“Great location, nice hotel”

and 1 more site!
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
GreenLeadersGold level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Great location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed in several different national park lodges in several different parks and the Snow Lodge was pretty much typical. The room was relatively large, very clean and quiet. Everything worked. The Lodge is about a 5 min walk from the Old Faithful Geyser and the trail head for the other thermal features in the area. It was also only a short walk to the general store, restaurants, and the gas station. Most of the parking was across the street from the Lodge in a very large lot but this wasn't much of a problem except in the middle of the afternoon when there was a lot of traffic in the area. The Old Faithful Visitor Center was also just across the street and this is a must see since you can access the park rangers and get a lot of helpful information about the park and general and various hikes in specific. We would definitely stay at the Snow Lodge if we visit the area again. The only less than satisfactory experience at the Snow Lodge was a fast food dinner we had at the Geyser Grille in the Lodge. The food wasn't very good. We will give them the benefit of the doubt that they were having a bad day but we didn't consider eating there a second time.

1 Thank Alan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The location is amazing couldnt fault it, the main buidling is stunning and food was out of this world, but as for the rooms well worst I have stayed in. We were on the lowest floor so very little light, couldnt sleep at all for all the noise down the corridor, kids running up and down and people singing in the room next door, walls are like paper!! Although it was a wonderful experience to say that I have stayed here I would never stay again and would not reccomened it at all!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Appaloca
Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at cabins in the national parks before and usually they are on the small side. The cabin (701) at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge was a good sized room. There were two double beds, the sink is separate from the bath and toilet which was great for my son, husband and I (hard to get ready when they are in the bathroom). There were plenty of space for luggage and sitting. Driving to the lodge and cabins were complicated from the Old faithful lodge but the walk was easy through the buildings. I could walk to see old faithful erupt with no problem. There is no TV or phone but there was coffee.

Room Tip: The Park rooms are almost always gobbled up by tour groups, reserve early up to a year or more, keep...
Green Features: The hotel and the park make it easy for patrons to recycle with receptacles everywhere, even in your rooms. Everyone together doing their share makes a difference.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HonoluluLocalgirl
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I were on the Total Yellowstone Package, 5 nights for about $2500, included:
Five nights lodging (3 at Old Faithful Snow Lodge, one at Canyon Lodge, and one at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel)
Meals
One welcome gift per adult
In-park transportation
A scenicruise on Yellowstone Lake
A stagecoach ride
A photo memento CD
Baggage handling
This was just what I wanted and it was great. I know Yellowstone park, it's history, and all it's activities. Our guides Karon and Greg were fantastic, the 40 year old bus provided a special touch, our 34 other travelers were great, te food was mediocre (eat the bison when offered, it's fresh, and the rhubarb/ strawberry gazpacho at the Lake Lodge). I consider our trip a bargain, I highly recommend the package.....BUT!

Here's the BUT: We arrived at 1:00 PM, were told that our room would be ready a 3:00 "go and enjoy your afternoon." We did, and arrived back at 4:00PM. "You're rooms not ready" I sat in the lobby and watched two tour buses arrive and 60 rooms handed out.

I paid a premium for my vacation, I'd guess I paid 40% more for my room then the tours. The clock approached 5:00PM. I informed the desk clerk of my frustration, I spoke loud, a young woman, I assume the Desk Manager, went to a computer and handed me a key in less then a minute.

This was no way to treat a guest that bought your premium package.
The Total Yellowstone Package is great, management needs a heads-up.

5 Thank Kerry G
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you are in to geo-thermals this is the place for you to base yourself. Snow cabins large and comfortable with plenty of space to store things. Good location. Food in the Snow Lodge the best of the 3 Xantera locations we stayed in. Great service too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve B
Gaffney, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent two nights in the Snow Lodge cabins. Very nice room and walking distance to everything in the Old Faithful area. (Next time I will ask for a cabin on the outside row closest to the road. We brought a game camera with us and were hoping to catch some wildlife during the night.)

1 Thank lewanddonna
Plainfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Frontier cabins in Yellowstone indicate that you have your own bath/shower. These also had a coffee pot. They are in the process of roofing and renovating many of the cabins,so a review of the worn out state would be moot. This area is quiet,but next to the hub-bub surrounding Old Faithful and other Upper Geyser attractions. Probably the biggest challenge was the poor road signage directing you to the Old Faithful Snow Lodge vs the Old Faithful Lodge. Maybe I'm the only one that had issues,but I doubt it! The Xanterra staff was their usual friendly and efficient selves.

Room Tip: Can't usually choose.
Green Features: Individual containers in the rooms and area provide ample opportunities for recycling.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#4 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
#3 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!