Sawing Logzz
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Caribou Hotel(Glennallen)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbed and breakfastb brabbitssuiteroomy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I booked the separate modular unit/trailer for myself and a graduate student for a week in August. It has two bedrooms and two bath and so gave us each privacy and the facilities were very good. Several breakfast food items provided. Nice to have a space in which to relax at the end of the day other than a hotel room and it provided an excellent convenient location for traveling in the Copper River Basin. Dining table provided good workspace. I had stayed in the room in the main house last year and enjoyed that as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My sister and I spent two weeks in Alaska this summer and stayed at six different places. All were nice--but this place was easily the best. We really appreciated that, more than a cabin without separate bedrooms, this place has two separate bedrooms down a hall from each other and with a full bathroom in between. (This was especially great because my sister had a bad cold at the time that she didn't want to share with me, but we would have appreciated it anyway.) Also, the Wifi was by far the best of anywhere we stayed; in some places we couldn't get the Internet at all, but here it was lightning-fast. This is related to the fact that this apartment is private but in the same house where the owners live--which was great not only because Gary and/or Luann were always right there if we had any question or need, but also because they're very nice and interesting people who know a great deal about the area and are just good to talk to. We got some good tips about McCarthy before we journeyed down the long gravel road into fabulous Wrangell / St. Elias National Park to stay in the unique town of McCarthy. The facilities in the apartment were perfect for us: I got up early in the bedroom with the neat coffee-maker and ample breakfast offerings (including even muffins in the fridge!), while my sister slept on longer in the quiet of the other bedroom down the hall. We liked this place so much that we stayed there twice--both before and after our five days out in Wrangell / St. Elias.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WrangellStElias
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First, the owners are really nice people. Location is OK, but you do have to endure a couple tenths of a mile of potholes on the gravel road. Everything is clean, kitchinette has nice waffle maker and Kuerig coffemaker. I have a few problems though. The bedroom is very small. The sheets on the bed were rough and looked extremely dated. There should be an alarm clock but there is any. The couch (fouton )? and TV were probably 10-15 years old. Here is the exclamation point, milk they had in the refrigerator for cereal was spoilt. I believe I am more than generous in the rating I gave.

• Stayed: August 2013
lkmi, Owner at Sawing Logzz, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Hello, I am writing in response to this review. Our web-site is Sawing Logzz.com and you may go there to see our rooms set up. We do have a private suite , it is two rooms and a bathroom in the middle of the living , kitchen and bedroom area. Our Flat screen TV is in plain view in the living area and the log bed in the bedroom is a queen size , as the bed is very large it does make the bedroom seem smaller but there is still room for a lounger chair and we have a reading library set up as well . This suite does sleep 4 adults ,as always we are hear to serve you , so let us know what your needs are and we will do our best to meet them. Thanks for your thoughts and it is always good to tidy up where we need to. Sincerely , Luann Mullen

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Sawing Logzz is a bed and breakfast a few miles north of Copper Center, Alaska, on the old Richardson highway. The owner lives upstairs and the room available is downstairs. The building is a very nice, modern, two story log cabin style building. The room available downstairs has a kitchen/sitting room, a full bathroom, and a bedroom with a double or queen bed (I don't remember). The location is extremely quiet being far from most everything. Even highway noise is gone.

The bed was fine. The sofa in the sitting area converts into a bed quickly which could sleep two, so the rooms could accommodate up to four people though three might be more comfortable. The rooms were clean enough and had a feeling of home and not a major roadside motel chain. It was nice. There was a television in the sitting area.

While it is a B&B, breakfast is own your own. The hostess pre-stocks the refrigerator with waffle mix, bagels, cream cheese, butter, jelly, orange juice, and milk. There are cold cereals to choose from as well as instant oatmeal available and a range of hot drinks. You do have to turn on the waffle maker if you wish to have that. This was really a perfect arrangement for us since we needed to leave quite early to get down to Valdez for a boat tour. This way we didn't have to disturb the hostess so early. The hostess says you don't have to clean up after breakfast, but you may want to out of common courtesy.

The one downside, and it is really not a reflection on Sawing Logzz, were all the mosquitoes which congregated at the entrance door. There must have been upwards of 100 concentrated there, and inevitably quite a few would follow you in no matter how careful you tried to be. We were able to exterminate them before retiring for the night, but it is a problem. Again, no real reflection on Sawing Logzz, just Alaska.

I am sure there are other nice places to say around Copper Center, but aside from the rather expensive Princess Wilderness Lodge, I could not find any. I was very pleased I found this B&B. It served our needs very well.

Room Tip: Only one room. It is not handicap accessible unless you can do about six steps and turn a corner.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here while fishing the Copper River. The hosts greeted us and were very nice. The suite was very clean and had everything we needed (plus a waffle maker!). We had a great night's sleep on a very comfortable and large bed, and enjoyed all of the breakfast treats that were in the mini-kitchen. This was perfect for people like us who wanted to come and go on our own schedule, and not have to sit around and wait for others for breakfast and what not.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple