“Not recommended for couples or families”

Millennium Cincinnati
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
“Not recommended for couples or families”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and the choice was not mine. Regardless, I read the other reviews before staying, and I must say that it was as disappointing as others had indicated. I stayed for 5 nights at a rate of $140 per night in room 659, which faced Elm Street, overlooking the convention center.

Google maps indicated the hotel is "business-friendly". From the point of convenience if you're attending a conference, I would have to say that's true. It's also within a reasonable walking distance to a good amount to bars, restaurants and the ball park.

When we first pulled up, the valet was trying to take the car before we even had our luggage out. I realize they need to keep the front clear for traffic, but it was not particularly busy when we arrived. Having read the other reviews about parking, I insisted on leaving the car parked until I could assess all the parking options. As it turned out, the valet parking was $25/day, but there was a garage 1 block up that only charged $10/day. The only possible advantage to choosing the valet, would be if you needed frequent in-and-out privileges. Even then, the $75 we saved covered the few cab rides we took (not to mention not having to pay to park a car wherever we traveled). Check in went well, and the desk staff was friendly.

The room was on the small side, being dated and somewhat sparse. Each bed only had two pillows, and the bottom sheet seemed to just barely fit (standard sheet on top of the mattress that pulled up revealing the mattress as soon as someone lay on the bed). The beds were on frames that creaked when used.

The room in general could have used a better cleaning-- dust in corners and hair under the bed. The air conditioning worked well, so that was a relief. Having also been in other co-workers' rooms, there was a musty odor throughout, though one room was reminiscent of a high school boys locker room after a football game.

There was no refrigerator in the room. The hotel guide said you could request one, but would be charged an additional fee. There was no microwave or safe in the room, either. Only one three drawer dresser was present, and a very basic alarm clock. Speaking of the hotel guide binder, some of the pages were torn out of the binding and none of the phone numbers to the area attractions/businesses included area codes. The "convenient" list just became inconvenient, as I have to search the Internet for the full contact numbers.

Access to power outlets was sparse. One lamp on the desk had 2 outlets, and there was a multi-outlet on the wall under one of the beds. This was the only option to charge my phone and keep it near me while I slept. Frankly, I'm not fond of having to crawl on a hotel floor to find an outlet. The other interesting thing is that 2 of the lamps in the room were unplugged, and I was only able to find an outlet near one of them.

And then there was the TV.... Only a few of the buttons on the remote seemed to work with the TV. Once it was turned on, it seemed the only way to change channels was to press the menu button, select "watch TV", then choose one of only about a dozen channels. If you wanted to surf channels, you had to go through the same process each time, as the channel up/down button did not work. Others guests had similar complaints, so this wasn't an isolated issue. Also, there was no media strip or way to plug your device into the TV to watch your own videos.

Even 6 floors up, the noise from the street was obvious, be it traffic, construction or emergency vehicles. I've stayed in other hotels with similar traffic patterns and the noise was significantly less.

The bathroom was fairly clean, though there was one corner with dirt or mold. The fixtures were old and worn, and the shower head was mounted a little under 6 feet. While common for older hotels, it's still frustrating that I have to twist and duck to get wet. At least there was hot water and the tub drained fairly well, which were complaints mentioned in other reviews. The toilet constantly trickled, causing it refill every 5-10 minutes. The sink took a very long time to drain-- simply brushing your teeth or shaving would fill the bowl.

There was one half of a roll of toilet paper when we checked in, with no spare to be found. I thought this may have been an honest oversight, though the next day housekeeping didn't leave more. I grabbed one roll from housekeeping, but the situation just repeated itself regardless of how little toilet paper was left. Seriously? Is there such a shortage of toilet paper that they have to be asked to give me a roll?

Lastly, there was no breakfast offered. Even a simple continental breakfast would have been nice.

So, if you're looking for a place that's close to the convention center or somewhere to crash after a late night at the Red's game, this may suffice if the price was right. However, I suggest you look somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Manager222, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Cincinnati, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Mr. Larry,

At the Millennium Hotel Cincinnati, we pride ourselves on providing the best service to all of our guests. Because of that, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for your recent experience. Please know that our management team has responded to your concerns.
If you would like to discuss your concerns further please feel free to contact me directly at brenda.wellman@mill-usa.com

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Rooms are outdated and they need to invest in their rooms in things like pillows, comforters,ac/heat. Pool was nice had bar open till 6p. Good location. But not worth whole price,maybe as a bargain deal needed last minute.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mocha2143
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your comments regarding your stay. It is through honest feedback that we can continue to improve the service we provide our guests. We do hope to see you again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cincinnati hotels

Anderson, Indiana
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just stayed at the Millennium and it was definitely no where close to being worth the money! The lobby, the 6th floor and our room smelled like there had been a flood; very musty and damp. The room was not nearly as nice as the on-line photos. We requested pillows and none ever came. The alarm clock didn't work, the air conditioner didn't cool down the room and to top it off, there was a brown stain over the toilet paper holder. Unfortunately, changing rooms wouldn't alleviate the awful smell.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ba46011
Manager222, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Cincinnati, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Our team has responded to your feedback and is always looking for ways to improve our service. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to see you again soon.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stay was quite expensive for one double bed. The room was dated and sparse to say the least. A bed, a dresser, tv and chair. Dust on the base of the headboard was thick but overall room was fairly clean. Two very small pillows were on the bed and when I asked for a couple more I was brought one. Around 2AM I went to the vending machine in the lobby for a snack and there were people partying and getting drunk in the lobby. One man (I am assuming he was homeless) approached me and asked me for cash to see a magic trick. It was not the kind of atmosphere that I expected for spending what we did for a one night stay. Very disappointed. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel M

Camby
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The location is wonderful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Room was a little small but clean. I will stay here again, even though it's time for a remodel. Pool is very nice. One negative is the hotel restaurant stops serving food at 10pm.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ESMCKAY
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This is not the absolute worst, there are some Motel 6 that are actually in worse shape. But this hotel's rates do not justify the conditions. There is a horse stable kind of smell when you first enter the lobby. They seriously need to consider replacing the worn carpets and placing some fresh flowers. Our room was actually decent and clean, aside from visible wear and tear here and there. However, not ONE time did our rooms receive any housekeeping! I mean, we saw housekeepers around 5pm, but upon returning to the room nothing had been done. They charge 15 dollars for fridge to be placed in the room when it clearly appears that they snatched them out just to charge for it since we in a party of six buses from other cities. If I had a choice I would never pick this hotel. There plenty of other hotels with excellent location in downtown Cincy.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mngibbs83

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

When we drove near the hotel, it looked nice--modern and tall, with nothing bad about it aesthetically. However, once we entered and checked in at the front desk, I observed that the service wasn't that great. Nobody we met smiled or seemed like they were having fun or enjoyed their job, which gave the area a gloomy feeling.

The room was surprisingly clean, and the beds were comfortable. The amenities were basic, but worked for the one night we were there. The only part about the room that made me frustrated was that the Wifi wasn't free, which was a pain even for one night.

That evening, we decided to swim at the pool. It was very nice, except for the fact that people could smoke in the area...Millennium Hotels should really reconsider their smoking policies, because who loves swimming and breathing in the wonderful smell of cigarette smoke!

Overall, the hotel wasn't my favorite. The service combined with the pool will definitely steer me elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family