“Great Location, Adequate room”
Review of Dunraven Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If, like us, you want to get up early to maximise your chances of seeing wildlife, better to stay within the park. Hayden Valley is just down the road, Lamar Valley a 30 minute drive. Also Canyon of Yellowstone with its amazing gorge and waterfalls is tight on the doorstep.

You check-in in the main complex where there are also shops restaurant and information centre. The lodge is about a quarter of a mile away with adequate parking although to get there you drive past a construction site which only seems to work daytime, so not an issue.

When we arrived our twin bed room was clean and comfortable. No cooking facilities and no TV. The room on the top floor had a view of ... trees, but we were only here to sleep! Appreciated the ice machine on floor three.

We stayed three nights and on the second and third nights noted that the room had not been as well cleaned as on our arrival, nothing terrible but we expect better,

The room falls between the basic cabin in the woods (enjoyable in its own way) and a good quality hotel / motel which is why I say "adequate" rather than good.

Room Tip: Book well in advance, don't expect too much and you might be pleased.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank paul6111

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our expectation was this would be a bit "motel-ish" so we really went into the Dunraven with lower expectations that we had for the other lodging choices we made for our family vacation. The building itself is quite nice and looks very inviting, but the room we were given #416, was very small for 2 adults and a 15-year-old. Two full-size beds with cheap mattresses don't make for a good sleep. The advantage was we were up VERY early and able to get out of the room by sunrise to beat a lot of the crowds and see the wildlife waking up!

The location of all lodging around Canyon makes it very attractive for visiting the upper loop of the park, but really focusing on the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. We really enjoyed this location. There is a great deal of construction around Dunraven making it a bit unsightly driving back to the lodge and even the parking lot had parts blocked for construction. While we were there, it seems that two bison enjoyed the area, as well, as they were consistently outside of the buildings.

Overall, this is probably one of your best bets for this part of the park, but it doesn't even come close to comparing to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel or the Old Faithful Inn - of which the latter isn't that much different in price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank FREEquentFlyer66
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Recently spent three nights at Dunraven Lodge in Canyon Lodge complex. While the property is average even by National Park standards, the location is ideal and, in my opinion, its best feature. Dunraven Lodge is very close to both Hayden Valley and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone (which was a highlight for me), and only a 45 minute drive to Lamar Valley, where most animal sightings occur.
The room itself was quite small with double beds being the largest option available. It was always very clean and did have a Keurig coffee maker. Others have commented about the lack of cell/internet service, but my husband and I both have AT&T and did have cell service from our room in Dunraven; internet was a bit slower than normal, but did work. (However, my Verizon iPad could not get any service.)
Overall, if staying in Yellowstone, I would recommend staying at Dunraven for the location. Ask for a room facing the woods, if possible.

19  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Dunraven looks like it has been recently modernized. So, the rooms are cute and are a nice size. The table in the room was the location for family game night.

The staff was nice and accommodating. I asked for a room change(original room near elevator, vending area and ice machine) and they changed it without a problem. Try to get a room facing the woods.

You are a short walk from the Visitor Center and a couple of restuarants. We ate at the cafeteria and the Fountain and Grill. Both were fine. Not overly expensive and the food was fine. The ice cream at the General Store was a hit with my girls.

The location is what you are getting here. The canyon is closed to wildlife, wildflowers, upper falls, lower falls, artist point and the canyon. Also, you are not far from the other parts of the park.

The Visitor center has an exhibit on geothermal activity in the park. This exhibit was a lot of fun and hands on for the kids.

There is construction going on. Honestly, it did not bother us. They start and end at a reasonable time. And there was no construction on the weekend.

My only concern would be the housekeeping. It is done by young kids and it is not very thorough. It seemed like the room was vacuumed before we came. But not during our stay.

The bathroom floor looked like it could be cleaned better. I am sure if I had said something it would have been addressed. Honestly, I did not have the time to voice my concern.

It probably did not help that I had stayed at Luten's Teton Cabins where the cleaning was extremely thorough(linens changed everyday).

Room Tip: Central location is critical in Yellowstone. Canyon is the best location. You are 40 minutes from...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank sbrogers725
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wow! I think because we stayed in cabins in Glacier National Park, my husband and I were expecting our accommodations at Yellowstone to be rustic and outdated. Nothing could be further from the truth! Our room at Dunraven Lodge was modern and clean! The shower was nice and large, the beds were comfortable, and we had a Keurig coffee machine in our room! Hooray! Our view out the window was woods so we had that in the wilderness feel even in our very much in the midst of people hotel.

The room attendants were awesome! I had a good time leaving them little notes. It started when I asked for more K-Cups of coffee because they had given us a lot of tea and we needed caffeine! They gave us caffeinated coffee K-Cups and then we had fun exchanging little drawings back and forth. It is cool when you realize that the people working at the park are often from all over the country, and sometimes they are experiencing Yellowstone for the first time too.

I spoke to a lady at the front desk, and she said people complain that there is no TV or cell service. I really think this is a benefit, not a negative! You can usually flip on TV any old place you go, but you're at Yellowstone! Where else can you see bears, antelopes, moose, wolves, bison and elk? And huge geysers and beautiful, colorful springs? When we were there, it stayed light outside until around 10 PM! So there was plenty to do and see and never miss the TV!

Room Tip: I liked our room with a view of the woods, not the parking lot. There is an elevator in the Lodge, b...
6  Thank Kimkokomo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

we wanted to stay in the cabins but couldnt get 6 nights so we stayed at Dunraven the first night. It was very nice and if we return I think we will just stay here the whole time. Its like a nice motel in the middle of the park where the cabins are the same price and more rustic and not as conveniently located.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank valleygirl20
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here in 2012 and added six more nights in May/June 2014. Dunraven offers one of the best lodging choices for two reasons: nicest rooms and most central location for park exploration! The condition is still like new with a great bathroom,coffee maker,table and 2 chairs and a bright and well maintained rooms. As usual, the staff is cheerful,efficient and accommodating. It's location is by far the single best for reaching destinations in the various areas of the park. A novice looks at a map and figures that no place is that far from any other. Mileage wise,that may be true,but realistically,traffic,bison crossing and animal sightings can make for a long "commute." Laundry can be done a few minutes away and you have a few choices for dining with a walk or 3 minute drive. I have stayed in six different lodgings in the last two years,from two to seven nights each, and any future trips will be at Canyon Lodge.

Room Tip: Usually no choice.
5  Thank david o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North

Been to Dunraven Lodge? Share your experiences!