We got stuck in Yosemite when a truck crashed at the southern exit, blocking us from our hotel. Wawona, as the southern most lodge within the park, was overwhelmed by walk ins, tired after a long day in the park and hoping to have a place to rest their head opposed to driving three hours around to Oakhurst in the middle of the night.
The staff at Wawona handled the situation effortlessly. They were able to get us a room, and the service was impeccable all around. They even contacted our other hotel (Tenaya Lodge) and transfered the reservation for us. The next morning, the same manager was there (wearing her clothes from the night before) and the same front desk attendant. I don't know if they all worked through the night, or had to fill in for people unable to get to work on time, but they were all bright and cheery as if nothing was out of the ordinary.
We stayed in one of the rooms with a private bath in the annex. Built in 1918, this is the newest building on property. The room was small, but clean and very cute. If your idea of vacation is Pay-Per-View movies and room service, Wawona is not for you! There are no TVs on property, many of the rooms have shared bath (note, if you get a private bath, don't open that room in your bathroom... it goes to the adjacent room) and the walls are paper thin, but at least they give you ear plugs!
The main lodge building is super cute. Between stints of hiking and sight seeing, I recommend everyone take a trip back in time, and read a book or play a game in the lounge to experience what Wawona was like when it was built in the 1800s. At the end of the trip, I preferred our night at Wawona over the more luxurious Tenaya because of the warmth of the staff and the charm of the accomodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park