“A pleasant surprise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at cabins in the national parks before and usually they are on the small side. The cabin (701) at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge was a good sized room. There were two double beds, the sink is separate from the bath and toilet which was great for my son, husband and I (hard to get ready when they are in the bathroom). There were plenty of space for luggage and sitting. Driving to the lodge and cabins were complicated from the Old faithful lodge but the walk was easy through the buildings. I could walk to see old faithful erupt with no problem. There is no TV or phone but there was coffee.

Room Tip: The Park rooms are almost always gobbled up by tour groups, reserve early up to a year or more, keep...
Green Features: The hotel and the park make it easy for patrons to recycle with receptacles everywhere, even in your rooms. Everyone together doing their share makes a difference.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HonoluluLocalgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I were on the Total Yellowstone Package, 5 nights for about $2500, included:
Five nights lodging (3 at Old Faithful Snow Lodge, one at Canyon Lodge, and one at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel)
Meals
One welcome gift per adult
In-park transportation
A scenicruise on Yellowstone Lake
A stagecoach ride
A photo memento CD
Baggage handling
This was just what I wanted and it was great. I know Yellowstone park, it's history, and all it's activities. Our guides Karon and Greg were fantastic, the 40 year old bus provided a special touch, our 34 other travelers were great, te food was mediocre (eat the bison when offered, it's fresh, and the rhubarb/ strawberry gazpacho at the Lake Lodge). I consider our trip a bargain, I highly recommend the package.....BUT!

Here's the BUT: We arrived at 1:00 PM, were told that our room would be ready a 3:00 "go and enjoy your afternoon." We did, and arrived back at 4:00PM. "You're rooms not ready" I sat in the lobby and watched two tour buses arrive and 60 rooms handed out.

I paid a premium for my vacation, I'd guess I paid 40% more for my room then the tours. The clock approached 5:00PM. I informed the desk clerk of my frustration, I spoke loud, a young woman, I assume the Desk Manager, went to a computer and handed me a key in less then a minute.

This was no way to treat a guest that bought your premium package.
The Total Yellowstone Package is great, management needs a heads-up.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kerry G
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you are in to geo-thermals this is the place for you to base yourself. Snow cabins large and comfortable with plenty of space to store things. Good location. Food in the Snow Lodge the best of the 3 Xantera locations we stayed in. Great service too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve B
Gaffney, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent two nights in the Snow Lodge cabins. Very nice room and walking distance to everything in the Old Faithful area. (Next time I will ask for a cabin on the outside row closest to the road. We brought a game camera with us and were hoping to catch some wildlife during the night.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lewanddonna
Plainfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Frontier cabins in Yellowstone indicate that you have your own bath/shower. These also had a coffee pot. They are in the process of roofing and renovating many of the cabins,so a review of the worn out state would be moot. This area is quiet,but next to the hub-bub surrounding Old Faithful and other Upper Geyser attractions. Probably the biggest challenge was the poor road signage directing you to the Old Faithful Snow Lodge vs the Old Faithful Lodge. Maybe I'm the only one that had issues,but I doubt it! The Xanterra staff was their usual friendly and efficient selves.

Room Tip: Can't usually choose.
Green Features: Individual containers in the rooms and area provide ample opportunities for recycling.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david o
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed 4 nights in a Snow lodge cabin; it was OK, but we would have appreciated a fridge. Room was clean enough, everything was about average motel standard. Heater worked really well in the cabin but inadequate in the bathroom. Being at Old Faithful is of course a huge plus, but really I think Xanterra take the mick a little with the rates they charge - they could do with a little competition. And don't start me on the service in the restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mindyournose
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Snow Lodge for 2 nights in June. Booked just 3 wks in advance - so check back in case people cancel. It happens!

The Old Faithful Snow Lodge was more comfortable than I thought based on reviews. No TV of course but otherwise the room and lodge was very well appointed.

Walter was a concierge that helped us after check-in and he went above and beyond to answer questions about Yellowstone, help us finalize our itinerary there, and he gave us an orientation of all the nearby options for eating, drinking, and sightseeing. Very welcoming way to start our experience at the park.

Plenty of space for family of 3 or 4. We were on top floor, end room, 3055 and I didn't hear a peep from any other guest.

Great location to explore old faithful area but we ended up spending most of our time driving to explore the northern part of the park. Would stay more central next time - maybe in Canyon.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank mab45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#4 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!