My gosh! It's really hard to know how to approach a review of this hotel. 1. It is a lot more than a hotel. It personifies "Old Yosemite". When I walk the grounds or walk through the hotel I revel in the knowledge that I'm walking in the footsteps of the pioneers of Yosemite, my favorite place on earth. From as far back as I can remember until my teens, Yosemite was the highlight of summer. I, my family, and extended family would spend two to four weeks almost every summer camping in Yosemite. (Aunt and cousins were teachers.) So Yosemite is a huge part of my great memories of childhood. I remember driving by the Wawona on our way to the valley and always thinking how I'd love to stay there. Now we can and do. 2. It is a ways from the valley so a completely different experience from staying at the Lodge, the Ahwahnee, or camping in the valley. Think, traffic jams, the smell of exhaust, and noisy hoards of people in the valley. At the Wawona think quiet, restful relaxation. 3. A review for the Wawona would be a lot different depending on the season. The best thing going for it in the summer is a beautiful place to stay in a beautiful location, away from the maddening crowd. In all seasons (closed part of winter) you can sit and relax, or hike the many trails less traveled (some to lesser known waterfalls). So rather than complain about the lack of amenities in a 150 year old hotel, relish the opportunity of being able to experience some time with the grand old dame of Yosemite
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park