“If you can only do one strenuous trail, this is a great one.”

Lower Yellowstone River Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular waterfall located in Canyon Country.
Reviewed 23 February 2013

In July 2012, mom, dad, and 12-year-old walked down "The Brink of the Lower Falls," and we just loved it. (MIL and 7-year-old waited at the top for us.) From start to finish, it took us about 45 minutes with short stops and some time spent at the bottom. It was a very steep hike down and, obviously, coming back up involved some work, but it was so worth it. We seen a lot of people huffing and puffing their way back up, but if you bring water and stop for short breaks along the path, it is not too bad at all. I would recommend not trying to go down this with a stroller. We seen some doing this, and they usually just ended up with broken wheels and just carrying the stroller too. My husband and son did better than I did, and I actually sent them on ahead of me so I could rest a few times. (I have a sedentary job and this was an eye opener for me on how deconditioned I am - LOL).

The power of the falls rolling over the edge was amazing and beautiful. The view was breathtaking. You are directly next to the falls and can feel the water splashing up onto you and hear the roar of the water tumbling around and down. (I am going to try to post a few videos, but although the pics and videos are a great reminder of our time here, they do not do the area justice.)

We wanted to be here in the morning to see the rainbow but did not make it in time. However, there was still the rainbow here late morning/early afternoon. Yay!

You could still see some snow piles down in the canyon and could see the steps to Uncle Tom's trail across the way. There are really no words to describe it.

Again, the canyons were my favorite place, and this was my favorite in that area.

2  Thank Shawni_and_Buck
Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"roar"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I am glad we went to this site in winter. Very few tourists and ample time to view the falls and take photographs. Wonderful contrast of white snow, dark rocks and the waterfall splitting the valley below. A must in winter.

1  Thank Eaa1947
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Nice trail to ski along in the winter. Its so still and calm, like a winter wonderland. And the falls are frozen so it feels like another world. Very beautiful!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

These falls are really nice with many viewpoints that are all pretty easy to get to. The canyon area is a highlight of the park and these falls are the reason why. Take a lot of pictures, you will want to remember this.

1  Thank uncle_stu66