Hodgdon Meadow Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
See available hotels
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel(Yosemite National Park)
  • Pool
Yosemite Valley Lodge(Yosemite National Park)
  • Pool
Tioga Pass Resort(Lee Vining)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Big Trees Lodge(Yosemite National Park)
Rush Creek Lodge(Groveland)
  • Pool
All reviewspark entrancewash your handsbring your ownwoodtoiletstreeselevationsoapluxury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2010

This campground seemed to be mostly for RVs but we were perfectly fine in a tent. The camp sites were clean and spacious. Great place to stay if you want to enjoy the Yosemite Valley and escape from the crowds in the evening. Overall a quiet and decent campground. The bathrooms are typical of a public campground bathroom. There is no soap and no hot water and no showers. We hiked during the day in Yosemite Valley and on our way home stopped at the public showers. We enjoyed our overnight stay here and for $20 per night who can complain!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lodimandy
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Hodgdon Meadow Campground is a great place to stay inside Yosemite if you don't want to stay inside the valley with the crowds. I thought the campsite was kept very clean. The bathrooms were always clean and full of the necessary supplies. There are no showers at this camp ground, but there are showers in Curry Village, in the valley, for $5 per person. The showers provide towels if needed and the stalls were clean. There is also no place to wash clothes at the campground. There is a gas station and small corner store about 8 miles from the campsite inside the park. The gas prices are a little high, but it is a good place to pick up ice or other little things. There is large grocery store in the Valley that has everything you could want. The Valley is a good 30 minute ride (without traffic), but the drive is so beautiful, everytime we went down to valley I fell in love with the drive even more.

We bought fire wood in the valley for $6.50 per box. It was good wood but it burned quickly.

The campsites have bear lockers which easily held our two large ice chests and other tools. The sites are pretty close together, but there are enough trees to help them feel private.

Lastly, we drove up from the south entrance to the park and it took about an hour and a half to get to the campsite, so be prepared to drive a bit when you get inside the park.

I would defiantly stay at this campsite again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vjack0887
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Our family stayed at group site D last weekend and had a great time. As was mentioned on the previous reviews, the bathrooms up the hill has flushing toliets and were cleaned everyday which kept them decent. Overall, great place to stay especially with a group.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank martinishaker7
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I stayed in Hodgdon Meadows Campground during October.

It is quite easy to access. It is literally right inside the gate on HWY 120. We arrived at about 2 oclock in the morning. The campground had left our information for us since we were arriving way after the ranger left for the night. Our campsite was easy to find....even in the pitch dark. We were on one of the back loop for tents only. So the area behind us was nothing but many, many trees.

Even though the campsites are close to one another, I still liked the grounds. It is covered in trees and has great atmosphere. It snowed the 2nd day we were there. This combined with the fact the weekend was over meant that alot of people left the campgrounds. So it was rather quite for the rest of our visit.

The bathrooms were clean and had ample supply of TP. However, there are no showers and no hot water. i did not ever see any camp hosts, so I can't comment on them. The ranger who manned the entry post was very pleasant and helpful with information on road closings and general info.

It is about a 45 minute drive to the other areas of the park... but this was expected. I am glad that i didn't stay in the valley, because it was rather crowded and noisy there. I would like to try to say up in Tuolemne meadows if I go back to the park. This was probably my favorite part of the park.

One note... be careful about your clothes! I have a tent that has 2 vestibules. We kept our
backpacks in them. One day i did not secure the top of my backpack. We dropped by the campgrounds for lunch and I noticed something white in the trees behind my tent... It was one of my thermal shirts!! One of the ground squirrels must have drug it about 30 feet before giving up! We made sure all of our packs were tightly closed afterwards. Oddly, every emphasis is put on Bear safety in regards to food and hygiene items... no bears for us.. Just lots of squirrels!

If you go and are car tenting... give this one a try... nice place!

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank texasfla
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Yosemite is glorious, Hodgdon Meadow is good to base yourself at while still being in the park, it is just inside the gate. You need to allow 30-40 mins each day to drive into Yosemite villiage and get a park. The sites are well serviced for water and toilets however there are no showers and you need to be prepared each say to have clean clothes in the car with you to have a shower in Curry Village before heading back at night otherwise you would spend your night driving to and from a hot shower. The sites are not level, each site has a pad that is slightly more level than other parts but you get used to that. The hike to the upper Yosemite falls is just breathtaking and worth every painful step up, my advise would be to begin training a month or two out for the climb, 30 mins walking a day with some stairs and incline would suffice. The view is brilliant and so is Yosemite.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple