“Brutal night” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Brutal night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

It is how a hotel manages the problems that defines it's real character. Although this a beautiful hotel it is poorly managed. I spent the night here and got a room where the temperature was over 85 degrees and could not be adjusted. After sweating and not being able to sleep Mgmt came up two different times and could not change it. At 4:30 am they changed my room. That worked but not getting very much sleep. I went down tothe desk to check out and was told that they would be happy to discount this 300 room 30%. I told them this was unacceptable I expected a free night. After waiting for a while the front desk manager came back to me to inform me that Denise vandersall the general mgr would only allow this discount because they accommodate me at 4:30 am and the only issue with the room was I didn't adjust the thermostat. This was a very insulting experience and huge disappointment for such a nice place. It is not the real estate that makes a hotel special it is the people and how they deal with issues. This Mgmt team failed and did not my expectations at all. It's a great place to stay as long as you don't have any issues. In a economic time like this high end hotels need to exceed expectations not just meet them.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Bcloch
DanBrookbank, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2010
First, I would like to thank Mr. Cloch for acknowledging that the Cincinnatian is "a great place to stay," and leave the reader to decide perhaps if the extension of a 30% discount, and a complimentary upgrade was appropriate for the concerns Mr. Cloch expressed. I agree wholeheartedly, of course, that management is responsible for the both the quality and cleanliness of the rooms and establishment, about which Mr. Cloch kindly denotes as 5 stars in his review. I also agree that it is the way a manager responds to a given situation that truly demontrates and tests the resolve of an establishment's customer service priorities.

Nevertheless, I must take issue with Mr. Cloch as I did in previous correspondence between him and I that referencing what other properties would do when requesting that his room be comped is not the most effective way to address a complaint. Management knew full well that Mr. Cloch was going to post his disappointment on Tripadvisor. Nevertheless, calling in an air-conditioning problem in the middle of the night at 4am, when the only issue with the AC was that it was in Celsuius rather than Fahrenheit mode, and then demanding a free room, did not in our estimation warrant a free room. The hotel diligently responded to Mr. Cloch's concerns, changing his room, adjusting his rate by 30%, offering him Breakfast, and extending a complimentary upgrade for a future stay.

Rather it is because I take both Mr. Cloch's constructive praise and criticism so very seriously that I wished to provide full disclosure and be equally generous with Tripadvisor readers in making them privy not only to Mr. Cloch's concerns; but also to what I believe was a very reasonable response on the part of the General Manager. Thus, after reading both sets of remarks, the reader will be able to assess the issue in its entirety and decide whether or not some clemency is due to the management staff in the aftermath of this unfortunate incident.

Tripadvisor is perhaps the scariest word in a professional hoteliers language and it is very effective in doing what it does, namely, keeping an establishment on its toes lest they reap the consequences of a bad review. Nevertheless, although we realized that Mr. Cloch would take this step, a manager still has to draw the line somewhere reaching out to the guest in question not with a freebie as he wanted but with the offer of future assistance and a comprehensive explanation of why an action was taken. Mr. Cloch made the point very clear prior to the Tripadvisor posting that other hotels he's stayed at tend to comp his room when he expresses a problem. We stopped short of that but we did try to be fair. It is certainly a very tough tight rope to walk from time to time. Thank you Trivadviosr for permitting us to walk it with your readers and we thank your readers for taking the time to assess this situation fairly.

As for Mr. Clock, I still hope he chooses to return to our property and, as I've mentioned to him before, we "deeply regret" his negative impression and hope that somehow short of simply giving him a free room we could have amended his opinion of us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

Hotel is hard to find as entrance is on a different street than their address. I was driving there at night and there are no lit signs or even major signs. Several calls to concierge and no one could direct me as I drove up and down their street over and over again; finally found the place by chance after I made a wrong turn.

Once I got there, they had misplaced my pre-paid reservation. Staff then did upgrade me to a suite, which was nice of them, but the suite was dirty and very VERY dark. There were no overhead lights and the windows opened into their roofed atrium area, so there wasn't even any sunlight.

Parking charges were a rip-off and upon checking out, my company card was recharged (remember, I'd pre-paid) and it took three tries to get it fixed. The first time I called to complain, they said they'd credit me, then charged me a third time. When I called again, they did credit me, but only the third charge instead of the second as well. I then called a third time and they did fix it, bu insisted on refunding my card, which had been cancelled as my company no longer worked with that vendor, instead of issuing a check or even giving a credit for a future stay. This meant we never got the money back, but instead, have a balance sitting on card my company can't use because we cut it up upon cancellation. This part is not the hotel's fault, but had they gotten it right to begin with or even tried to be understanding about how they credited back, or acted more quickly (this took nearly three months to fix), this never would have happened.

Thank you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HereOnBiz
DanBrookbank, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2010
On behalf of the entire staff and Management of the Cincinnatian Hotel, I would like to thank this guest for posting their constructively worded criticism. Without question human error was apparently to blame on the multiple credits that were issued and I only regret that I didn't get to speak with this guest myself regarding their concerns for, if I had, I'm certain I would have been able to solve the credit-card issue to their satisfaction. The issuance of check or hotel credit,such as they suggested, rather than the credit refund itself is a great idea; and were I knowledgable of who exactly this guest was I might follow their lead. Certainly we would love to show this guest any number of other upgraded rooms which may be illuminated more to their liking.

The Cincinnatiann Hotel is one of the oldest hotels in the city and, as such, in order to preserve our historic integrity, we don't have a big neon sign marking the entrance. Many guests actually like the Private Residence feel of our establishment and very much appreicate its still understated 19th Century archictectural charm. However, having taken "Hereonbiz" and other such comments truly to heart, The Cincinnatian is proud to announce to the readers of this review the recent unveiling of our new Vine Street Awning denoting the presence of our 4-star Palace Restaurant and Bar. The name Palace is actually the original name of our Hotel when it was built in 1882. Upon changing the name to the Cincinnatian we affixed the original name of the hotel to our Restaurant. We hope this assists future guests in finding our establishment, which after all is located betwixt two larger skyscrapers, more easily. Certainly you may contact our Concierge/Front Office Directly at 381-3000 should you have any further issues. And, as usual, do not hesitate to contact me as well. Dan Brookbank.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed at the Cincinnatian Sept 10th for only one night. I wish we would have stayed longer. Honestly the hotel is a little pricey but not much more than it's local competition. Cincinnati is a business city so there are PLENTY of hotels but based on the reviews this was the top rated and honestly I agree.

We stayed in the Executive Queen suit which was WOW amazing. My husband and I were celebrating his birthday so I called ahead of time and spoke to the conciere a day before we arrived. She was AMAZING and ran all over town looking for Reds merch for my husband and had it all displayed so nice when we arrived. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, the location really isn't far from the ballpark we actually walked both ways but there is also a connecting bus stop just down the street. Plenty of cute restaurants and just around the corner from the town square where they had Octoberfest going on during our stay.
Wonderful experience. Would suggest to anyone, and love love LOVED that suit.
Heated floors in the bathroom, TV in the bathroom, radio in the bathroom etc. Bed was a cloud, the only issues we had was the fact that we're not used to sleeping in the city and the window shades didn't block out enough light in my opinion, (housekeeping should have checked drawers because we found a bullet in a drawer) and also phone didn't work just right, was giving me a lot of trouble.

But all in all 4 out of 5 stars.
Thanks Cincinnatian.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

I stayed at The Cincinnati for four weeks this summer, one week in late July, and then three consecutive weeks, including weekends, in August. If you're required to be away from home for such a long time, there is no better place to live than at The Cincinnatian. It is truly top-notch in accommodations and service.

The most important thing to know is that some rooms have been remodeled, some have not. The rooms that have been remodeled are amazing--clean, modern, beautiful. White, fluffy bed, flat screen tv, awesome modern bathroom (tile, jacuzzi, marble, etc). They probably cost a bit more but it's totally worth it.

The rooms that have not been remodeled are just ok. They are clean, tastefully decorated but a bit dated, floors are a little creaky, beds not as comfortable. I highly recommend upgrading to a remodeled room if you are looking for pampered luxury.

There are inside rooms and rooms that face outside. The inside rooms open into the center of the hotel, where the lobby is, so you can hear the jazz until 11 pm on the weekends. This is a good thing to some, not good to others. I stayed in a few different rooms and only heard people in the hallways a couple times (drunk wedding people on Saturday nights, mainly). I also travel with a white noise machine so that helps with noise concerns.

Service overall is really great here: professional, attentive, friendly. The front desk is super nice. The valets are quick and gentlemanly. Housekeeping comes twice a day, at least for the upgraded rooms, and they leave you a cookie with turndown service. Bartenders in the lounge are talkative if you want them to be but also leave you alone, while still checking on you occasionally, if you are just sitting down there while working. The kitchen is willing to make modifications to the menu to make you happy. I found the food overall to be very good, the only negative is that they tend to have a heavy hand with the salt so I got into the habit of asking for no salt, then seasoning myself. Tawanda (probably misspelled her name) and Juanita were my favorite room service employees, they were both so sweet. Overall, I think this hotel will genuinely be happy to do whatever it takes to ensure their guests are happy. Oh, and free wifi!

I highly recommend this hotel and would not stay anywhere else in Cincinnati.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
st paul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

I was intially excited when I got this hotel on priceline although it wasn't a great bargain

I was traveling with my son to see a Reds game so location was important ..upon check in they gave me room with one queen bed ... postage stamp size with no place to even put a suitcase ...the room smelled so strongly of air freshener I had to request another room .. tried to get a room with two beds but got the same same room that barely had a place for my son to sleep on the floor .. bathroom light was burnt out and shower handle barely worked ..

staff seemed fairly inflexible to needing a room with two beds ( my 26 year old son really didn't want to sleep with me :) ).. they said I could upgrade for an additional $90.. parking was pricey at $28 .. not a place I would return to or recommend

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank maxwell8
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We came to town to go to the Reds Games. The hotel is nice, check in was very fast. We stayed in a king room on the 5th floor. On Saturday night we were told it was sold out. It was a very quiet corner room, we never heard anyone in the hallways and never heard our neighbors. The room was clean. The robes and towels were showing a bit of wear, but were clean. Tub was nice. One mention, this hotel does not have pop machines. They are within walking distance of CVS/Walgreens. You are right around the corner from Fountain Square.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Booked on priceline. In town for reds baseball game. 15 min walk to stadium. Easy check in. Room was nice but not great. Air not working in our room it was 78 deg. Maintenance arrived quickly but was having trouble. I was burning up and he called front desk and they nicely moved us to a suite. Moved us from 3rd floor to 4th. Finally found ice on 6th. Noisey from street traffic. I'm writing this at bedtime. Bed not that comfortable. Old feeling mattress. Valet parking at $28/night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple