“Cascade Lodge”
Review of Cascade Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Cascade Lodge
Saint James, New York
“Cascade Lodge”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at the Cascade Lodge for two nights last week. I had requested the Dunraven but all that was available was a 1st floor room. The manager who checked us in said that the room at the Cascade Lodge was on the third floor and was 'better' if you don't mind stairs.

I decided to go with the Cascade Lodge and was glad that I did. Our room was spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. I did not mind the stairs at all. (Dunraven has an elevator)

In the village we ate lunch at the grill one day. The hotdog was great, the fries not so much. We ate dinner one night at the restaurant and that was fine. Nothing special, but decent.

The ice machine down the road was out of order. The sign said to go to the Dunraven for ice. That machine was tapped dry. No big deal, I purchased ice at the general store.

Location of this lodge is great. Very close to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone (duh!) and close enough to feed my dawn and dusk wildlife viewing addiction in the Hayden Valley.

Did not care about no phone, television, or wifi. Actually I enjoyed that. You could get a cell signal while at the village but not at the lodge. That was nice too.

Room Tip: try to get a third floor room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mike K

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Too bad Alan H's review wasn't posted before we left. He couldn't be more correct. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor. The were little kids above us that were running around and presumably jumping off the bed until midnight. I won't get into poor parenting, but you can hear every footstep above you and without a phone in the room, you can't call the hotel management to have something done about any issues. The hotel is not connected to the administration offices. You have to drive there past the tourist cabins so you can't walk down to the office to ask for help as well.

It was clean enough (which is important), but we had dirty drinking glasses, our room's bathtub drain was plugged and ran very S-L-O-W so we were standing in a large amount of water druing our shower and the pillows were awful flat sponges.

The cabins look worse. We didn't see the inside of the cabins, but from the road they look like the best option for them is a run away bulldozer.

Hotel management is useless. They have a monopoly on the lodging in Yellowstone and don't appear to care about the patrons. Too bad the NPS doesn't cancel their contract and bring in Disney or some other company that knows how to run a resort effectively.

Room Tip: Stay at Jackson Lake Ladge if you want to be in a national park.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trip takker101

Travellers are raving about these Yellowstone National Park hotels

Camden, Maine
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Called Yellowstone on the road there. We were headed from Glacier National Park to Yellowstone and felt that it would be a good idea to stay within the Park, especially after a 7 hour ride. We were able to get into Cascade Lodge which is part of Canyon village. The location was very central for touring the area. We came in from the West entrance. Lodge is more towards the East but was not far from our entrance to Park. The Lodge was wonderful. Very clean room. Felt like we were in our own little retreat. Quiet also. We could only get one night there but would stay again if available.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mainer64
Nottingham UK
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Cascade lodge is right next to Dunraven lodge, both are classed as the 'hotel rooms' within Canyon Village. The only other accommodation here are 'log cabins' I haven't been in one but recall the 'shock' of a couple of Americans when they walked into their cabin, they were horrified, they don't look much from the outside either. I asked for Dunraven Lodge on an email to Xanterra but they couldn't or wouldn't accommodate me. However , having previously experienced Xanterra accommodation in Yosemite I must admit I was plesently surprised at how good Cascade Lodge was. Room had two queen beds, 2 chairs and a table and an 'easy chair'. There is no tv in the room nor any wifi, heaven for some but not for my two teenage daughters. You can get wifi at the dining room near the gift shop but for a cost of $4.95 AN HOUR, outrageous Xanterra. I paid $233 a night for a room for 4 of us which was ok when you are located in the park. I booked online 7 months previous. In particular for the Brits mAke sure you take a cooler with you, you can get ice from the ice machine and it's heaven during the long trips around the park. We got one in Wal Mart in Denver at the start of our trip, it had wheels and cost $30. Water in Wal mart was $5 for 24 bottles !!! The cooler soon pays for itself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MATTNottinghamUK
Tacna, Arizona
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was lured to this low-end box of a hotel with the high ranking on Trip Advisor. What a horrible disappointment.

The hotel is a boxy, cheaply constructed human warehouse with no view. Yeah, I know it's Yellowstone and they have no phones and no TVs in the room; no pools or hot tubs anywhere. So what justifies the pricing? Monopoly I guess.

When we checked in I specifically asked the desk clerk for a top floor room, but none were available. I told her I don't like noisy people in overhead rooms. She said she never gets any complaints about that. BS. The people above us were not noisy, but we could hear every single step they took -- and forget about the bathroom noises.

As they used to say on the old Batman show -- the worst is yet to come. The food choices at the mini-mall style restaurant area (about a half mile away) was truly horrific. For example, the teenager ordered plain linguini with butter sauce. When it was served she announced that it tasted like cement. We figured she was just exaggerating -- until we tried it and found that, yes, it tasted like cement. This seems to be the only restaurant in the world that can strew up putting pasta in boiling water.

The last night we were there we bought ramen noodle cups from the equally awful "supermarket". And that turned out to be the best dinner we had in the 4 nights we stayed there. That's truly embarrassing.

The problem with Yellowstone is that you need to drive everywhere. But in our drives we visited the lovely Old Faithful Lodge and the equally beautiful Lake Lodge. Far, far, far superior to the decrepit 60's style Cascade Lodge.

We overheard many languages during our stay here. I wanted to stop every foreigner and apologize for the garbage food and the substandard accommodations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank ALAN H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Just left Yellowstone and enjoyed my stay. We stayed at the Cascade Lodge for one night. We had a room looking out to the parking lot which was okay, nice breeze in the morning when we opened the windows. My two teens went out to the back of the lodge and were greeted by a family of deer. But the best part is the honesty of their housekeeping employees. We realized we left our video camera behind and the staff picked it up and returned it. Thanks again to them.

• Stayed July 2013
Madison, Wis.
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

The room was very basic, but we had a corner room C109 and had two sets of windows next to a brook, and the breeze was wonderful. We were even cold in the a.m. As temps dropped into the 40s. Refreshing after a stuffy stay at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. We chose to drove up to the restaurants and store every day, but you could easily walk. Watch for Buffalo. ;)

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#1 of 8 in Gardiner
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Cascade Lodge? Share your experiences!