“Decent location, average hotel”

Millennium Cincinnati
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Athens, Ohio
“Decent location, average hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked the Millennium for my family of 3's weekend in Cincinnati. Using a 3rd party online service, I got a great rate. In fact, from past experiences, I would dare say that most "special offers" on 3rd party websites are in fact for the Millennium.

The hotel is older, and was once known as the Regal. Rooms are smallish, but typical of an older, downtown hotel. Bathrooms are VERY small. Rooms were clean enough. We experienced typical problems of average hotels, such as slow elevators and non-working ice machines. The whole place is just kind of drab and in need of a makeover. I will say the location is nice - you can walk to anything downtown - ballparks, Fountain Square, etc. Restaurant is a little pricey for breakfast, but no different than any other downtown hotel.

Would probably stay again, but only if the price is right.

Room Tip: There are two towers. The South Tower has the pool, if that's important.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Manager222, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Cincinnati, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Millennium Hotel Cincinnati and for taking the time to provide comments regarding your stay. We appreciate your honest feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we can identify issues, correct them and continue to improve the service that we provide our guests.

We hope that the next time you are in Cincinnati you will consider giving us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were in Cincinnati to see a Reds game and wanted a downtown hotel that was reasonably close to the ballpark. First, the good things about the hotel. The valet parking service and bellhop services are very efficient and we had no problems checking in and checking out. Our bags were delivered to our rooms within five minutes after we arrived. The story was similar when we checked out the next morning. The bedding and the mattresses were very comfortable in our two rooms.

The location of the hotel is good. It is connected to the convention center and Fountain Square is only a two block walk to the east. The Great American Ballpark is about 7 blocks away and is a doable walk. Seven blocks was a bit too much of a walk for my senior citizen mother so we took a cab to the ballpark. We had no problem hailing a cab either way and ended up paying about $10 with tip each way.

As for the not so good. Some of the views listed here are a bit over the top, but there are recurrent themes in them that are somewhat accurate. Priceline lists the hotel as 3 1/2 stars and we are not sure it deserves that high a rating. The hotel might have been nice in the 1980s, but is in sore need of renovation. The hallways of the hotel look like ones can find in a Holiday Inn along any interstate; this was very disappointing for a downtown hotel. The bathroom fixtures in the rooms clearly could use some maintenance and/or replacement. The shower heads showed signs of hardwater and drains were very slow. Sink faucet handles went all the way around when they clearly should not. My mother's room did not have a folding stand for her larger suitcase; she ended up placing it on the other bed. There was no chair in her room as well.

The elevators were noisy when the doors opened and shut and on one ride it appeared that there were some electrical issues with the floor buttons and all the buttons that had been pushed suddenly disappeared causing some riders to miss their floors.

The breakfast buffet the next morning was adequate although maybe a little high priced (but not out of line with what I've paid in other downtown hotels)

We have taken baseball trips to Baltimore and Philadelphia. This hotel was the most disapointing of the three. The room was fine for just one night but I would look elsewhere if I was staying longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a view looking towards the Ohio River.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Millennium Hotel Cincinnati and for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We appreciate your honest feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we can identify issues, correct them and continue to improve the service that we provide our guests.

Best Regards,

louisville, ky
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We visited Cincinnati this past weekend. We wanted to be downtown to be able to get to the Great American Ball Park easily, we wanted an outdoor pool, so we could just relax one day. This was our first weekend away from our kids in a long, long time and we were really excited about it. First, our checkin was quick and easy on Friday. Our room was so-so. Yes, it was dated, but it was clean. Friday was a good day, enjoyed the pool and went to the ball game. Saturday, however, was a different story. We went to breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Don't bother with this. The food was below mediocre and the prices ridiculous! Then we went to the pool. By 11:30 a.m. there was such a huge crowd in the pool area, that some hotel guests with children were picking up and leaving. Can't say I blame them! Apparantely, this is the location for bachelorette parties and just parties in general. You would have thought it was Spring Break on the beach! I am not a snob, but I'm not in my twenties anymore and don't find this type of beahavior amusing or fun. There were so many bodies in the water, drinking, yelling, jumping, etc. We decided that we would leave and come back in a few hours and hopefully it would be better. It was not! It was standing room only, the garbage was everywhere, the party even louder and now it was 3:30 p.m. This was very disappointing, as we had really hoped to just relax that day. When I went downstairs to the lobby to discuss this with a manager, I waited in line for over 45 minutes and had only moved forward a very small amount, I decided that it was not worth it. We left the hotel, again, to find someplace relaxing. We came back around 6:00 p.m. to find that some of the craziness had cleared the pool area, but then a nice downpour seemed to take care of the remainder of the fools and of course, our chance to enjoy the pool. The place was wrecked, beer cans, bottles, cigarette butts, you name it. Even a beach ball that I would not want me teenage children to see. So we spent the remainder of our evening in our room. I don't know that I would stay here again, especially on a weekend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachbum68
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our entire staff for the inconveniences you encountered during your visit. We pride ourselves on our guest satisfaction and ensuring the highest standards for the comfort of our guests. We apologize if that is not what you experienced.

We appreciate your taking the time to offer us your feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we can identify issues, correct them and continue to improve the service that we provide our guests.

Again, we certainly apologize for your inconvenience; I hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cincinnati hotels

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Worst bed EVER!!! Location was convenient. Hotel was close to stadiums and other attractions. Room was clean and comfortable but could definitely use new mattresses and a facelift. The valet parking attendants were efficient and helpful.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Millennium Hotel Cincinnati and for comments regarding your stay. We pride ourselves on our guest satisfaction and ensuring the highest standards for the comfort of our guests. We apologize if that is not what you experienced.

We take all feedback seriously and review all comments with our management team.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Overwhelming odor throughout the entire hotel, I stayed on the 21st floor of the south tower and had to walk past rotting trash in the service elevator area which stunk up the entire floor (room included - see pics). Completely understand that maybe they have not been able to update the property, however there is no excuse for the filth. I also have never felt compelled to write a review before this stay - but yuck, steer clear!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank LalibE2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like you to know that we take your concerns very seriously and I have addressed them with our management team and corrective measures have been taken.

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was such a disappointment. Its central location to the Duke Center and downtown attractions makes it convenient but that is pretty much the only good thing I can say about it.

On the reservation, it was made quite clear that I would be unable to bring a cooler with me, but there were no refrigerators in the rooms. There was also no restaurant for dinner nor was there any way to order room service. There was only 1 waitress working the entire breakfast room, including seating, taking orders, refilling the buffet and clearing tables.

Requests for additional pillows and towels were ignored. Requests to fix broken items were ignored. Different staff were unable to give directions to Fountain Square and there were no maps available at the front desk. There was "free wifi" but the signal was so poor that I couldn't even send an email.

The hotel lobby itself had an overwhelming smell of mildew and the front area by the valet smelled like urine and cigarette smoke. The trash cans near the front had obviously not been emptied in a while and stunk.

Our room had an unpleasant smell to it also. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable and lumpy. The sheets felt like sandpaper and didn't even seem to be the correct size for the bed. The beds creaked every time someone moved in them. The air conditioner was in working order, but the old musty smell coming out of it made it unpleasant to use. There was no convenient place to plug in a phone charger so we had to crawl under the bed to find an outlet, at which time we saw carpet that looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks and found an empty soda can under the bed. The bathroom was dingy and the shower drain was very slow.

Lastly, as I was waiting to checkout, there was no line to check out but I still had to wait over 20 minutes because the woman at the front desk was talking to a maintenance worker. She didn't even acknowledge I was standing there and just kept up their conversation.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hyatt across the street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KarJ122
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like you to know that we take your concerns very seriously and I have addressed them with our management team. I know that this does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and have done something about it.

Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Ripped sheets, stained towels, stained carper, hair and dust on the lamp shade, tiny pillows, tiny/unstable beds, grout and wallpaper peeling off the walls in the tiny bathroom, dirty bathtub, bad remote, broken door...
We called 3 times in the evening for an extra pillow, no one answered. Walked past the front desk 3 times no one was there.
The ONLY thing that was good was when we called in the morning for help with our bags someone came right away and the valet had our car ready by the time we got to the lobby...normal or maybe just a good day? Hard to tell.
This place needs a MAJOR renovation.
Not worth the $ 218 we spent. Spend a little extra and stay at The Cincinnatian a couple blocks down the street..1000% better.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family