“Good City Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Good City Hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great location with good access to the river front and the Dukes Conference Centre. The staff were very helpfull and efficient, but I suspect that they were a litttle overwhelmed in the dining room at breakfast, where tables were a bit slow in coming and many seemd to remain uncleared for long periods. Also slightly surprised to meet a memeber of staff using the toilet facilities in the swimming pool area !

Room Tip: Very comfortable rooms with good wifi signal. Room tips, try and get corner rooms, so anything endin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Hyatt Regency Columbus. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel, as well as the service. I do however apologize for the wait time while in our restaurant. Please know that your comments have been shared and addressed by management. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Natasha Hristovska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a really good experience at this hotel, but there were very small issues that kept it from being 5 stars.

The good:
* The restaurant staff. I tried about all of the dining possibilities. From the Market staff, to the breakfast staff, to the dinner/bar staff, these people were excellent. Service was always efficient and we were always met with a smile. They all had great recommendations and were very knowledgeable about the respective menus.

* The concierge. I was given excellent recommendations and good directions.

* The library. They have a library!! It isn't a secluded spot for quiet reading, but I frequently brought my book down and read in this area. There is a wall full of books in case you forget your own reading material.

* The gym. Completely up to date, enough machines to stay in shape, plus free weights. Towels, headphones, and water are all easily accessible. Cardio equipment allows you to watch TV or listen to music while you work out.

The fine:
* Housekeeping. I always look first to the corners of the room to check the level of cleanliness. This passed with flying colors. I think overall the quality of housekeeping is very good. However, one day I came back to the room and lotion or conditioner had spilled near the door while I was out. There was no bottle there, so I'm not sure if the staff noticed it happened. Just an odd occurrence I'm sure.

* The room itself. I haven't decided whether I liked it. We had a corner room (xx01). The position of the bed was really nice, but I think (hope) the bathroom was smaller than other rooms. It was a pretty tight fit for the two of us. The television was large. It had limited channel selection, but my favorites were there, including Fox Sports 1.

* Checking in. We were greeted warmly, but when I asked to have my Hyatt Gold Passport number added to the reservation, I was told she wasn't sure it would work because the stay was booked in my husband's name. I don't recall this being an issue in the past, and I was frustrated that she didn't even attempt to add it.

The not-so-fantastic:
* The pool. I can't imagine staying on the fifth floor with the pool. A couple of times the elevator stopped on this floor and there was such a strong chlorine smell. I went to the pool on my second day, and I hope it is next on the list for renovations. It has a small outdoor area next to it where I hoped to get some sun, but the chairs were dated and the plants didn't seem healthy. It was not very relaxing.

Room Tip: The city view is nice if you are on high enough and if the room faces northeast, toward Fountain Squ...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your thorough review of your recent stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your food and beverage experience, as well as other amenities our hotel has to offer like the state of the art fitness facility and our library, to name just a few. I do however apologize that your experience in our pool did not meet your expectations. Our saline pool is very popular amongst our guests, but I have had our engineering team address the chlorine odor accordingly. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Please allow us the opportunity to serve you again the next time you find yourself in need of accommodations in the area.

Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We just stayed at the hyatt for one night for a Reds game and it was very nice. The front desk workers were very helpful and accommodating. We asked for a room with a view of the river and that is what she gave us! The room was a little small but very clean and comfortable. We were also able to walk to the reds stadium in about 10-15 minutes which saved us money on parking near the stadium. Very nice stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It certainly seems like you had a great time. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. Hopefully, we can welcome you back the next time the Reds are playing. Go Reds!

Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt 4 nights in March for a convention. It was a very pleasant stay and across the street from the Convention Center which made it very convenient. The room was spacious and very nicely appointed. The bed was so comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the city...from the 22nd floor. The front desk was very helpful, and check-in, check-out was quick and efficient. The restaurant off the lobby had a great menu both for a quick lunch during lunch break at the Convention and for a slower pace at dinner. They were very accommodating for take out of several of the menu items which made it especially convenient the night I checked in late ... about 10:30 PM. I drove to the Convention, so I had to park my car with the Valet. They actually use a lot that's nearby the hotel. I was a little concerned about the safety of the car in the lot, although I never saw the lot. I trusted the hotel personnel when they said they'd "never had an issue". Parking is a bit pricey, but you can get your car from the valet as many times during the day as you want with no extra charge. The public parking lots nearby all charge at least $15 for a 24 hour period if your car stays there the entire 24 hours. If you have to get your car out and then re-enter those public lots, they charge you an additional $15 in the same 24 hour period. So I guess it's all relative! Hyatt valet parking was a "deal" at $18 per day! I would definitely stay at this Hyatt Regency in downtown Cincinnati if I go back for another Convention.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the 5-star review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your convention. We love our location in the downtown area and I hope you do get the opportunity to come back and explore our great city. Please think of Hyatt should your travels allow for a return.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Had to spend an extra night in Cincinnati due to bad weather and our flight being cancelled again. There were no hotels available near the airport due to all the delays so we headed back downtown and thankfully were able to get a few rooms at the hyatt. The staff were so accommodating and the room was big and clean which I appreciated especially after staying a scary night at the hotel across the street. Drinks and food at the bar were great! Great location downtown!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to hear that we were able to turn an unfortunate situation due to the weather, into a positive experience. We hope to have another opportunity to be of service the next time your travel needs bring you to our city.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at Hyatt Regency for my conference which was held at Hyatt (April 29-30, 2014).I had a long crappy day at the airport on the check-in day, Monday 29th,I reached the hotel around 12:30am. The receptionist greeted me and asked me how was my day? I told him about my flight delays , he gave the room keys room no.1206 or 1200 (do not remember well) and told me "I hope you can relax after the long day, have a wonderful stay". I went to my room turned the lights at the entrance, when I entered it was a big open dark room, the lights (main switch) were not turning on because someone had turned them off at the source(I called the help desk, which took 30min to send help) after that I realized this room had a lovely kitchen, a six seater dining table, a big sectional couch and a nice flat screen TV...oh wait! where is the BED??? yes, no bed to sleep.....am I dreaming or what? The person who came to help for the lights told me that they gave me a center part of the suite and they will bring me a roll away bed...what? At that point I was tired, frustrated and annoyed, but I kept my calm and called the help desk for another room, he sent another person after 30min with room keys, this guy was nice enough to carry my bag to the room. This person told me that there was some confusion and they gave me the wrong room. Confusion? Its past mid-night, I had made my reservation a month prior, there is no rush or people waiting in line...so why was I given a room without a BED? I went to bed at 3:00 am and could not get enough sleep because my conference was at 7:30am. How can a 4star hotel make such a mistake and you guys also charged me for that night and technically I did not even use it. I told this story to all my colleagues and people had an exclamation on their face "no BED!"

THANKS FOR RUINING MY CONFERENCE

Room Tip: "Ask for room with BED!"
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Maya2034
HRCincinnati, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cincinnati, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent stay at our property. I am very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. I definitely understand your frustration due to being checked into the parlor of a suite and I assure you that this is certainly not acceptable. Please know that your feedback has been shared with our Director of Rooms and has been addressed accordingly. If you would like to discuss details of your stay further so we improve our facility and services, please feel free to contact me.

We try to accommodate each of our guests beyond their expectations, and I do hope to have that opportunity with you. Again, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I were attending a conference at the Duke Energy Center (connected to Hyatt on 2nd floor skywalk) and stayed for three nights. We had a wonderful stay with only a few minor complaints.

Pros:
-Fast, Friendly service. From the front desk to the maintenance men who helped fix our key unit on the door were prompt and amazingly friendly. 5 stars for the excellent service.
-Updated rooms and decor. The hotel has undergone recent updating. Everything is clean and bright. While not the cozy feel of many hotels, I appreciated the atmosphere and loved the clean lines and feeling.
-King Bed River View room. We had 1702 which was a corner room. Absolutely fabulous. Great view, Plenty of space in the bed/living area. Thankful for the mini fridge and keyless safe included with room price.
-Proximity to many dining options from $-$$$.
-Easy access to Duke Energy Center
-3 elevators made for relatively quick "commutes" even in morning and evening rush hour during conference
-This is a little thing but made a big impact- the new decor (lamps, etc) have outlets built in! No more scrambling on the floor of a hotel room trying to find outlets to charge all of the devices. This was wonderful!
-The little coffee maker made a quick, decent cup of coffee. I had brought my own creamer packets and it was perfect.
-The linens and complimentary bath products were some of the best I've had in hotels.

CONS-
-The bathroom in the corner room was quite small. One person only. A little hard to get ready in the morning. Awkward door opening into the toilet.
-The tub/shower tile was not updated and kind of sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all of the wonderful updates done.
-No onsite parking
-SLOW internet. The basic wifi was included in our conference package but would normally cost $5 each day. It was painfully slow. No streaming (we were hoping to watch some netflix). Sites like Facebook or email attachments were very slow to open. Not sure if this was our room location being at the end of the hall or the way the basic package was. A premium access would have been $10 a day which I'm sure would be faster.

TIPS:
-For cheaper overnight parking (only onsite option is $28/per day valet which always was backed up) we went to Fountain Square garage which was about 2 blocks away. Only about $15 a day. For a Thursday evening-Sunday morning we paid $41.
-The onsite restaurant Red Roost Tavern was fantastic (slightly slow service) and not overly pricey in comparing other options in Fountain square area (we had tried Via Vite and Rock Bottom also with less than raving review).
-Bring your own breakfast (protein shake, slim fast, oatmeal bars, bagels) to keep in fridge- saves a lot of money not having to buy onsite or nearby.

Room Tip: High floor river view were wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple