“Good enough....”

GreenLeadersGold level
key west
“Good enough....”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

For nearly $200 a night, I was not impressed, but with the size of Yellowstone National Park, you should stay in the park because it is not a one day kind of place. The beds were comfortable and the shower was hot. We stayed in a cabin, not the hotel itself. I will say that the lobby was fabulous. It was a great place to relax and have a drink while listening to piano or orchestra... both live. The lobby had so much character and charm, I felt like I was in another time period completely. For this, I would stay again, the location was nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed in the annex for 4 nights while day hiking in Yellowstone. I was able to reach all areas in the park from here and be back at night. The annex looks like it was last decorated in the 1980's with some updates, but is clean and the bathroom was updated as well. Perfect if you're just looking for a place to sleep at night. Typical for a structure built in 1928, the walls are thin, but you don't have to deal with loud tvs or radios, just potential snorers. However, the fan provided can drown most of that out. I hope they don't do a complete remodel of the rooms like in the main hotel so that prices can be kept somewhat reasonable for those on more of a budget. The newly remodeled lobby looks wonderful, but the furniture is very uncomfortable for someone of more of a petite stature. I went there to do some needlework one evening when it was raining and ended up leaving after about 1/2 hour. It was made more for those waiting on their dining reservation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Shell8679cat
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a lakeside room which had obviously recently been renovated to a very high and sympathetic standard. So the room is great, the staff were great and there is a very nice bar and lounge to lounge around in. The restaurant though is ridiculous. We hadn't booked in advance and were disappointed that we couldn't get a table as residents. A German couple were told at breakfast that they couldn't reserve a table then, but had to wait until 3.30 - but if course they weren't planning to be back until 6pm. This policy wasn't explained but it's just not good enough. We ourselves chose to dine informally next door which was fine .

Room Tip: It must have a lake view - the alternative is the car park.
Green Features: Look ok on first sight, as you would expect in the middle of a national park
1 Thank Chris201454
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I did not have expectations, as I assumed that hotel in the center of most attractive National Park will not keep standards and will be overpriced. So I was very nicely surprised with this place. This hotel has colonial chic – which means that the rooms are furnished with a style. Bathrooms are renovated, but keep the style, too. Rooms are perfectly clean, large, stylish – I could not wish more. We did not have the view to the lake from our bedroom, but since it was one night only I did not mind – there were many spots with a view, on our floor and at the lounge. Unfortunately, the hotel is very crowded – but I have no idea how they could prevent it. Even if it was crowded we easily found a comfortable spot to contemplate sunset. The location is perfect, as it is in a middle of the park, close to all attractions.
The minor problem were noices from other rooms, as the construction is wooden, so one can hear ofher guest steps. But it was not disturbing.

Room Tip: Of course rooms with a view must be better.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We booked our room in advance. At the time there were only 2 rooms left. We paid $375.00 a night which was price gouging I felt like. The room was nice with a nice view of the lake. There wasn't a TV which didn't bother me but it would have been nice to have had a small refridge in the room. There was a fan in the armoire. I got it out and went to plug it in and the blade was off. We didn't have cell phone service and you had to pay $5.00 an hour for wifi. Went to take a shower and there were only two towels and they weren't plush. We had to call room service to bring up some more towels and another fan. It is a shame that you pay that kind of money and no cell phone service, wifi ,and plush towels are not provided. In this day in time people depend on their cells phones for communicating with family and friends and without service or paying for wifi it seems like another way to squeeze more money out of you. As a citizen of the US I helped pay for the communication system that we have.
We are at the deli that night and the carrot soup was good. I don't think I will stay there again!

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side have a beautiful view of the lake.
Green Features: They were environmentally friendly. They filled up the bottles of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. I wasn't to crazy about using from bottles that other people had access to. They did separate the plastics, paper, ect. in different bins.
1 Thank Digger775
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We had a lovely 2 night stay. The rate of $420 a night was also way out of our budget. WiFi is $12 extra per night and dinner is extremely expensive. The deli serves good coffee and sandwiches and we could pick up something there for breakfast. The hotel has no roll in's so we had to buy a air mattrass on the way for my daughter. The hotel is however beautiful and newly refurbished. The bathroom is beautiful and the amenities supplied of a high quality. The room has a coffee machine. All in all a nice experience if you forget about the price. My advice, pay it and forget about it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ToyMeyer
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We spent 1 night in a queen room for $362. We requested a room with a lake view but none were available. We were in the main building rear, overlooking the parking lot! For $362! I knew going in there was no TV, frig or microwave but expected at least a more spacious room for that price! While the rooms were updated & bright, the walls were very thin. We could hear every step the people above us took. In the morning, the smell of coffee brewing was overwhelming...and it did not come from our room! OK....they spend $30 million renovating the common areas & they were beautiful but at that price, we expected more. Would not stay again.

Room Tip: Reserve FAR in advance & request a lake view only room.
1 Thank Kathyb92752
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Lake Lodge Cabins
Lake Lodge Cabins
#6 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Pahaska Teepee Resort

Been to Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins? Share your experiences!