We booked the Wawona Hotel because we wanted a hotel which was in Yosemite Park, thinking that it would be closer to the main lodge area. In reality we could have actually stayed outside as the Wawona is still about a 45 min drive from the lodge.
As we booked late, we could only get rooms in the “historic” main building, which don’t have en-suite bathrooms. We arrived quite late and the lady on the desk seemed to have some problems with our credit card; the next day I found it had been blocked as she had tried to put the same transaction though 4 times.
The rooms were.... simple. No wardrobe, just hooks on the wall. No TV, radio, aircon, just a ceiling fan and a portable fan. As we were on the first floor windows opened on to the public balcony outside, which everyone has to use to go to and from the wash room and showers. And there lay our major problem. The rooms were HOT. The only way to try to cool them was to open the window and place the fan in it to get cool air in, but that meant everyone who walked past could see in the room.
The rest of the hotel was “quaint”. Objectively it was a bit run down (although the showers and toilets were modern and very clean), the wifi only worked in one small part of the building and the bar closed at 9.30 on a Saturday night.
However it was also charming, the barbeque dinner was great as was the pianist / sing-a-long in the lounge, and the local line dance in the barn just down the hill. Its also a pretty location.
Overall we enjoyed it, but know what you are getting into, if you think "high class camping with a roof", you won’t be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park