“This hotel does not deserve a four-star review”

Garfield Suites Hotel
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cleveland, Ohio
“This hotel does not deserve a four-star review”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I made a reservation for one night at Garfield Suites after seeing several four-star reviews. We do not share the enthusiasm of the four-star ratings. There are some positives: It's a pretty good location, particularly if you're in town for a football or baseball game. The manager at the front desk was very friendly and "upgraded" us to a two-bedroom, one-and-a-half bath suite. Sounded great. However, I had a bad feeling as soon as I walked through the rather old and weathered front doors and into a lobby that wasn't nearly as nice as the pictures indicate. I again had a bad feeling when we got off the elevator and saw the hallway was in need of vacuuming and a maid sitting on a bench in no hurry to remedy the situation. (The messy hallway was still there when we left in the morning.) The room was big but nothing to get excited about ... the furnishings are old and show plenty of wear. The TVs in the living area and one bedroom were flat screens, but in one bedroom it was a rather old 19-inch monitor with a mediocre picture. These are minor gripes, however. The sink in the main bathroom had a leaky fixture and water was pooling on the countertop. I had to lay a towel down on the counter to soak it up and leave it there or it would eventually have dripped onto the floor. The light fixture above a small dining table was missing. If you're looking for a lot of room at a low rate and these things don't bother you, then this would be fine. However, this hotel is in real need of upgrades. The manager was very friendly, but I think someone needs to light a fire under the cleaning staff. We did not sample the workout room, restaurant or bar areas, so I cannot comment on those facilities. We went out to eat, slept, and got out of there. I do think it's important to note that this hotel falls far short of a four-star review, at least in our experience.

Room Tip: I could hear a skateboarder traveling down the sidewalk at about midnight even though I was on the 1...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value. We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expecations. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Dirty, outdated and scary all over. Do NOT stay here. You will need to scrub yourself for weeks to get clean. Layers of dust, dingy old 1960's appliances and mattress and spreads. I wouldn't DARE walk barefoot in any room here. Book at your own risk!!
You were warned....

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank danis24
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value. We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are very interested in learning what suite that you stayed in and your dates of stay so we can address the other issues individually. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat

Travellers are raving about these Cincinnati hotels

Indiana
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This hotel was in a great location. Close to many restaurants and the Horseshoe Casino. Very nice rooms, great view. We had room service for breakfast great food, great prices, great service fast meals. The only draw back from this place Is the parking. You have to park in the garage down the block and walk through hallways over, not convenient. Also we reserved through an online site and made payment at that time and the hotel also charged us. Not convenient again since money was taken out of our account twice, Took a few days to get money back in our account. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony was great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and it was just terrible. Got in the room and it was still not clean. There were empty Red Bull cans in the living room and cigarettes in a water bottle in the balcony. It was downright disgusting. The group I came down with, rented two conference rooms. We had one place until 1am and they closed down before midnight. BS. Also asked the front desk why the elevator was not working and he gave me attitude. I walked away looking upset and he said "you could say thank you" Why should I say thank you to someone who was completely rude to me? Overall, IM NEVER COMING BACK!!

• Stayed April 2014
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value. We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. I am sorry that the Theta Xi fraternity formal had to be closed an hour earlier than scheduled. If you weren't aware, this was due to repeated attempts by some of the attendees of bringing in outside alcoholic beverages into your banquet room. This was very unfortunate indeed. We are very interested in learning what suite that you stayed in and your dates of stay so we can address the other issues individually. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Great hotel to stay at for events. We were in Cincinnati for the Bruce Springsteen concert on April 8th and stayed 2 nights in a 2 bedroom suite. Wonderful location! Check in was great and the lady at the front desk was super sweet and helpful! She told us where to park (the parking garage had an entrance to follow to get back to the hotel so we didn't need to walk around the street corner) and also grabbed us two bags of ice. The suites were definitely dated but not enough to downgrade our stay! Everything was clean and well maintained. The beds were super comfortable! Full size fridge was awesome to have after we checked out Jungle Jim's market. Called ahead of time to request a room on a higher floor and got room 1603 which was beyond perfect! Didn't have any issues with our experience here at all, absolutely nothing to complain about! Can't wait to see what it looks like when we

Room Tip: Try to get on the 16th floor, street side. No noise level and FANTASTIC view from the balcony!
Greenup, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed at Garfield Suites for one night while in town for a Bruce Springsteen concert April 8, 2014. The staff was excellent in every way. Easy check in and super easy parking. Our two bedroom suite was clean and spacious. Beds were comfortable. Plenty of nice towels and amenities. Large living area and full kitchen. Plenty of cable channels on large flat screen. TV in both bedrooms as well. Also a balcony was nice. Food and drinks at the hotel restaurant and bar were very good. Shuttle service was friendly and prompt. Close to markets. Actually a nice little market just across the street! Thanks to all staff for a great and problem free stay!! Will definitely stay there on our next trip to Cincinnati!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. You get a view and can step outside whenever you want.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2014

For a $129+tax/night room, when all other hotels in the immediate area range between $200-500/night, I'd say this place was "as expected". The rooms are very large, as most every reviewer states, and kept well-cleaned. The fully equipped kitchenette is ideal for a long-term stay. The staff I encountered were all between quietly polite and pleasantly friendly. I did not take advantage of the hotel-provided shuttle, instead choosing to walk to several bars/restaurants and The Great American Ballpark. There are abundant dining and entertainment options within a 5-10 minute walk. The direct access, covered parking garage is a nice perk during inclement weather.

Now for the other shoe: the furnishings and décor were the cheapest possible options when they were new...30 YEARS AGO!!! Routine wear & tear over the past couple decades only serves to amplify how low grade the rooms really are. Any suite hotel that still has picture tube TV's immediately gets downgraded to "dinosaur" status. The old TV was in the living room, but the flat screen in the bedroom was equally worthless without the proper HD hookups.

As I said at the top, you generally get what you pay for in this world. So while the furnishings and décor were clearly outdated, the location, cleanliness, and decent staff easily held up the other end of the value equation. Would I stay here again? Yeah, probably. But I'm just as likely to pony up the extra dollars for more in-room comfort and posh.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a much better view of downtown Cincinnati and/or the Ohio River.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GarfieldSuites, General Manager at Garfield Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
The Garfield Suites Hotel takes great pride in providing excellent accommodations at an outstanding value in the heart of the entertainment district of downtown Cincinnati. We are pleased to hear that you found your suite to be clean and spacious and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We are also happy that you enjoyed our 42" plasma TVs that are indeed in every living room. We will soon be adding newer TVs in the bedrooms too! We hold ourselves accountable as a team and individually to ensure 100% guest satisfaction at our hotel. We are happy to report that the vast majority of our guests are repeat guests that stay with us over and over again. Please call me on my cell phone to discuss the details of your stay. My cell # is 513.728.5394. Sincerely, Mick Douthat.