dated, but it is clean (as you mentioned) and new furniture is coming soon! We train our staff to know our area well (the Entertainment District) so happy that you found that the concierge staff was great in giving advice on where to go for dinner and catching the shuttle to the casino. Thanks again and please do not hesitate to call me when you're returning to downtown Cincinnati! I am always available to take care of any special requests. Sincerely, Mick Douthat. 513.728.5394 cell.
Indianapolis
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The front desk has one particular individual who was extremely rude and impatient. I know this may sound a tad bit dramatic but that staff member literally acted as if he hated his job and life. My friends and I tried to cheer him up with jokes and funny stories and the guy threaten to call the cops on us because we were "too loud". I dont codon violence or wish bad things upon people but this fool should be fired and replaced with someone who actually cares about their customers needs and wants. When I was walking down the halls that are lined in pink wallpaper and green carpet i felt as if I was in my grandmas house or a retirement home. By far the most outdated hotel ive ever stayed at. Personally I will never stay at this hotel again and I would never recommend staying here. PLEASE consider this strongly before you waste your money on this terribly designed hotel and flawed staff.

• Stayed March 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Though the branding is fresh, the staff as helpful as they can be and central location, this hotel is "long in the tooth." Everything in our room was serviceable and clean, but far from from current...like early 1990's far.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your valuable feedback. We truly appreciate all feedback - both positive and/or constructive. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be as helpful as they can be and that you loved the central location in the heart of downtown's entertainment district and near the casino. We understand that we are not the Ritz Carlton by any stretch but happy that you did find everything in your condo-suite serviceable and clean. The good news is that we are planning on replacing the furniture very soon... so stay tuned! In the meantime, we will continue to provide the city's largest accommodations with super-friendly service at the best value you'll find anywhere. Please do not hesitate to call me with any questions or special requests for your return visit. Sincerely, Mick Douthat. 513.728.5394 cell
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

It’s hard to be too critical of a place that is stuck in a time warp. There is a certain charm to the Garfield Suites but it only goes so far. The rooms are huge and it’s more like an apartment than a hotel room, which makes it ideal for long-term stays. Housekeeping did an EXCELLENT job in cleaning the rooms. However, the décor is circa 1985 and the beds feel as if they haven’t been switched out since then. The parking garage is a crazy maze to get to and impossible with bags. The wireless runs as slow as the old dial up. When I called down to ask if there was an issue with the connection, it was first suggested I go into the hall to use the computer then when that didn’t work, was given the number to Time Warner Cable. They wanted the hotel guest to deal with their Internet provider! They also had no way for a guest to print an email or send a FAX. Not ideal for a business trip. The location too is a bit iffy. Right across from the public library where lots of people hang out all day. The library’s internet is faster though!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back on low floors are blocked by the garage. Room on the front can be noisy. Ask for...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is very dated but served our purpose. Even though it was old, it is kept clean. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with full kitchen which came in handy. there is a small convenient store directly across the street which we visited, but disappointed the only milk on the shelf was expired. well, can't blame the hotel for that! The front desk staff, maid service and shuttle service all had extra friendly/helpful service. I used the fitness equipment, which was nothing special, but worked....could certainly use updates and tv's but it is in a room full of windows so there is plenty of bright natural light. We saw a couple dogs being walked in the lobby so it seems to be a pet friendly hotel. there was a decent tv in the main space and one of the bedrooms. the other bedroom had a tiny tv without a remote. the suite had 1.5 bathrooms and the 1/2 bath stopped up easily & neither had exhaust which seemed strange. bath & body works soaps & shampoos were provided. The kitchen had a coffee maker. The place seemed more for long term stay than a one night stop, but it was spacious and worked out for my family of 4 however we thought the mattresses were too hard and not comfortable for a long term sleep.

Room Tip: see if they have any updated rooms if you want the hotel feel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value. We are pleased to hear that you found your suite to be clean and spacious and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We are also happy that you enjoyed our 42" plasma TVs that our in every living room. We will soon be adding newer TVs in the bedrooms too! We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. We are very interested in learning what suite that you stayed in and your dates of stay so we can address these issues individually. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat.