“Nice Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Hodgdon Meadow Campground
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I stayed in Hodgdon Meadows Campground during October.

It is quite easy to access. It is literally right inside the gate on HWY 120. We arrived at about 2 oclock in the morning. The campground had left our information for us since we were arriving way after the ranger left for the night. Our campsite was easy to find....even in the pitch dark. We were on one of the back loop for tents only. So the area behind us was nothing but many, many trees.

Even though the campsites are close to one another, I still liked the grounds. It is covered in trees and has great atmosphere. It snowed the 2nd day we were there. This combined with the fact the weekend was over meant that alot of people left the campgrounds. So it was rather quite for the rest of our visit.

The bathrooms were clean and had ample supply of TP. However, there are no showers and no hot water. i did not ever see any camp hosts, so I can't comment on them. The ranger who manned the entry post was very pleasant and helpful with information on road closings and general info.

It is about a 45 minute drive to the other areas of the park... but this was expected. I am glad that i didn't stay in the valley, because it was rather crowded and noisy there. I would like to try to say up in Tuolemne meadows if I go back to the park. This was probably my favorite part of the park.

One note... be careful about your clothes! I have a tent that has 2 vestibules. We kept our
backpacks in them. One day i did not secure the top of my backpack. We dropped by the campgrounds for lunch and I noticed something white in the trees behind my tent... It was one of my thermal shirts!! One of the ground squirrels must have drug it about 30 feet before giving up! We made sure all of our packs were tightly closed afterwards. Oddly, every emphasis is put on Bear safety in regards to food and hygiene items... no bears for us.. Just lots of squirrels!

If you go and are car tenting... give this one a try... nice place!

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank texasfla

Reviewed 6 August 2009

Yosemite is glorious, Hodgdon Meadow is good to base yourself at while still being in the park, it is just inside the gate. You need to allow 30-40 mins each day to drive into Yosemite villiage and get a park. The sites are well serviced for water and toilets however there are no showers and you need to be prepared each say to have clean clothes in the car with you to have a shower in Curry Village before heading back at night otherwise you would spend your night driving to and from a hot shower. The sites are not level, each site has a pad that is slightly more level than other parts but you get used to that. The hike to the upper Yosemite falls is just breathtaking and worth every painful step up, my advise would be to begin training a month or two out for the climb, 30 mins walking a day with some stairs and incline would suffice. The view is brilliant and so is Yosemite.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

This is a beatiful place. I really loved the privacy that we had. Driving to Yosemite Valley was not a problem, it's not that far. The only little disadvantage is that there's no showers. We drove to Yosemite Valley, spent most of the day there, showered and drove back at the end of the day. We really enjoyed our stay at Hodgdon Meadow!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank cooks09
Reviewed 14 March 2008

My son (7) and I drive to Yosemite every summer from the Bay Area. We have always stopped at Hodgdon for 3 days and then gone on to a hotel in the Valley. If you really wished you were camping in the Valley you'd be dissapoined because it's certainly not as pretty and a long drive to get down there and back. So it probably gets a bad rap becasue of people who overflow up from the overbooked Valley sites but its really not a bad campsite.

Pros: The campsites are fine and there's clean water and full bathrooms. There'a nice walk in the meadow, about a 1 mile loop that was perfect when we started coming (Liam was 3). It's not too far from the Crane Flat store if you run out of essentials. Best of all, it's 1/4 mile from the park entrance if you come in from the west via HWY 120 and about 1/4m off the main road, so basically no extra driving on the way to the Valley. It cuts 45 minutes off your trip from the west, camp a few nights then it's a short hop into the Valley. They take reservations which is a plus if you can plan ahead.

Cons: There's not much to do here in the days. You could entertain a family for one day on site with the small hike, visiting other camp sites, etc. but after that you have to think of it as base for car trips out into the park.. Some of the group sites get a little noisy so we try to camp away from them.

Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank royroyroy
Reviewed 9 August 2007

Hodgdon Meadow is an RV parking spot. If you're not in an RV, I'd highly advise against it. The campsites are so close that talking at a normal level means your neighbors hear your conversations clearly.

From Hodgdon you're 24 miles from Yosemite Valley and have to drive to do everything. We were asked to keep it down playing a card game (3 adults, 2 kids) at 10:20PM.

At 1:00PM, when no one was around, the camp host (witch) threated to call law enforcement over the music level (barely loud enough for us, nothing crazy), which at the time was the band U2.

Don't go, save yourself!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank JustinTahoe
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Miserable. That's how I'd describe Hodgdon.

My family and I have camped all over, and we were really looking forward to this Yosemite trip. The campground is still 23 miles outside of the Yosemite park proper. The sites are very cramped and stacked on top of each other. The bathrooms were dirty and there weren't enough facilities for the amount of people. There were no showers.

I could have lived with all of that, but the camp hosts at this time are really bad. One in particular ran that campground like it was her kingdom, and she loved the power. We were approached the first time because our 7 year old son was laughing too loud while playing cards. We were approached again when we were playing music (to the point where we could barely hear it) at 1 PM on Friday. She lived for infractions and loved confrontation. We stayed for 4 days, and considered leaving after the 2nd day.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KimberWolf
Reviewed 6 August 2006

I stayed at this campground last year for 2 days. I have visited Yosemite for 20 yrs. This campground is out of the beaten path, but the roads are paved and the bathrooms are clean. This is a great place to bring your family. I found the camphosts to be very friendly and helpful. Just be ready to drive a bit to Tolumne and Yosemite.

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank tinkergnome
#9 of 23 in Yosemite National Park
Half Dome Village
Half Dome Village
#1 of 23 in Yosemite National Park

Been to Hodgdon Meadow Campground? Share your experiences!