“Not what I was expecting”
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Cincinnatian Hotel
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this review and say I used to come to to the Cincinnatian for Christmas Day brunch - which was excellent. I'm not sure how the restaurant is now, but if it's even half as good as I remember you won't be disappointed.

So I recently stayed here with my girlfriend for an evening away by ourselves in the city. It's proximity to many great metro area pubs and restaurants as well as the riverfront and banks development (easy walking distance) made for a great convenience.

The staff was super attentive and friendly, from the valet to the check-in, everyone was great. I definitely didn't have any complaints here.

The room however was a little different. I've read other reviews where apparently they are doing renovations - some got updated rooms while myself and others had rooms that were dated - wallpaper that was starting to peel in areas, rooms with old fashioned keys for the door, peeling paint in the bathroom etc. Nothing so egregious as to warrant a complaint, but not nearly the kind of majesty i was expecting. The overall feeling was just old. Other than that, the bed was comfy (i have a bad back, so i am very picky).

Would I go back? Yeah, probably. But I'd ask for an updated room.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaximilianRockefellr
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We do appreciate guests feedback. I want to start by thanking you for your kind words regarding our staff. We strive to have top of the line service.
You are right in stating some rooms are newer then others and we hope that you do return so you can experience a renovated room. Please let me know the next time you are staying with us so we can remedy any negative opinions of the hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Jodie Fitzgerald
Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Service was excellent.

Room was very large but lacked natural light. It wasn't overly worn but it did appear quite dated (think brass and cornflower blue from the 80's). We got it on a travelzoo deal so could not complain for the price.

Mini bar prices were actually reasonable! Had drinks and snacks in the lounge - good. Room service for breakfast was also very good.

Loved the sink in the lobby bathroom!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a very comfortable room facing the inner courtyard. The valet staff was helpful with directions. It tooks us a bit to find at first as our directions took us to Vine but the entrance is on 6th. When we checked in we told them we had to leave shortly to make it back to UC for the Catwalk before the game and the valets were great and held our car on the street for us. Wish we had more time to try out the soaking tub but the shower was great.

Room Tip: When we came back on Saturday evening there was piano music in the courtyard until 11 pm. We enjoye...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here on a recent interview. It was a very classic style hotel. The entrance was unassuming and I wouldn't have known it was the hotel except my taxi driver told me that it was.

The lobby has an older style with classic embroidered sofas. There was a lounge in the lobby area that apparently has a good happy hour (wasn't able to check it out).

THe hotel gave real metal keys to their rooms which was quaint. They even had a real metal key for the mini bar. My room was on the 4th floor. It had a nice chaise lounge and I was told that all the rooms are slightly different.

My only complaint about the hotel was that the free wifi signal was pretty weak in my room and was barely usable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank fallingleaf21
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It is between the border of Ohio and Kentucky and close to the aquarium. Very good location to stay. In addition, there is a small park Piatt Park around. I have been traveling to here for 10h and it was really a good night

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My stay was compliment from HorseShoe Casino. My third time staying at this hotel. Compared to other hotels in town ,The Cincinnatian always has rooms available, so easy to book. The room I received this stay was shocking! I will never believe that any other Seven Star guest would receive the same room. Room was right next to the service area (restaurant,etc.) very loud, uncomfortable bed, could not sleep. Slipped in the bathroom , floor was soaked from leaky sink. Hurt my thumb catching myself from the fall. I only asked that they fix the leak. Don't know if they did or not. Asked for early check in: NO. Asked for room on floor with ice machine : NO. They were not able or just unwilling to accommodate me in any way. Disappointing because I actually like the Hotel, and it is often my only choice. Just not the Seven Stars treatment I am use to or receive from other hotels in town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank KN777
Leesburg, Ohio
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Beautiful historic hotel in downtown Cincinnati with all the modern conveniences of today. The staff is friendly and the hotel is very clean. We stayed in a junior suite (room 515) that I must say for a suite seemed pretty small; a bedroom and a large bathroom. The bathroom was absolutely wonderful with a heated whirlpool tub and awesome shower. The shower had a large rainfall shower head, 2 body shower bars, and a separate hand held shower; the shower was soooo powerful. This was absolutely the best shower I have ever experienced. The bathroom also included a flatscreen TV, a radio/cd player, and a telephone by the toilet. I must say they need to improve on their pillows; probably the worst pillows I have experienced in a hotel. They could take some lessons from some other prominent hotels and offer various types of pillows (e.g. soft, firm, feather, foam, etc.). Overall it is a great hotel. We have stayed here several times and will likely return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple