“Wonderful boutique hotel”
Review of The Gould Hotel

The Gould Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Seneca Falls
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We loved Hotel Clarence. The rooms were decorated beautifully. Simple, yet elegant and extremely clean. Great little getaway in a beautiful part of this country.

Reviewed 22 October 2010

Stayed on our anniversary and found the hotel to be swanky. The room was decorated cool and was quiet. It was not real big. The front desk was very friendly. We made reservations at the hotel restaurant and after we were seated we waited at least half an hour to get waited on. The whole time people were being served all around us. Weird experience, almost left. We even asked if we were going to be served and had to continue to wait. My husband is much more patient than me. I would have left. It has a good ending, because the food was delicious. Got to try the Concord Grape Pie!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
DawnSchulz, General Manager at The Gould Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

zcb1997,

Thank you for writing a review to Trip Advisor. I'm glad you loved the hotel, front desk service, and food. I'm so sorry for the service you received in our Four Star Restaurant - DiVine. I appreciate you letting me know, because it has prompted retraining with a focus on customer service. We have been getting rave reviews about our service now! Thank you, and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 October 2010

Spent the Columbus Day holiday at the Hotel Clarence to do some hiking and check out the wineries of the fingerlakes. Although this place has tons of potential, it fails in many respects.

The good: Love the theme, decor, and layout of this hotel. A million cable channels, which is great because once you're done outdoors and have already hit the bars, you will make use of the TV! Walking distance to shops, restaurants, pubs. Free parking. Great complimentary toiletries and stunning bathroom.

The bad: Room was excessively warm, could not adjust thermostat properly, found what appeared to be a dead roach in 2nd floor stairwell, one bath towel was stained. We were not allowed to check-in early even though our room was not occupied the night before. No big deal. Minimal water pressure in shower.

The ugly: To say that the staff was unhelpful would be a severe understatement. Nobody knew what was going on at any time during our stay. The P.M. clerk at the front desk "didn't know" of any nearby restaurants, nor did she attempt to find one for us. She was busy reading a book. Fortunately there was a brochure in the lobby. The A.M. clerk on the other hand, told us that the bar would be open all day on Sunday. At least he thought. Well, actually he wasn't really sure. No big deal. Went to the bar, found a half-drank bloody mary on the spill mat. Assumed bar was open. Not so--a wandering chef from the restaurant told me the bar would open at 4pm, but he could find a server to pour us drinks while we waited to check in. No one ever returned. Later, we ended up walking around town, finding a great Chinese place (Happy Family) and had cocktails at a nearby sport's bar (Bull's Run), where we also had snacks. Both had great hospitality and food, incidentally. When we returned to the hotel bar for a nightcap, we were shrilly warned that the bar would be closing at 10pm sharp, even though there were still 8 people drinking, and that "she didn't care if [we] stayed" but we would only be served one drink. As we sat at the bar drinking our $12 cocktails, we saw her coldly refuse to serve another couple that had come in a few minutes after 10. They looked very disappointed.
In sum, astoundingly poor hospitality, given the price point and potential for this establishment. But, I would still recommend it due to its proximity to wineries and nature trails, and if you can get a good rate, it is one of the cleaner/nicer places in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor and to let me know about your good and bad experiences at The Hotel Clarence. Your review helped me pin-point a couple of staff members that needed additional training. Since working with them, we've been getting consistently excellent comments through both our hotel comment cards and trip advisor about our cleanliness and service.

I'm glad you'd still recommend the hotel and I look forward to hearing about your experience during your next stay ... I guarantee you'll LOVE it all!

Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I booked a room at the Hotel Clarence to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The woman who checked us in was huffy and unpleasant, I tried very hard to be understanding and listen to her complain about how hard her job was and what she had for lunch.

Our room was just lovely! We had asked for a refrigerator when making reservations but it was not in our room when we arrived. After letting the huffy receptionist know, one was delivered promptly by a courteous employee. They need to include a binder or something that lists local attractions, their dining room hours, maybe their menus.

That evening we enjoyed out dinner at the in-house restaurant. We ordered that cheese platter (a great deal at $7, plenty for two) and some drinks, letting out waitress know that we were in NO hurry. We were given about 5 minutes to enjoy the cheese platter (which was sinfully delicious!) before a different waitress brought out our meals asking, "oh, did you still want to eat that?" ummm, yes. She said okkkkk....and found a way to load our table up with entirely too big dinner plates. While the food was wonderful, we felt rushed in a half full dining room. Prices were reasonable.

We also had breakfast one morning, great meal although pricey for eggs and french toast. The house made sausage was perfect. While my husband and I were sipping our beverages before our meals arrived, our wedding song started playing. Coincidence but wow, it made my day!

When making a reservation, I would recommend requesting a room the views that parking lot. While the view of the canal is pretty, the traffic is SO incredibly LOUD! The trash trucks run through the main streets and it can be deafening.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing about your stay with us to Trip Advisor. According to the reviews, it seems like we had one week where my service staff was not on their game. In Nov., I focused on re-training and cusotmer service, and will continue with refreshers each month. We have been getting rave reviews about our service now.

We also added have in-room directories thanks to your suggestions!

Thank you again , I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Having grown up in Seneca Falls, NY, I travel back each year to see friends and visit nearby relatives. This year I chose to stay at the Hotel Clarence for four nights.Thankfully, this "old" hotel has been saved, remodeled and renamed. Named for the angel made famous in the classic film IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, Seneca Falls claims to be the Bedford Falls portrayed in the movie--and the movie runs continuously in the lobby and the look-alike bridge that George Bailey almost jumped off is just down the hill. The super clean rooms could be labeled a bit austere, but the bed and linens are wonderful.

Parking is great, and you can easily walk anywhere in town to check out all the sites connected with women's rights, including the Women's Rights National Historical Park. The lake just a few miles away is a great way to cool off on a hot day, and the many wineries provide another fun attraction. The Finger Lakes are a hidden treasure, and Seneca Falls a great spot to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2010

A nice boutique hotel with a Euro-feel which would be even better with some improved service. As an example, when I called to make a reservation the clerk told me that she was busy and would have to call me back - that took two hours to happen. Normally that type of service would cause me to take my business elsewhere but Seneca Falls doesn't offer too many lodging choices. Upon arrival we were pleased to find a clean and tastefully decorated room. The beds were quite comfortable and the bathroom was exceptionally clean and bright. The IPOD Dock and flat-screen television were nice touches which I did not expect to find.
The adjoining restaurant, Divine Kitchen and Bar, had a decent selection but, despite being one-quarter empty, was severely back-logged understaffed. Our waitress was genuinely apologetic about the slow service and we could see that it was not her fault. Complimentary glasses of wine were sent to our table as an apology for the wait which we found to be a classy touch. Once we were served the food was very good; the black olive and herb gnocchi was top-notch, and the desserts were even better.
Although the room rates were a little steep for the area I would return for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

This hotel has been beautifully renovated, and while the rooms are not huge or luxurious, they are stylish and pleasant. Don't expect much of a view, but do look for an ultra-modern bathroom and chic design throughout. The bar and restaurant are both excellent, and the restaurant was able to simplify a dish to suit our super-picky 9 year old. Prices were reasonable; staff was pleasant enough, though not exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls
Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes

Been to The Gould Hotel? Share your experiences!