“Don't fall for the cheap price”

Garfield Suites Hotel
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Huntington, WV
“Don't fall for the cheap price”
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My wife and I spent a weekend getaway at this property located in downtown Cincinnati. Compared to other nearby hotels, room rates at the Garfield Suites are considerably cheaper. Now I know why! The accommodations are spartan, and that’s being kind! The worst experience came during the final night of our stay. The hotel booked a group of 4 or 5 men in the room next to us who proceeded to literally tear the place apart. Yelling and fighting began late in the evening and continued well into the wee hours of the morning. We called security and the hotel did send someone to contact the rowdy crowd, but it only quelled things for a few minutes. At one point it became so violent, my wife and I considered calling the local police as we feared for our safety. The next morning, I described this encounter when I checked out. The manager reluctantly acknowledged the situation and offered a free night’s stay in a future visit, promising to mail a coupon. That was nearly 3 months ago and I’ve yet to receive anything! Pay a few dollars more and stay in a real hotel downtown.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WVc0uple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Boston, Ma
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Just visited Cincinnati for the MidPointMusic Festival, and this hotel was recommended on their "guest accomodation" suggestion list. I don't think I've ever had so much room for such a reasonable price anywhere. Two bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, a full living room, and a kitchenette stocked with dishes, silverware and glasses.
We had a wonderful view from our upper floor, and the hotel was within easy walking distance of anywhere we wanted to go downtown. The front desk people were very cordial and helpful, and the room was clean and quiet. The furnishings aren't all brand new, but they are more than servicable, and add a bit of comfortable hominess to the accommodations.
I would definitely recommend The Garfield Suites to anyone visiting Cincinnati, for either business or vacation.
The only inconvenience we encountered was that the wireless service in our room for laptop use was intermittent, but we could have used the wifi at the Garfield Cafe downstairs if we chose to. I don't know if this was a more widespread concern than just our particular problem.
One caution for shower use: the faucets are not the circular "safety" dial type, and require adjusting the separate hot and cold taps, which can result in the water temperature getting uncomfortably hot suddenly, so caution must be used.
All and all, this is a great place to stay and we will definitely return anytime we're in Cincinnati.

• Liked — The amount of space to spread out in!
  • Disliked — The intermittent internet capacity
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
MN
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Excellent Service! Went to the Front Desk and asked for a different type of room...No problem. On Wednesday they had complimentary snacks and drinks, had a great conversation with the manager. Only reason it is not a 5 is the Air Conditioner was pretty loud.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Noisy AC
lawgirl9171
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I stayed at the Garfield over the weekend of September 19-21. We had a large two bedroom suite, almost as big as my apartment, for $100 less than the Westin, two blocks away. We were walking distance from the ballpark and Oktoberfest. The room service was unbelievably cheap and fast. There was an actual cable package of about 95 channels, as opposed to the 6 or 7 you normally get, as well as a large flat screen TV and DVD player, and a TV in one of the bedrooms. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and the room was clean and neat. cosmetically it needed a little work, but that's a small thing to deal with. the air conditioner in the bedroom might bother some, because there is a bit of a hum, but I liked it because I heard absolutely no noise from the street or city. The kitchen was great, and we even cooked a full dinner. The housekeepers even loaded and ran the dishwasher for us. If I go back to Cincinnati I will definitely stay here.

• Liked — Great location and value
  • Disliked — The room service came in takeout containers
Kentucky
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We recently visited Cincinnati for Oktoberfest 2008, and as usual, we stayed at the Garfield. I've been frequenting this hotel for 8 years now, as it has proven to be the best place to stay.

Upon check in the room was ready, very clean, with all the amenities present. The staff was extremely helpful, bringing some extra toiletries in mere minutes when we realized we had forgotten a few things.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant our first night in town, and the food is excellent. Personally, I recommend, the Angus burger, but that's just me.

In all my times staying at the Garfield, the one thing that has struck me is the quiet of the hotel. They take their 'no party' policy seriously, and so you have no problems getting to sleep, even if you decide to turn in early or sleep late.

Also worth mentioning is the convenience of the location. With great restaurants and bars all around, it's only a few minutes walk from everything you need. Oktoberfest was a mere two blocks away, and it's only a few blocks more to the stadiums (Bengals/Reds).

Rates are excellent, with a two bedroom suite running about the same cost as a comparable single room at most other hotels downtown. All in all, this hotel delivers everything you need at sa price the other simply can't touch.

• Liked — The convenience of the location
  • Disliked — The internet access was a little slower than I had hoped.
Cincinnati
Reviewed 22 September 2008

As a Corporate Meeting Planner I work with alot of hotels, convention centers, etc and I can assure anyone that the Banquet Department at this hotel can be counted on for anything and everything.

Our meetings ALWAYS go over smoothly and the hotel can always accomodate our frequently changing needs during meetings.

Food is always good, Meeting Space varies and can accomodate many different set ups from board room style to 70 Theater style.

We love the Garfield!!!!

• Liked — Apartment Style Hotel Room
  • Disliked — Needs updating
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Chicago IL
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Five star rating all around. Great hotel (all condos) Excellent customer service, centrally located, easy walk to everything (including Great American Ball Park). Prices are GREAT!!!

After enjoying a fun filled weekend, found out I had forgotten couple of items in Hotel Lobby. Phoned hotel Sunday night,
by Monday, everything was being sent back to me. WOW!!!
Truly an enjoyable experience. Special thanks to Joan in Housekeeping and Mick in Cust Srvc/Sales. Kudos to both of you.

• Liked — central location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple