The Wawona Hotel is reminiscent of much earlier times in our history. You are taken back and can picture folks arriving my stagecoach for their much anticipated Yosemite Adventure from San Francisco and the east coast. You can picture the ladies in their long dresses with petticoats and big hats gracefully descending from the carriages and ascending the wide hotel staircase to the main hotel lobby off of the veranda. We stayed in the Washburn Cottage in Veranda #W0002 which is on the ground floor and the backside of the building which stayed nice and cool. The furnishings were modern but fit the era. Queen bed was set very tall and was very comfortable. There were two adirondack chairs on the veranda deck to relax with a cold drink. In the evening at 5:30pm went to the main hotel and set on the veranda and sipped a mint julep and some appetizers while listening to the very talented pianist before heading to dinner in their charming dining room with the period replica hand painted shades on the ceiling lighting. Favorite dinner was the old fashioned pot roast! The place is charming and quaint and sits next to the Wawona Visitor Center and Pioneer History Center where some of the original homestead cabins have been relocated for your viewing pleasure. Our first morning we caught the 9am Mariposa Grove Shuttle at the Wawona General Store and arrived at the grove just in time to catch the Big Trees Tram at 9:30am which lasts about and hour and a half. I understand this is the last year for the tram which has audio over headphones narrating what you are seeing. Perfection!!! Wouldn't change a thing! Wawona Hotel being at the South Entrance of Yosemite is much quieter with a much slower and relaxed pace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park