“Worth it”
Review of Panorama Trail

Panorama Trail
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hike was intense, especially for a couple of city dwellers, but the views were unparalleled. If you're not used to hiking, I would do what we did and take the bus up to Glacier Point and hike down. Also, if you really want breathtaking, use the mist trail instead of the John Muir trail... the waterfalls are incredible. It's not easy, and will make you conquer your fear of heights, but you will definitely be glad you did it.

1  Thank Colton P
"favorite hike"
"bring lots of water"
"uneven steps"

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This trail provides amazing views of the valley and falls. We took the 4 mile trail up to Glacier Pt. and connected to Panorama Trail over to the Mist Trail (13 miles total). What a spectacular way to see Yosemite.

2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Bring water (I drank 3 liters), a camera and snacks. We took the tram up and hiked down, but for the more determined take 4 mile up and then hike down. If you can only do one trail, do thus one

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is the hike if you are in Yosemite Valley in the summer time. Great views of the Valley and three waterfalls along the way. Be prepared for muscle fatigue if you are not in top condition.

1  Thank EricBurnett
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I hiked this trail at the end of June, and it was a fantastic experience. Since we had limited time, we opted not to hike up to Glacier Point, but take the bus instead. (Plus, ascending 3,000 feet in 4 miles does not sound all that fun.) The buses up to Glacier Point leave from the lodge at 8:30, 10:00, and 1:30. I recommend reserving your tickets in advance, if possible. Once at the top, you can use the restroom and load up on pre-hike calories at the cafe.

The Panorama Trail is diverse in scenery and landscape, but I loved every step. My favorite part was the mile leaving Glacier Point, a gentle decline through ancient forests which provided unobstructed views of the canyon. Many switchbacks make the descent (and the 1.5 mile ascent) less severe. There is also a short, unmarked detour called Panorama Point. Look for the trail that veers left about half a mile after you cross the bridge over Illilouette Creek. I only learned about it after our hike, but apparently it offers unrivaled views. Depending on your pace, the entire hike will take you between 3.5 and 6 hours. So bring plenty of water, snacks, and lunch. There is just as much sun as shade along the trail, so pack sunblock or a hat, too. There are bathrooms located at Glacier Point, Nevada Falls, and Vernal Falls. From Glacier Point to Vernal Falls, we only passed about a dozen other hikers. It wasn't until Vernal Falls that we met up with the hordes of others coming up the Mist Trail.

If I could do the hike over, I would have opted to enter the valley using the John Muir Trail instead of the Mist Trail. Granted, the Mist presents some neat photo opportunities of the falls. But the seemingly unending steps down to the valley are too hard on the calf muscles. I consider myself to be in great shape and was wearing decent hiking boots, yet I was nearly in tears by the time we reached Happy Isles. I was too sore the next day to consider even the easiest of hikes.

13  Thank roadtripfamof5