“Parking-lot camping with a short drive to a beautiful lake” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bridge Bay Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Bridge Bay Campground
Abilene, Texas
“Parking-lot camping with a short drive to a beautiful lake”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We camped for 4 nights in mid-June. We had a pop-up camper, so we couldn't do a tent-only loop. We were assigned site A10 upon arrival, I think it was (A loop). We got to camp (literally) about 2 feet away from the RV monster next to us. 2 tiny trees on our site. No privacy, and no real view. If Xanterra would let you choose your site, my review would certainly increase. Some sites aren't so bad, but nothing around us was nice. Was I supposed to whine about our site and beg for another one? I didn't try. Wish I had known what to do. My wife used to love Yellowstone, but this soured her on it big-time. It didn't help that we froze to death our last night (low of 27 and windy!) Bathroom was okay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pennypincherTX

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Ok we stayed here last year and I wrote a great review. This year not the same experience. When I checked in the person checking me in was rude to start. He acted fine with the other ones in front of me but then I also noticed that the other people were older in age so maybe they did not like that we were younger. When I requested our same spot as last year, explained that they did not have that area open and that they were putting all campers in the open area in the front. When I asked how long they knew they were going to do that they could not answered. I then asked why didn't they notify us that we couldn't be in the same spot so I could have made other camping arrangements and they stated that was to hard to call everyone that makes reservations. We then got our spot......and I should have guessed it, but we got the spot right across from the registration window. It was so loud. You could hear every car drive by and the view sucked watching people drive in and out of the camp. They don't care about you, you are nothing but a $ sign to them. The place is so popular that they don't have to worry about their customer service. It's sad. If this would have been my first trip I would have never gone back nor would I tell my friends to go here. Pick another campground if you can.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheChad6266

Travellers are raving about these Yellowstone National Park hotels

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I read a lot of mixed reviews and was quite worried after booking. We got a great site (if you are tenting ask for one of the tent only loops). Our site was quiet and overlooked the water. We could hear cars go by but it wasn't at all that loud. Our site was very large, close to washroom. If you are camping in June dress warmly!! It got VERY COLD at night!
The volunteer site police come through regularly, and if you leave your site for 2 mins to go to the washroom and the fire is going even slightly or your cooler is out, they lecture you. (and believe me I literally left for two minutes)
Overall enjoyed and would camp here again. Bring your own wood- it's pricey if you buy it there.

Room Tip: Campers ask for a treed site on a tenters only loop for the best sites.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zoodles23
Bozeman, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

As an individual who has camped in NH, but never this far west, camping at Bridge Bay Campground over Father's Day weekend 2013 was my first "western camping excursion". Upon entering the park at 6am, I saw that this was the only campground left in the park with vacancy, so I immediately traveled from the West Entrance straight to Bridge Bay Campground. I found the campground very easily and was pleased to find vacancy for the night (camping in Yellowstone can be very difficult due to the limited number of tent sites - - especially over a holiday weekend!).

The campground is massive! It has many different loops and I was lucky to get a site in loop G which is high up in the campground and more rural than some of the alphabetically earlier loops. The tent sites are rather small, but it was okay as it was just me camping in a compact one person tent.

There was an amphitheater with evening programs, an area to purchase tickets for a scenic cruise of Yellowstone Lake, and a country store right on the campground property. I would highly recommend staying at this campground. It is a great place and certainly lots of fun!

Enjoy folks :)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher loop like F or G. Loop A and B are wide open - - no privacy whatsoever!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Marci C
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is not a park run campground. In terms of campgrounds, it does it job. However, the campsites are close together. If you are a tent camper, you will hear everything your neighbors are saying and all the car doors slamming. Bring ear plugs. Also, quiet hours start at 10pm. There were RV campers who were playing music through speakers after dark, which made it hard to fall asleep. The bathrooms are decent with flush toilets and cold running water. They have a dish washing station as well, which is nice for tent campers. Every campsite is equipped with a table and fire pit. I would not stay there again. I am sure it is nice for those who are in RVs or campers.

It is in a great location for exploring the east side of the park, which was my favorite section. It is close to Hayden Valley, where wolves can be spotted.

I would like to see tent campers and RVs/Campers separated to avoid the loud noises of cars, heaters, and water tank pumps operating during the night.

Room Tip: Check out a map of the campground to help you make a decision.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank angelatravels11
Provo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The Bridge Bay Campground is perfect for a stay in Yellowstone. We especially love the upper loops as they are in the trees and are ideal for sitting back and relaxing in the outdoors. The nightly programs during the summer months are a lot of fun for the whole family. We like this campground because it's fairly central to the park. You are pretty much 20-30 minutes away from Old Faithful, Grand Canyon, West Thumb, Norris Geyser Basin, Tower, while only being 10 minutes away from Hayden Valley and Fishing Bridge. I would recommend booking a campsite 6 months in advance as they tend to fill up quickly.

Room Tip: Request an upper loop if possible and reserve your 4-6 months in advance.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Mea37
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We booked a campground on Loop F facing the auditorium for five nights. The campground had space for a medium sized (4 man) tent. The area had a paved parking space for our car, a shared bear locker, picnic table and fire pit. Loop E and F are both very well appointed and are close to Yellowstone Lake. The restrooms were always clean and had toilet paper. The camp staff were very helpful and nice. They told us about the nightly shows they had at the auditorium and gave us information on nearby things to do. This campsite is surrounded by Yellowstone Lake and is very peaceful. There is a nearby store at the Yellowstone Lake's boat dock that has basic necessities. The front office sells fire wood.

We took showers at the nearby Fishing Bridge camp ground. The showers were not timed and there was not much of a wait the afternoon we went.

I will say that the front loops A-D was basically a parking lot and they are very close to each other. Loops A-D have mixed RV and tent camping sites. I would not have stayed in sites and would recommend that you find other arrangements if these are the only options available to you.

Yellowstone is very spread out and this camp ground is not close to many of the restaurants, ice cream, or other amenities that you would find near mammoth hot springs and old faithful. If you are looking for a remote area than this is for you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family