“Great home base to anchor a week of awesomeness”
front door entry living room area of Great Room
steam shower in master BR
queen bed in 2nd BR
bunkbed in 2nd BR
two bunkbeds in 3rd BR
top deck with gas BBQ and table
2nd deck with hot tub
view from top deck
view of house from ground level
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
hunnylvr
Tinley Park, Illinois
“Great home base to anchor a week of awesomeness”
Reviewed 7 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

We've never been to Yosemite prior to this week long trip. I had planned it for a year as this was a gift for my fiancee's son and his new wife as a wedding gift. I thought having the space that a house would provide would be a good choice for all of us to better relax after long days of hiking. I was right, and I am glad we chose this house.

It's truly the perfect setting - surrounded by the quiet of the woods. The upper deck provides a quiet, beautiful setting to see the stars and to relax after a long day. There is a terrific gas grill which we used a lot. It's hooked right into the gas line, so no worries about running out of propane, and it gets nice and hot. Also, it is kept very, very clean - pristine, actually. That was a nice surprise. I love to grill, so this was important to me.

One of the other reasons we chose to rent a house was because we prefer to "eat at home" as opposed to restaurant food for a week. When you're doing a lot of hiking, it's nice to be able to make and pack your own food as opposed to trying to find pre-packaged items from a convenience store or having to roll the dice with whatever you might find within the park. Because we all like to cook, I guess this is where my only complaint comes in. While the kitchen itself is nice and spacious - lots of counter room - the cookware is in sad shape. There were three non-stick pans - one average sized frying which was so beat up, it wouldn't even sit flat on the stove top. It kept wobbling from side to side, and if you look at the bottom of the pan, it looks like someone used it as a weapon. The other frying pan was one of the really small ones which was good for maybe making a single grilled cheese sandwich - and it has seen better days. The third pan had high sides but barely any surface room on the bottom to cook - looks more like you could use it wok style. My family has a condo in Florida that we often rent out, so I understand the costs of upkeep to a rental property. However, I also know people who rent a residence do so to save money on things like food - which means they often cook. I don't require Williams Sonoma cookware, but I would appreciate something more useful. A set of two or three decent frying pans (so I can cook more than one thing at a time - say eggs and hashbrowns at the same time) would be great. You can go to Kohl's and get some really nice stuff for under $100. I would HIGHLY suggest doing that and replacing that beat up crap that's under the sink.

The beds were very comfortable. The fact that the bedroooms are downstairs was actually a blessing because it allowed all of us to sleep longer without the sun waking us up at the crack of dawn. My only other suggestion is some new pillows. I'm really not hard to please, but some of those pillows were obviously very old.

All in all, we felt very comfortable at this house, and it was a nice place to come home to each night. We felt settled in which better prepared us for the long days of Yosemite awesomeness. It really is only a mile from the south entrance which was GREAT because it sure helps save on drive time which can be long due to all the winding roads. Also, all the suggestions we were given by Scott and John were very, very helpful. I was able to plan out a lot of things ahead of time which really helped us get the most out of our week.

I would highly recommend this place for your vacation. You will NOT be disappointed. It is truly a home away from home.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: How pretty the place was and its location
Liked least: the cookware
Travelling group: Extended Family
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
Juanita C
San Francisco, California
“Incomparable Natural Beauty and Superb Accommodations”
Reviewed 15 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

Nestled in the rustic beauty of skyscraping pines, the House that Ruza Built beckons you to enter. As you follow the curving private road and ease into a welcoming driveway, the cacophony of the highway falls away and a warm cathedral silence descends. Reflecting its exterior aesthetics, the interior of this lovely retreat has a wood paneled great room (fully-loaded kitchen, dining/living room area), which leads out to a deck where you can listen to nature communing as you drink your morning coffee or BBQ your evening meal.

After a day hiking amongst the emerald giants in the surrounding grove, or in the World Heritage site of Yosemite located two miles away, you can return to this splendid oasis and sit in a hot tub on the lower deck; take a steam bath to relax your aching muscles; or simply sink into the cloud-like couch (or beds) and appreciate the art adorning the walls, watch a movie or log onto the Internet--it's all available. The irresistible luxury of these accommodations, near a world class destination where you can experience the unforgettable sights of the raw rocky splendor of El Capitan, Half Dome and Glacier Point, is unbeatable.

We have visited Yosemite on countless occasions and stayed at White Wolf, in Yosemite Village, as well as camping at Crane Flat, but none of those stays have provided the luxury, tranquility and attentiveness to details found at the House that Ruza Built. There are few experiences that can exceed the natural beauty of entering Yosemite at the North Entrance, driving down and circling Yosemite Valley and exiting via Wawona, with a quick stop at Bridalveil Falls, as you hasten to your destination at the House that Ruza Built.

A true home away from home, this hidden gem amongst the evergreens provided us with a lovely and incomparable experience. Of course, the real icing on the cake were our amazing hosts with their plethora of assistance/directions/tips. Many, many thanks and repeated gracias to Scott and John. We look forward to our next visit!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quick access to Yosemite, the natural setting of the premises and the superb accommodations.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Families with young children
lkrause8
Los Angeles, California
“Absolute Perfection. Paradise in the Woods.”
Reviewed 16 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015
people found this review helpful

The photos don't properly do it justice. This place was a great deal and was so close to the park entrance. John who checked us in/out was very kind and had a lot of great tips outside of the typical Yosemite tourist spots. Everything in the place was clean and kept up and the hot tub is the perfect way to unwind your tense muscles after an arduous hike. I truly couldn't speak more highly of this cabin! I've already recommended it to two friends looking to visit Yosemite in the next month.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the hot tub overlooking the woods
Liked least: the master bedroom needs a real curtain! I had to coordinate with my friends when I could change in my own room.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Maurício...
“Great house”
Reviewed 27 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Beautiful, big, comfortable and perfectly clean house near Yosemite NP South Entrance. The house even has two clothes washers and two dryers. Both Scott, the owner, and John, the property manager, were very helpful. John gave us many tips about Yosemite hikes. Highly recommended.

Travelling group: Young Children
Jazmin A
“Exceeded my expectations!”
Reviewed 2 December 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

This house is amazing! My family and I stayed in this house for a couple of nights this past weekend. We loved it! By far the best placed I have ever booked. Scott, the owner of the house, and John, the manager, were very nice and helpful. The house is big and beautiful, let alone the view of the beautiful trees. I would describe this house as spacious, neat and clean. My family and I will definitely be back again.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Space_M0n...
SINGAPORE
“Unbelievable Cosy Stay within minutes from the Yosemite Park Entrance”
Reviewed 22 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

Our group (two couples) stayed at the house for three nights and it was an amazing stay. Firstly the house was amazing, nice woody cosy feel with a well equipped kitchen. We love the deck it allows us to look at at the woods and the stars. The place is really close to the Yosemite Park entrance (mariposa grove) within minutes - about 40 minutes to the Yosemite village. I would prefer to stay at the house which is just outside the park with better driving access to town where they have a Von supermarket and 24 hours dining (Denny) - 15 minutes to OakHurst. John, the caretaker, is awesome and provide such good tips and super helpful. It helps that is is just staying closeby to the house. On one occasion, we need to call to him for help when we lock ourselves out of the house - problem resolved within minutes. And Scott, the owner, is superb responsive & friendly, and provided great information for the trip. In short, great place, great people and super convenient for your adventure in Yosemite Park. I will be back again !

Travelling group: Friends
Doron1000
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great retreat in Yusemitie”
Reviewed 20 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

This house is really perfect for a family (or two). Spacious, comfortamle, good well equiped kitchen, WiFi...
John knows the area very well an gives one a good orientation.
Good pay per value provided a party of 3 or more
Most importan: situted at 5min from parknentrance

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing