“So impressed, so happy this is here!!”

Women's Rights National Historical Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Women's Rights National Historical Park tells the story of the first Women's Rights Convention held in Seneca Falls, NY on July 19-20,1848.
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We were in this area for a work trip with my small children. I had no idea how close we were to Seneca Falls. I am such a women's history nerd that my heart jumped when I realized how close we were and decided to check it out. I was hoping for some sort of monument or plaque, but they have a really well-done national historical park honoring the entire women's movement. The rangers were so friendly and great with my kids - the young ranger badges were a hit! While the movie is a bit on the dates side, the message remains as important today as always. The upstairs is well done and interactive (great primary sources too!!) and I appreciated their work preserving the Wesleyan church where the convention was held and the Stanton house. Both are worth a visit. All in all, I was so impressed that the National Parks have preserved this story so well!

3  Thank Globeteach

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My mom and I were on a trip to the Finger Lakes area and stopped at the Women's Rights National Historical Park on the way back to our hotel from another location. By the time we arrived we were only able to see the museum and do the tour of the church next door (we didn't get to the other tour locations), but both were interesting and informative. We watched the video then went with a tour guide to the church next door. Our tour guide was excellent. The museum itself is on the small side, but very interesting and well laid out. We both learned a lot about some historical events we didn't know much about.

Note: We actually visited during the summer of 2013, but the drop down menu didn't give that choice.

2  Thank lkadlec
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Take a romantic walk along the river in the evening or early morn. Some of the artwork is impressive. Next to it the bridge that inspired It's a Wonderful Life.

1  Thank gjcooper7007
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a wonderful historical site to bring your family (especially your daughters!) to. My husband and I went and we had a great time! The museum is informative, although smaller than I would have liked, or that the historical value of the site deserves.

We toured the museum for about a half-hour (all you really need) and then took the guided tour through the Wesleyan Church and Elizabeth Cady Stanton's house. The town if very lovely if you wanted to stay longer and walk around. It has a lot of charm.

One thing: the tour and the tour guide were terrible. He did not really give much information at all. I could have learned more from reading a plaque on the side of a building. He did not even go into the backgrounds of the women involved, like the museum does. They need to invest in better tour guides and a slightly longer tour. You only had 20 minutes in the building and 20 minutes at the house. Also, the tour for Stanton's house was completely outside and then you just walked through an empty house for 5 minutes. Weird, and unhelpful.

Overall, visit this site because it is wonderful, but don't worry if you can't attend the guided tour.

2  Thank Abby G
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When we arrived at the visitor's center, we were informed we were just in time to see a video and that following the video there would be a ranger at the desk to lead a tour. The video was very informative and had a nice mix of the historical viewpoint and history being told through a woman's letters to her brother and the modern viewpoint being told by pairs of young girls and boys today. After the video, the guide led us to the church next door where the first women's rights convention was held. Our guide was great, very knowledgeable and friendly. My only criticism is that much of the information was the same as the video, so I wish we would have viewed the exhibits first, instead of watching the video. He then told us he was going to the Elizabeth Cady Stanton house for another tour, so we drove there; again it was interesting and informative. We did then have to drive back to the visitor's center to see the exhibits, which by this time did not interest us as much, as we were getting tired.

3  Thank Mary S